Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

tmanley wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:17 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:So regular stem, no wedge. Can virtually use anything then. Regular stem + ACR/DCR bars (Wout set up), or ACR/DCR one piece cockpits (Primoz), or Shimano Pro new one piece, Etc.
I’m still getting up to speed on ACR/DCR parts - what products are available and worth investigating more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends what type of cockpit you want. When you order a Caledonia 5 (frame or complete) you can pick stem and bar sizes (and seatpost). So I didn't see the need to get non Cervelo components. So unless you hate the cockpit then I'd stick with stock, or if it's for fit purposes.

If you want non stock: For a stem, I wouldn't use ACR or DCR stems on a Caledonia 5 (or R5). I'd only use those bars since it's needed for the hole in the middle. Shimano Pro also has bars with a hole in the middle. Then for a stem I'd use whatever you want as long as it's got a hole through to the steerer. Many do, some don't.

Don't need any different headset parts. Maybe a different headset cap if you don't like the look of the stock.

I don't mind the look of FSA ACR NS stems, but would look elsewhere first.

Depends on budget and fit, and if aero matters or not.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Pics attached.
Attachments
4A50D1C3-42CA-403C-9B75-8BFAC3B98A2A.jpeg
A4DE2947-8586-413F-A2A6-71A8726CA099.jpeg
0DB1772E-EF16-4170-8F88-D43FD94DBD44.jpeg
6C6605C8-F203-4E7C-8412-40C8F54FAC6E.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

Very useful to see. I'm tempted to use an Enve Aero stem (I have it on another bike - need to see if I can route wires/cables, https://www.enve.com/product/aero-stem/). There's a steerer sleeve that allow you to run the stem at -7* or -17*, so in theory, once you run all the cables and wires with the sleeve in place, you can effectively change stem angles without having to touch anything other than the stem.

It would be a nice way to have some adjustability as I like to run a slammed stem when it's race season but flip it the other way in the off-season.

UPDATE - I checked my existing Enve Aero stem and it won't work. The channel at the handlebar clamp doesn't run all the way to the steerer tube, nor does the sleeve have enough room for cables (but you could "modify" this with some Dremel work :D ). Oh well.

JWTS

by JWTS

I'm curious if anyone knows of any integrated handlebar that will work on the Caledonia 5. I'm thinking of making the switch, as it looks like a great one-bike solution; race bike with fender mounts and suitable for light gravel. I'll be sad to leave my Vision Metron behind. First world problems...

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

JWTS wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:21 pm
I'm curious if anyone knows of any integrated handlebar that will work on the Caledonia 5. I'm thinking of making the switch, as it looks like a great one-bike solution; race bike with fender mounts and suitable for light gravel. I'll be sad to leave my Vision Metron behind. First world problems...
You can use the vision metron 5D acr. Roglic uses it on his R5 which uses the same steerer.

Also Deda alanera DCR, or Shimano Pro new 1 piece cockpit. It just needs a hole through the stem. Read posts above and see pictures.

tmanley

by tmanley

Enve, which is now building their own frames, has a nice one piece unit incorporated into their builds. I inquired with them if this would be brought to market and they said it would be available in the first half of 2022.

JWTS

by JWTS

Thanks to all. I somehow missed some of the responsed on the ACR stems. Looks like the Metron Arc integrated bar will in fact work. which is great. I have the non-ARC version and it's a really nice piece.

Beatmaker

by Beatmaker

Pushed the button on a Caledonia 5 Ultegra Di2 today. Will be here next week. Am excite.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:20 pm
JWTS wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:21 pm
You can use the vision metron 5D acr. Roglic uses it on his R5 which uses the same steerer.

Also Deda alanera DCR, or Shimano Pro new 1 piece cockpit. It just needs a hole through the stem. Read posts above and see pictures.
Do you know the difference between the R5/Caledonia steerer and the S3 Steerer? Can I use an ACR stem in a S3 as well?
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Martin.dk wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:45 am
Do you know the difference between the R5/Caledonia steerer and the S3 Steerer? Can I use an ACR stem in a S3 as well?
The S3 has a modern version of a quill stem. You cannot use any other stem because there is literally nothing to attach it to. See the manual for how it works.

https://www.cervelo.com/media/gene-cms/ ... b_v2.3.pdf

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:39 pm
Martin.dk wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:45 am
The S3 has a modern version of a quill stem. You cannot use any other stem because there is literally nothing to attach it to. See the manual for how it works.

https://www.cervelo.com/media/gene-cms/ ... b_v2.3.pdf
Ah yes 🤦🏼‍♂️. Thanks
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

JWTS

by JWTS

Pulled the trigger on a Caledonia 5, di2 Ultegra, along with the Metron ACR integrated bar/stem. Going to a "one (road) bike solution" with this, and combining race bike, rain bike and light gravel bike into one. My wife is on the regular Caledonia and she's able to run Gravel King 700x35 on there with adequate clearance (38 on the front).

Just slightly concerned about the low BB in crits, so I may size down my cranks for 165mm, which I was considering anyway.

tmanley

by tmanley

JWTS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Pulled the trigger on a Caledonia 5, di2 Ultegra, along with the Metron ACR integrated bar/stem.
I'd love to see a pic of how that Metron looks with the front end of the Caledonia.

-Thanks, Todd

JWTS

by JWTS

tmanley wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:35 pm
JWTS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Pulled the trigger on a Caledonia 5, di2 Ultegra, along with the Metron ACR integrated bar/stem.
I'd love to see a pic of how that Metron looks with the front end of the Caledonia.

-Thanks, Todd
Will do, I'll post some pics when I have it built up. Bars actually coming from overseas (Starbike!).

I'm wondering if anyone with a 54cm can give me the center to top measurement on the seat tube? My wife's "48" measures 44cm or so, though the regular Caledonia looks to have a slightly longer seat tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JWTS

by JWTS

Also, since I saw some questions about max tire size on here earlier..

I test just measured the clearance on a Gravelking SS 700x35, which measures ~36.2mm. There's roughly 4 to 4.5 mm of clearance at the tighest spot, which is down at the chainstays. As a reality check, the frame measures about 45-46mm depending on where exactly you measure. The exact profile of the tire will likey impact things a bit. For me at least, that's plenty of clearance, though I would probably not go over a tire that measures over 38mm. There is also around 4-5mm between the tire and the seat tube. This was on a regular Caledonia, size 48. I imagine the Cal 5 will be the same.

There's plenty of clearance elsewhere, and a 38mm will fit comfortably in the fork.