Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

tr0n wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:14 pm
Thanks for answering tmanley und Steve K. Will try a different kind of paste next. Annoying to deal with such issues on a bike in that price range
Have you greased internal surfaces according to manual? Do you use 8Nm torque? Are you sure it is the seatpost?
Cannondale Supersix is infamous for seatpost creaking but I havn't read it about Caledonia 5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Steve K wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 pm
tr0n wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:50 pm
Did any of the Caledonia 5 owners on here experience creaking of the seatpost/seatpost wedge? did you find a fix for it? I already regreased the wedge and used plenty of carbon paste on the seatpost/frame but it reocurrs after some km.
I tried so much paste and never got rid of the creak. Effeto Mariposa carbogrip did the trick though.

Has anyone had any luck finding a retailer with the ACR bearing cover from FSA in stock for the Caledonia-5?
I asked FSA distributor and got a message it will be available in October in Italy. Sold out everywhere. So I am on stock Caledonia cockpit and I quite like it... why do you want to change?

paulpongco

by paulpongco

Hello, very interested in getting a caledonia. I know it is an endurance bike . I currently have the Venge size 56 (Stack 555 Reach 398) with 100mm stem. I am considering the caledonia since i need a shorter reach bike with roughly the same stack. The size 54 Caledonia has Stack 555 and Reach 378. This seems to fit my requirement. You think this will work? Thanks.

hannawald

by hannawald

paulpongco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:37 am
Hello, very interested in getting a caledonia. I know it is an endurance bike . I currently have the Venge size 56 (Stack 555 Reach 398) with 100mm stem. I am considering the caledonia since i need a shorter reach bike with roughly the same stack. The size 54 Caledonia has Stack 555 and Reach 378. This seems to fit my requirement. You think this will work? Thanks.
Seems to me this downsizing should work very well for you. It´s an endurance bike but with racing pedigree. It´s actually used by pros on cobbles.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Anyone getting loose stem bolts anywhere? I keep having to retighten stem and headset bolt. Yes both are torqued correctly. It's mostly the steerer pinch bolts coming loose. I have the carbon ST-31 stem. Ok to use blue loctite?? I read the very old thread on loctite, mixed opinions. Seems ok in the end.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

paulpongco wrote:Hello, very interested in getting a caledonia. I know it is an endurance bike . I currently have the Venge size 56 (Stack 555 Reach 398) with 100mm stem. I am considering the caledonia since i need a shorter reach bike with roughly the same stack. The size 54 Caledonia has Stack 555 and Reach 378. This seems to fit my requirement. You think this will work? Thanks.
Came from a TCR ML... this is what I did.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

woodyvalentine wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:09 am
Anyone getting loose stem bolts anywhere? I keep having to retighten stem and headset bolt. Yes both are torqued correctly. It's mostly the steerer pinch bolts coming loose. I have the carbon ST-31 stem. Ok to use blue loctite?? I read the very old thread on loctite, mixed opinions. Seems ok in the end.
I quite have the same problem. The expander should be torqued at 8Nm. I can't do 8Nm because it expands the steerer tube so much the stem can't move. So I just use something like 6.5 Nm. I set up everything. After a ride I need to retighten them stem bolts. After couple of rides and retightenings, stem bolts stop loosing the torque...but the expander bolt is probably not torqued ok and my headset is loose. So I am thinking about using carbon paste on the expander and loctite on stem bolts. I won't use loctite on top cap bolt. I did once on different bike and not long after that the water got into the headtube while cleaning the bike and the bolt seized in the expander...

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

hannawald wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:59 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:09 am
I quite have the same problem. The expander should be torqued at 8Nm. I can't do 8Nm because it expands the steerer tube so much the stem can't move. So I just use something like 6.5 Nm. I set up everything. After a ride I need to retighten them stem bolts. After couple of rides and retightenings, stem bolts stop loosing the torque...but the expander bolt is probably not torqued ok and my headset is loose. So I am thinking about using carbon paste on the expander and loctite on stem bolts. I won't use loctite on top cap bolt. I did once on different bike and not long after that the water got into the headtube while cleaning the bike and the bolt seized in the expander...
Are you on the Caledonia 5 or regular? Sounds like the regular since the C-5 bonds the expander plug to the D Shaped steerer with epoxy so it's fixed in there.

Yeah I probably wouldn't use loctite on the top cap bolt since once it's preloaded the pinch bolts do the work. Perhaps a very tiny amount.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

It looks like Cervelo changed the expander plug on the R5 so perhaps they started doing this on newer Caledonia5's to stop having to use expoxy to bond it.

Regardless, still need to likely use blue loctite for stem bolts.

hannawald

by hannawald

woodyvalentine wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:32 pm
It looks like Cervelo changed the expander plug on the R5 so perhaps they started doing this on newer Caledonia5's to stop having to use expoxy to bond it.

Caledonia 5 with D-shaped expander... i would like to try the old plug but you can´t source it anywhere. I have asked Cervelo...

hannawald

by hannawald

hannawald wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:16 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:32 pm

Caledonia 5 with D-shaped expander... i would like to try the old plug but you can´t source it anywhere. I have asked Cervelo - sold out...

Haggarty

by Haggarty

Has anyone heard any rumours for new frame colourways or updates for 2023?
Spoke to a Cervelo dealer today who said he has seen some new funky colours for the S5 and R5 (i assume to somewhat align with the new soloist colours) but nothing on the Cal5.
I'm planning on pulling the trigger at some point but would love to know whether it's worth holding out for a 2023!

TLN

by TLN

How do people generally like stock Caledonia wheels? Reserve 35 or Reserve 40|44?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

dalex

by dalex

forklifter wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:30 am
dalex wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:57 pm
Here's my Caledonia. 56 cm DI2 model with following changes from stock:
- My old Rotor Flow SRM (110 BCD) with new Praxis 52-36 aero chaingrings
Does the crank work well in conjunction with the chainline on the Caledonia?
I have not had any problems with chainline. It's a road crankset, and Caledonia is still a road as opposed to gravel frame. Because of this I also kept the Ultegra road front mech (as opposed to the GRX rear mech.) Sorry for the slow reply, only recently saw your post... I still find it an awesome bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Calendonia 5 (and R5) recalled . Ah the joys of a D shaped steerer.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/new ... edonia-5s/
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.