Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

I am interested in this bike with a 1x Force AXS groupset. A question - if I buy the purple Force AXS Caledonia-5 buid can I change it to 1x by simple removal of the front derailleur and then swap out the crankset. It correct to say that I cannot re-use the 2x chainset for 1x as the spider design is different?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I run 1x on a "standard 2x crankset" on Cervelo S5 as a flat racing bike without any problems.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

maquisard wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:29 am
I am interested in this bike with a 1x Force AXS groupset. A question - if I buy the purple Force AXS Caledonia-5 buid can I change it to 1x by simple removal of the front derailleur and then swap out the crankset. It correct to say that I cannot re-use the 2x chainset for 1x as the spider design is different?
Take off the FD, and buy a 1x AXS chainring. Believe the 1x ring will fit on the same spider that holds the 2x chainring setup.

maquisard

by maquisard

Thanks, this is good news!

If only the Force AXS build frame was not purple... :|

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Pics
Attachments
DE6E85CC-0BB9-445A-8DD7-90AAD85CE07E.jpeg
429A2D72-DC48-4CC4-9852-4320A6F69E1D.jpeg
669FCDE0-85FC-4437-98A7-A24955E20DB7.jpeg

pmprego

by pmprego

woodyvalentine wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:54 am
Bad photo.
Build:
Red axs full
Easton ec90 aero 55
Waiting for parts.
Also building an Aspero with Axs + Easton EA90 wheels.
Is the handlebar proprietary? Or any 31.8mm will work?

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Handlebar is semi proprietary. The cervelo bars don't actually get routed internally. They just have channels. Then that gets routed internally in the stem. So you can't use a standard round bar. You could likely use FSA ACR or Deda DCR bars as well. But the stem has a wide clamp so not sure if it would accomodate.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

64C5A297-B82D-4D8F-BAFB-EEE957AF686D.jpeg
Here’s an IG photo I stumbled on which shows a Caledonia with a Deda stem (and I’m guessing bar as well).

nunokas

by nunokas

Hi.
Do you think the Aspero Bento box, smartpack400a, is compatible with the top tube mount on the normal Caledonia?

This thread needs more Caledonia pics :thumbup:

pmprego

by pmprego

woodyvalentine wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:43 pm
Handlebar is semi proprietary. The cervelo bars don't actually get routed internally. They just have channels. Then that gets routed internally in the stem. So you can't use a standard round bar. You could likely use FSA ACR or Deda DCR bars as well. But the stem has a wide clamp so not sure if it would accomodate.
Ok, routed internally through the stem. A no-go then. Thanks for the answer though.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

nunokas wrote:Hi.
Do you think the Aspero Bento box, smartpack400a, is compatible with the top tube mount on the normal Caledonia?

This thread needs more Caledonia pics :thumbup:
Yes it does.....I m waiting for mine .... 2weeks to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

It has arrived.....

3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

It is build up and have changed from stock components to the following
- Enve 3.4AR with Rene Hirse Tires 32mm wide
- Specialized S-Works Power Mirror

Weight at 7.83kg .... will save some more once different thruImage
axle, seatpost, and tires to 30mm have been installed.

And Fenders are easy enough to install, at least it looks like it.....just need to wait until right size tire have arrived (don‘t know yet which one to get).

Strava
Instagram

peterm

by peterm

I really like the concept/design of the Caledonia and I am trying to decide between getting a Caledonia Ultegra Mechanical($3500) and upgrading the wheels, or getting a Caledonia-5 Ultegra Di2.($6500)

Clearly the basic Caledonia is the sensbile option - though I tend to keep my bikes a long time so I am wondering if I can justify the expense of the Caledonia-5. My bike shop is saying I will likely have to wait until April/May to take delivery of either one.

The do have a Caledonia Ultegra Di2 in stock in my size but I have to say that the matte black finish is not that impressive in the flesh - there is quite a lot of variation in the texture of the color - I feel if I am paying over 4k for a bike its finish should wow me a little.

I see some appeal from the electronic shifting but once I go down that route, I feel you would want to get the full clean stem integration look and a nice paint job, so all of a sudden the price of the bike has doubled.... I guess the problem with 6500 bikes is how good 3500 bikes are these days and yet the manufacturers still find a few ways to tempt us to pay more ;-)

A couple of concrete questions:
Has anyone weighed a Caledonia-5 Ultegra Di2 - Bike Radar said it was 8.6 kg in a 58?
( I weighted the Caledonia Ultegra Di2 in the shop in a 56 and it came to 8.7kg)
Has anyone else noticed the blochy finish on the matte black models - maybe more prevalent on early models?

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Does anybody know the thru axle thread size for the front and rear on the Caledonia 5?

Strava
Instagram