My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wooger

by wooger

Lakal wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 am
nickf wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:33 am
Lakal wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:32 am
FYI: ZFC just updated his chain prep guide.
It seems to be a lot easier to use UFO clean instead of mineral turps etc.:
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... ise-v2.pdf
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... ide-V2.pdf
Just from a cost perspective, I can get 128oz of mineral spirits for $18usd. Or 33oz of UFO clean for $30+USD.
If you want to look at the costs, you also have to look at the amounts required to strip a chain from factory grease.
ZFC says 100 ml UFO clean for one chain. You have to use 500ml mineral spirits and 500ml denatured alcohol for a shimano chain.
According to Ceramicspeed, you can reuse the same amount of UFO clean for 5 chains without a problem.
So that's 50 chains on one bottle UFO Cleaner.
You can reuse both mineral spirits /turps & isopropyl alcohol indefinitely if you filter the solid chunks out once a year.

LouisN

by LouisN

I've been using two different mixes the last few weeks:
- Silca secret blend
- Hardware store paraffin + teflon powder (5%) + molybdenum Disulphide (0.5%)

Here are my impressions:
Silca is more "liquid", thinner on the chain.
Does not flake as much as my homemade formula.
I don't feel any difference in riding or performance, or noise.
Doesn't last very long, but I've been riding in awful conditions lately, many 2,3 + hrs rides in pouring rain.

I had to dip the chain after onnly 200 km.
With my homemade formula I can ride for 500-600 km's ( in normal conditions) without any now hot dips.

As "applied" formula, I bought the Silca Secret Lube, to compare with my homemade "wax paste", made from the listed mix with 1/3 paraffin oil. I apply with a brush on the chain when too lousy to do a warm dip, or for wet rides. Works very well.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

I started my wax adventure with oz cycle formula (500grs of paraffin wax+50 grams of ptfe powder) and that mixture worked quite well. After initial period of “wetting” of chains they were able to be used about 300-400 kms in dry conditions.

Then I decided to improve my formula by adding MoS powder. Wax became black obviously, but was more flaky and didn’t last so long. Every operation of waxing made my kitchen full of black residues and…

I made third wax mixture with 200 grams of wax and 2 grams of ptfe

In my opinion in the cleanest and thinnest wax formula that I love.

It lasts long and derailleur surround is free of wax flakes.

takolino

by takolino

@Kervelo, can you wax the chain without further cleaning after using dynamic chain cleaner? The UFO also leaves a film. Chains rust so easily that if the film can protect the chain even for a short period, it's not necessarily bad. Sometimes, I let the chain sit for a few days because life happens. then it's already a bit rusty. Ideally, wax will still stick to the chain without further cleaning.

kervelo

by kervelo

takolino wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:20 pm
@Kervelo, can you wax the chain without further cleaning after using dynamic chain cleaner? ...
Yes, I have waxed the chain without further cleaning. The Dynamic Cleaner may leave a protective film, but the chain does not feel oily or anything like that. Disclaimer: I use the Dynamic Speed Potion Wax (https://dynamicbikecare.com/product/speed-potion-wax/), so perhaps the cleaner and wax are made to match. I have not tried any other wax, so I cannot tell if they are any different.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Been using MSW without any issue, get about 300-400 from a wax, just the noise after 200km is :( , so I bought Silca's Super Secret chain lube, batch #3. Chain wiped completely dry, shaked bottle for like 2-3 mins but its so thin, it just falls straight of the chain on the ground. The chain is completely dry and clean. After spilling alot on the ground, I managed to cover the chain in lube. Is this normal and do you guys experience similar things? What can I do to improve/change this?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Yep. Only use UFO Drip v2 for quick waxing now. Adheres to the chain way better.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MrRolandos wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:39 am
Been using MSW without any issue, get about 300-400 from a wax, just the noise after 200km is :( , so I bought Silca's Super Secret chain lube, batch #3. Chain wiped completely dry, shaked bottle for like 2-3 mins but its so thin, it just falls straight of the chain on the ground. The chain is completely dry and clean. After spilling alot on the ground, I managed to cover the chain in lube. Is this normal and do you guys experience similar things? What can I do to improve/change this?

It’s been discussed. UFO Drip is a much nicer UX. It doesn’t drip onto the floor, it runs drier and flakes off like dandruff compared to Silca which sheds larger, gummier chunks. Silca does stay quieter a little longer, but not by much…

C36

by C36

MrRolandos wrote:Been using MSW without any issue, get about 300-400 from a wax, just the noise after 200km is :( , so I bought Silca's Super Secret chain lube, batch #3. Chain wiped completely dry, shaked bottle for like 2-3 mins but its so thin, it just falls straight of the chain on the ground. The chain is completely dry and clean. After spilling alot on the ground, I managed to cover the chain in lube. Is this normal and do you guys experience similar things? What can I do to improve/change this?
Curious, I did purchase Silca SS last batch and I put a droplet over like 20-30 links in a raw and it stays right on the roller until I decide to rotate it. That was applied at room temp so around 21-22 degC.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

C36 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:16 pm
MrRolandos wrote:Been using MSW without any issue, get about 300-400 from a wax, just the noise after 200km is :( , so I bought Silca's Super Secret chain lube, batch #3. Chain wiped completely dry, shaked bottle for like 2-3 mins but its so thin, it just falls straight of the chain on the ground. The chain is completely dry and clean. After spilling alot on the ground, I managed to cover the chain in lube. Is this normal and do you guys experience similar things? What can I do to improve/change this?
Curious, I did purchase Silca SS last batch and I put a droplet over like 20-30 links in a raw and it stays right on the roller until I decide to rotate it. That was applied at room temp so around 21-22 degC.
Yeah for me it happends when i drop it on the chain, if i do it drop by drop or while rotating the crank same story. When i rotate the crank, it falls off even more. Guess ill get UFO next

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

MrRolandos wrote:
SsSecret can alter the flow using bottle flow.
When dripping per roller...i'd try to use a small hand motion similar to welding to cover inner and outer plates

kode54

by kode54

LouisN wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:01 pm
I've been using two different mixes the last few weeks:
- Silca secret blend
- Hardware store paraffin + teflon powder (5%) + molybdenum Disulphide (0.5%)

Here are my impressions:
Silca is more "liquid", thinner on the chain.
Does not flake as much as my homemade formula.
I don't feel any difference in riding or performance, or noise.
Doesn't last very long, but I've been riding in awful conditions lately, many 2,3 + hrs rides in pouring rain.

I had to dip the chain after onnly 200 km.
With my homemade formula I can ride for 500-600 km's ( in normal conditions) without any now hot dips.

As "applied" formula, I bought the Silca Secret Lube, to compare with my homemade "wax paste", made from the listed mix with 1/3 paraffin oil. I apply with a brush on the chain when too lousy to do a warm dip, or for wet rides. Works very well.

Louis :)
I typically add paraffin lamp oil to my formula...1 tbsp for summer...2 tbsp in winter. Not as flaky as much which I'm still varying the amount. Lately, I have been addiing PTFE powder to the slightly warm chain in a zip lock baggie and shake until completely coated. Yeah, its messier, but super quiet for the time being.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

MrRolandos wrote:
I didn't know there was a batch #3, let alone a batch #2. Every iteration is thinner viscosity?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Nezz0r

by Nezz0r

Folks, I made the transition from Squirt to immersion waxing. I have a 600km old chain - on the fence whether I will strip and wax this one. What do you think; does this still make sense? If I were to strip would boiling water do or do I need to use mineral spirits again?

2nd topic; my chain is flaking quite some (next time I will run it outdoors iso on the trainer) - any practical tips to remove these? Brush, vacuum or can I use something else?

Mocs123

by Mocs123

IMO - Assuming you already did an extensive clean and degrease before you starting using Squirt, I would think a boiling water bath should be enough, as I think Squirt is completely oil free.

I'm not always the best at it, but I think wiping down the chain prior to the wax completely cooling is the best way to prevent flaking. The wax on the exterior of the chain is generally what flakes and it's not needed anyways.

Others more experianced in waxing may have better insight - I've only been waxing since January.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com