New Campagnolo Stuff..... discussion thread

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

9t is fine for gravel, run a smaller front ring, gives you a bit more ground clearance.

I wouldn't put it on a road bike, and neither are Campag
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti, Parlee, Donhou, Various others

by Weenie

hotskillet

by hotskillet

May be a tad off-topic but can anyone confirm if Campy 12 Crankset chainring spacing and/or thickness is any narrower than 11? E.G is any branded 11 speed 2X Crankset compatible? I see what the manufacturers say but what is the physical/mechanical differences that prevent anyone from using an 11 speed Crankset ?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

hotskillet wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:37 pm
May be a tad off-topic but can anyone confirm if Campy 12 Crankset chainring spacing and/or thickness is any narrower than 11? E.G is any branded 11 speed 2X Crankset compatible? I see what the manufacturers say but what is the physical/mechanical differences that prevent anyone from using an 11 speed Crankset ?
From what I recall the narrower factor on the 12s was done in the chainrings
Lotto Soudal and Cofidis were both using their SRM with 11s rings when EPS 12 came out (Prob due to lack of availability of 12s Record rings)
Neither SRM or P2Max did any changes at all to their current PMs to ready them for 12s, just bolt on whatever ring (11s or 12s) SRM will tell you it works perfectly fine with 11s rings.. but I can not confirm that for sure..

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

hotskillet wrote:
11sHO and 12s both have 8.0mm spacing. Pre-HO had 7.6mm spacing.
I measured the tooth thickness, and the 12s was less than 0.1mm thinner. Before I sold off my 11s stuff, I tested cross-compatability. There were no issues.
Yes, you can use any 11s crankset with 12s, but the mechanical 12s FD is optimized for 8.0mm of spacing.

geca

by geca

Anybody heard any rumours on if Campagnolo is comming with a 11-25 or 11-27 12 speed cassette. I am missing an 18 cog on my cassette and would therefore hope that they would make a cassette with a more flat gearratio
Last edited by geca on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

by DaveS

The next news from Campy will be around September 24.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

geca wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:08 pm
Anybody heard any rumours on if Campagnolo is comming with a 11-25 or 11-27 12 speed cassette. I am missing an 18 cog on my cassette and would therefore hope that they would make a cassette with a more flat changeratio
No plans in this regard, that they have made Service Centres aware of to date, for 2021.
Generally they tell SCs of new technical changes first as we are all covered by a blanket NDA ... but in this case, we can say that they've not given us any info with regard to changes of that nature, in 12s.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

What about 12 speed cassettes starting at 12, would that count as being of that nature

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

joeyb1000 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:29 pm
hotskillet wrote:
11sHO and 12s both have 8.0mm spacing. Pre-HO had 7.6mm spacing.
I measured the tooth thickness, and the 12s was less than 0.1mm thinner. Before I sold off my 11s stuff, I tested cross-compatability. There were no issues.
Yes, you can use any 11s crankset with 12s, but the mechanical 12s FD is optimized for 8.0mm of spacing.
I've mentioned this before over on the other Campag strings, maybe it needs repeating here ... it's not actually as simple as raw ring spacing.

True, the tabs on the high end cranksets are of similar width 10 - 11s and then the raw ring spacing 11 to 12s four arm is similar, however, the profiling on the back of the big chainring and where the teeth are milled on the section of the ring varies - so there can be shift problems using 12 with 11s, just as there can be when looking at 9 to 10, 10 to 11.

Just because one set of circumstances provides an OK result, it doesn't mean that every set of circumstances catered for by the spec will be OK.

A few consumers saying "it works" is just not good enough - first because "works" is subjective and second, until all the possible configurations within a spec have been modelled and then physically tested (which is where a lot of the R and D budget goes and why it takes approx 6 years from concept to production) we can't go to market with the product.

Even then, we find, just like everyone else, that there are some circumstances where we end up changing advice slightly in the light of even wider practical experience in the market.

Don't use what we do with the teams as a gauge of what can and can't be done - often specific things are being tried out with teams whch may and may not make it to market because they may and may not perform as we'd like - intermediate software versions in EPS, for example are all tested with the teams (which is why production firmware versions skip numbers - 37, 44 and 50 were the consumer versions in v2, 0.0.19 and 0.0.24 in v3 etc) ... as are things like exact chainring configurations and profiles. The rings that were launched on the OverTorque chainset, for instance, if you look at early ones, look just like their pre-decessors but when looked at closely are different and carry the code SC14 ... "Services Course 2014" just as the 54, 55 and 56T TT chainrings carry a SC marking because they are made initially for the teams. In some cases many different combinations of parts are tested and sometimes they make it into production and sometimes they don't.

In the case of cranksets, often spacing changes are made with shims or with specific post-production milling to make two products that were not designed to work together, function. It's often done to "hide" something new - the best example of which was Ulrich's "special" 10s v1 ErgoPower levers in 1999.

Shimano and SRAM to the same.

Sorry to bang on ... but most people don't even think about these aspects.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

EBH

by EBH

Wasn't it menitioned, in some thread, something 12 speed silver replacing Potenza..? Any whispers anywhere abar it?

kgt

by kgt

This is not about a new product but I prefer not to open another thread.

Does anybody know if I can replace the RD plate where the logo is printed on without any special tools?
I am asking because the vernice on mine is peeled off and I have another non-working RD in my garage whose plate is in perfect condition.

JohnPeopleman

by JohnPeopleman

DaveS wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:27 pm
Do you know something we don't know?

Ritxis

by Ritxis

JohnPeopleman wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:52 am
DaveS wrote:
Ekar 1x13 gravel groupset, for example

JohnPeopleman

by JohnPeopleman

Ritxis wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:04 am
JohnPeopleman wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:52 am
DaveS wrote:
Ekar 1x13 gravel groupset, for example
That's already been announced hasn't it?

by Weenie

Kjetil

by Kjetil

Not officially.