New Campagnolo Stuff..... discussion thread

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
cubixthe

by cubixthe

If it's a Wireless 1x Campy groupset I might just have to build a gravel bike lol :)

Miller

by Miller

hansdie wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm
gorkypl wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:42 pm
No way it will be electronic at this price point.
I think with 13 speeds and off road it needs to be precise don't think mechanical can handle it over the longterm once dust gets on the cables.

I'm curoius to see if they go wired or wireless and if they use a clutched rear derailler or use a lock mechanism that engages/disengages when shifting since it's electronic
I'm sure Campag are confident in their ability to construct a mechanical shifting groupset. 12 speed mech gets glowing reviews. Also Campag EPS, as much as I love it, has a history of being shocking expensive on release.

by Weenie

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

hansdie wrote:
gorkypl wrote:
I think with 13 speeds and off road it needs to be precise don't think mechanical can handle it over the longterm once dust gets on the cables.

I'm curoius to see if they go wired or wireless and if they use a clutched rear derailler or use a lock mechanism that engages/disengages when shifting since it's electronic
What do you think that? 12 speed mechanical Shimano and SRAM systems work great for mountain biking. I don’t think I have messed with my 12 speed set up in over a year. Granted, I am running full length cable housing but still.

cubixthe

by cubixthe

12 speed is at the limit of precise mechanical shifting IMO. It's the first time I see the benefit of electronic, being able to adjust every gear so the chain doesn't rub against the cassette. Adding one more cog, and the fact that it's going to crosschain heavily is one more argument for electronic over mechanical...

g00se

by g00se

hansdie wrote:
gorkypl wrote:
Campag have a patent on a hydraulic rear mech clutch that reacts dependent on the rate of displacement.

hansdie

by hansdie

Vespasianus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:29 pm
What do you think that? 12 speed mechanical Shimano and SRAM systems work great for mountain biking. I don’t think I have messed with my 12 speed set up in over a year. Granted, I am running full length cable housing but still.
With 12 speed Campagnolo is using ultra low friction cables to guarantee accurate shifting. So with 13 speeds where the shifting needs to be even more precise I think electronic is the only solution. As for shimano 12 speed mechanical is good but electronic is better shifting.

If I compare prices from Wilier website SRAM AXS 2x12 is 300 euros less than 1x Ekar. SRAM AXS 2x12 MSRP is $2500 and 1x12 is $2000, USD, so I figure Ekar is $2800. Ekar won't have front derailleur and 1 less chainring also probably will be somewhere close to Chorus or Potenza level.

I'm excited to see it released and like was said by others may need to get a gravel bike!
Last edited by hansdie on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Everyone claimed 12s wouldnt work effectively over time without electronic shifting too...

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

XCProMD

by XCProMD

It mechanical by now.

Ekar is a hill near Vicenza where there’s an observatory.

Mechanical resolution of an indexed Bowden actuated system dependen on the pull and lever ratios. As long as there’s enough cable displacement between adjacent gears there’s no risk for compromised indexing.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

gorkypl

by gorkypl

If it was electronic it would cost twice as much (see EPS).
Also, it can have the same jumps between gears as 12s, which is *very* precise. 13th cog can be overganging over spokes.
Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Well shimano xtr MTB grouppo shifts perfect and I see no reason that they can’t make it work for 13 or 14 1x mechanical.

For road I’m di2 but rather have mechanical for off road. On 1x to me there is zero advantage to electronic and its much more expensive to fix if you lay the bike down and damage it which is more likely on dirt anyway.

Also I would always choose mechanical over electronic for the “just in case” scenario of @&$) happens in the back of beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flying

by flying

hansdie wrote:
:lol: :roll:

There is this little race for one called Paris Roubaix...been run in all kinds of dust, mud,water etc since 1896 :beerchug:

Besides at the end of the day which is really more reliable? Something by mechanical cable or something with wires,micro switches,servos,batteries, wifi connects, etc etc etc??

Mechanical has a track record electronic may some day achieve but truth is....electronic shift is still in its infancy by comparison

DaveS

by DaveS

13 speed should work with mechanical. The space between the sprockets is likely to be the same as 12. Chain widths can't keep getting thinner. Problems are most likely on the shifts to smaller sprockets, where cable friction must be low.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Those that bought the first 11 speed, like me, had real issues with the shifting of their mechanical system. That's one of the reasons I jumped on the EPS system. I really would not want 13 speed unless it's electronic.

robertbb

by robertbb

It's hard to compare two groupsets, even with the same number of gears from the same manufacturer.

Agree with Butcher, the first 11 speed release from Campy wasn't very good.
The subsequent 11 speed 2015+ revision was (is) awesome.

As always, early adopters will pay a premium and find out for the rest of us :)

by Weenie

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Butcher wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:45 am
Those that bought the first 11 speed, like me, had real issues with the shifting of their mechanical system. That's one of the reasons I jumped on the EPS system. I really would not want 13 speed unless it's electronic.
13 speed mechanical faces no more complexity at the shifter than 11. Provided the gear assembly in the back is good, which it will be, your fears are unfounded.