New Campagnolo Stuff..... discussion thread

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
rollinslow

by rollinslow

Butcher wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:32 pm
Please Campagnolo, keep your family run business making good products for those that appreciate it. Making them for the OEM at a bottom basement price does not do much for your net, only the gross.
+1

That's probably the best strategy. Campy needs to fill the niche for people who want something bespoke. I never really thought I would own Campy but after having my mind blown by SR12 directly compared to DA9100 with a CK ceramic BB I prefer Campy and top-shelf wheels I prefer Campy.

@tobinhatesyou: you're right about the plastic shims. I'm not a fan either but forgot to post that above.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Dura Ace 9100
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12 (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161577)
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-arrived, in process of building

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Unless they shift production to Asia they’ll never compete at that low end of the market, it’s pointless trying. I will continue to support the company as long as they keep making the quality I expect and support their local community with employment, that’s worth the price premium to me. I don’t buy groupsets of frames often, not enough to worry about saving a few pounds on made in China but badged elsewhere products

by Weenie

Ironbarista

by Ironbarista

The new free hub body looks like the ratchet ring will have a larger diameter so might not be able to put retrofit existing wheels.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

They need to get off that mini paperclip freehub spring design. No rendundancy and prone to failure.

DaveS

by DaveS

Ironbarista wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:28 pm
The new free hub body looks like the ratchet ring will have a larger diameter so might not be able to put retrofit existing wheels.
The new body can be used on existing wheels, otherwise it would be mostly worthless, obsoleting all previous wheels. Campy is smarter than that.

I've never had a ratchet problem, but there is only one spring, rather than several.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I’ve had one pawl spring fail, although I was unaware of it until I took the hub apart for a very long overdue cleanup and the spring came out in 3 pieces. No idea how long it had been like that, but there was enough tension provided by the pieces to keep the pawls fully operational

Unniti

by Unniti

I just want 12 speed Record EPS

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I wonder if the Powermeter patent is coming to life...
I've been running SRM Exakt pedals on my 12s Super Record crankset just because I want that crank..
They've been reliable for me, but a cadence magnet popped off the RH pedal the other day, so killed all power because the RH is the master
SRM is sending me new magnets this week though no questions asked...

mag

by mag

@ParisCarbon: (slightly OT) Why don't you try 4iiii? They offer factory install of their dual-side PMs on SR12 cranks. And they're even Canadian just like you...

itsacarr

by itsacarr

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:55 pm
I wonder if the Powermeter patent is coming to life...
I've been running SRM Exakt pedals on my 12s Super Record crankset just because I want that crank..
They've been reliable for me, but a cadence magnet popped off the RH pedal the other day, so killed all power because the RH is the master
SRM is sending me new magnets this week though no questions asked...
I thought you had the crank based campy SRM?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

@mag I didn't even know 4iii was doing that
itsacarr - I have an SRM on my SL5... I put EPS 12 on my Venge, but loved the SR 12 crank too much to not have it...

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Agreed it is rather beautiful. Also, being that this is WW I secretly wish the Campy SRM was origin light. But I digress 😂

ODT

by ODT

There will be a 1x13 Gravel group called EKAR
https://www.cycling-univers.fr/v%C3%A9l ... 2021/jena/
(use the drop down menu...it wont be cheap)

Kjetil

by Kjetil

^Finally got to read the blurb on those new Shamal Carbon DBs. Round J-bend spokes make sense to me now. Thanks.

The Ekar group looks interesting. Now we can speculate about 2x13 road groups: Will the cassettes start at 11 or 10t?

robertbb

by robertbb

ODT wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:14 am
There will be a 1x13 Gravel group called EKAR
https://www.cycling-univers.fr/v%C3%A9l ... 2021/jena/
(use the drop down menu...it wont be cheap)
Edit: Yep, there they are as build options for the Wilier.

There's a video here:

by Weenie