Coco-bikeparts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sylvain70

by sylvain70

Hello !

I am creating Coco-Design, a new brand in the bicycle industry :D . I am glad to present to the forum my first product, it is a composite saddle, made in France, and designed with the aeronautic spirit from which I come.
The saddle is designed to meet 3 targets: lightness, robustness & style. The RTM process, which has been chosen, allows to meet that.
Specs :
- Dimension : 128 (width) * 280mm
- Carbon rails (7*7,5mm)
- Road bike only
- 3K bright finish
- 90kg rider limit weight
- ISO4210 qualified (100kg-200 000cycle-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgu_LhU-sZE)
- 62 gr
- 300 euros

Saddles are currently available. My website is in French (coco-bikeparts.com) but you can follow my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/cocodesign2020), I regularly post pictures and articles in English (steps of the design, news,…).

If you are interested, send an email to contact@coco-bikeparts.com
Other products should be proposed soon :D

Best regards,
Sylvain – Coco-design
iso.jpg
IMG_3131.JPG

alanyu

by alanyu

128*280?It's 2020 dude. Most big brands go with wider saddles, and I'm not talking about short-nose saddles. I believe that's what most people really need.

7*7.5? What? Another new rail size. OK how much different sizes do we have? 7*7, 7*(9-9.3), 7*(9.8-10) are what most big brands are using. After 8*8 and 8*10 oversized, now let's welcome 7*7.5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sylvain70

by sylvain70

Give us a little bit of time for the wider saddle :wink:

For the rail size, give me one model of 7*7mm seat post which is not compatible to my 7*7,5mm :D ! I am honestly curious and will check that ASAP

Thank you !

kgt

by kgt

:welcome: sylvain70!
RTM and made in France are two big pluses!
The shape of the saddle looks ok but I would also prefer it wider, with 7x9 rails and an opening.

hannawald

by hannawald

Berk had problems with light 7mm carbon rails so they now use 7x9 with no issues. So hopefully you have tested that enough:)

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

sylvain70 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:31 am
The saddle is designed to meet 3 targets: lightness, robustness & style.
Is this a dedicated hill climb saddle? I ask because if it's not, you forgot the most important target. Comfort. And I'll be honest, that does not look comfortable at all for my preference.

I'll take a 200g saddle over a 50g saddle every day and pay more for it provided it's got the comfort to merit it.

Are you planning on producing any other styles? Short nose, wide, cut out, etc.?
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

1415chris

by 1415chris

alanyu wrote:It's 2020 dude. Most big brands go with wider saddle
Who cares about big brands and the fact, which I hope all of us are aware off very well by this time, that we are in 2020?
Do not confuse yourself with the big brands and butique dudes, fella ;)
However I would agreed on the rails. I wouldn't go for rounded 7mm.
Comfort wise, I changed Prologo, in fact after two of them, I came back to my trusty Speedneedle and at the same time I started regretting selling my Smud Mk I 68g. For my bottom, they were the most comfy saddles I used. It looks like my bottom is not time wise conscious, it did not change its preferences, despite we are in 2020.

sylvain70

by sylvain70

kgt wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:42 pm
The shape of the saddle looks ok but I would also prefer it wider, with 7x9 rails and an opening.
Wider --> noted :wink:
About the rails, oval section like 9mm will be stiffer. If I change the section later, we will go to 7mm fully round section, we will see.
The opening is replaced by a groove to avoid cutting carbon fibers.
Last edited by sylvain70 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sylvain70

by sylvain70

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:17 pm
Berk had problems with light 7mm carbon rails so they now use 7x9 with no issues. So hopefully you have tested that enough:)
Thank you for the advice ! I do not know what they use exactly (and I do not want to reveal everything about my business :wink: ) but I use UD in the rails, it is also a specific fiber... it helps.

1415chris

by 1415chris

In my experience these light saddles give enough flex, for some too much, if the rails are going to add to it even more flex, wouldn't it be a bouncy castle?

sylvain70

by sylvain70

JMeinholdt wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:44 pm
sylvain70 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:31 am
The saddle is designed to meet 3 targets: lightness, robustness & style.
Is this a dedicated hill climb saddle? I ask because if it's not, you forgot the most important target. Comfort. And I'll be honest, that does not look comfortable at all for my preference.

I'll take a 200g saddle over a 50g saddle every day and pay more for it provided it's got the comfort to merit it.

Are you planning on producing any other styles? Short nose, wide, cut out, etc.?
You found a flaw in my marketing !! Ok let say 4 targets (stupid engineer I am).

However, confort is one of the most subjective stuff on a bike, I cannot guaranty confort for anybody. I guaranty flexibility (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-IRUqqfkSs) and this is what people are looking for when they buy a carbon fiber saddle.

I am planning to make other saddles of course, and other parts too. The good thing is that I am not releasing the product of my life, I have other ideas and improvements in mind. Now we will see how the budget goes.

sylvain70

by sylvain70

1415chris wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:37 pm
alanyu wrote:It's 2020 dude. Most big brands go with wider saddle
Who cares about big brands and the fact, which I hope all of us are aware off very well by this time, that we are in 2020?
Do not confuse yourself with the big brands and butique dudes, fella ;)
However I would agreed on the rails. I wouldn't go for rounded 7mm.
Comfort wise, I changed Prologo, in fact after two of them, I came back to my trusty Speedneedle and at the same time I started regretting selling my Smud Mk I 68g. For my bottom, they were the most comfy saddles I used. It looks like my bottom is not time wise conscious, it did not change its preferences, despite we are in 2020.
Hahah ! I appreciate your text Chris :D !
Very good feedback, a lot of guys are regreting there old composite saddles :wink:

kgt

by kgt

sylvain70 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:49 pm
kgt wrote:
About the rails, oval section like 9mm will be much stiffer, deformations will be located on the shell only... I do not like that and probably you either (confort). If I change the section later, we will go to 7mm fully round section.
The opening is replaced by a groove to avoid cutting carbon fibers. It is relative to the behaviour of the composite, if we can avoid any kind of holes, we do it.
I refer to 7x9 rails not because of their bigger stiffness or strength but because some round carbon rails are not compatible with some saddle clamps for carbon rails. The argument on the holes is correct, in this case a deeper groove would be better. An example of full carbon saddle with deep groove:
Good luck with your projects!

jih

by jih

Looks good but 128mm wide is too narrow for me. I normally use a Romin at 155mm wide.

sylvain70

by sylvain70

kgt wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:36 am
sylvain70 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:49 pm
kgt wrote:
About the rails, oval section like 9mm will be much stiffer, deformations will be located on the shell only... I do not like that and probably you either (confort). If I change the section later, we will go to 7mm fully round section.
The opening is replaced by a groove to avoid cutting carbon fibers. It is relative to the behaviour of the composite, if we can avoid any kind of holes, we do it.
I refer to 7x9 rails not because of their bigger stiffness or strength but because some round carbon rails are not compatible with some saddle clamps for carbon rails. The argument on the holes is correct, in this case a deeper groove would be better. An example of full carbon saddle with deep groove:
Good luck with your projects!
OK thank you for the precision !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com