My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:57 am
1. Just under 60C/140F, right before the wax starts to leave a solid film on top.
2. I hang my chains by the last outer link, not the inner links on the end. No issues with inner links spreading apart (and the rollers falling out.)
3. I break the chain after it has cooled completely. I had bad results trying to put a chain that was still warm-ish on my drivetrain.
1. If you take it out that cold there must be a lot of paraffin left on the outisde of the chain. Do you wipe it off with a rag?
2. If you are using the quick link you would have to break and keep it with two inner links on ends?..
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

musiclover wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:22 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:57 am
1. Just under 60C/140F, right before the wax starts to leave a solid film on top.
2. I hang my chains by the last outer link, not the inner links on the end. No issues with inner links spreading apart (and the rollers falling out.)
3. I break the chain after it has cooled completely. I had bad results trying to put a chain that was still warm-ish on my drivetrain.
1. If you take it out that cold there must be a lot of paraffin left on the outisde of the chain. Do you wipe it off with a rag?
2. If you are using the quick link you would have to break and keep it with two inner links on ends?..

1. No.
2. Yes, there are inner links on the ends. That doesn't prevent you from hanging the chain on your coat hanger/swisher tool by the last outer link. :wink:

musiclover

by musiclover

Oh, I did not take a notice of what was the last link I hanged it on... Ok, I will see if it gets any worse if I hang it on the outer ones each time...
Honestly, I did not think it creates enough pressure for the ends to split. I thought it was just the temperature change.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

After how many hours do you rewax a chain when riding only on a trainer? Similar to dry outdoor riding or longer?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JayDee81 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:39 am
After how many hours do you rewax a chain when riding only on a trainer? Similar to dry outdoor riding or longer?

Lubing intervals on trainers are always longer. 2x the hours if not more.

gSporco

by gSporco

JayDee81 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:39 am
I have 600 miles on my waxed trainer chain and its still running quite and clean
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

tepextate

by tepextate

Hey guys - I did a "lite" version of chain waxing to dip my toes in and am running into a weird issue with the quick link.

I took a new Dura Ace 11sp chain and cleaned it (multiple mineral spirits baths -> two acetone baths). I then dripped Squirt over the entire chain, let it dry overnight, and attached it to my bike with a Shimano quick link.

However, whenever the quick link passes through my jockey wheels, it gives off a small "click!" sound. I thought the sound might have been caused by me not applying Squirt on the quick link, so I applied some last night and let it dry. However, the click is still there and driving me nuts!

Do you guys have any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: I've been doing some digging and might have installed the quick link facing the wrong direction. Will check tonight! :smartass:
Last edited by tepextate on Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

With apologies for not reading the entire thread...

I'm interested in this, but my sense is that for UK winter/spring riding (i.e. wet) it's a bit pointless. Is that right?

Next q: most of my winter riding (certainly midweek) will be TR sessions on the turbo. What's the consensus on waxed chains for smart trainer use: worth it or not?

Cheers

wltz

by wltz

raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:04 pm

Next q: most of my winter riding (certainly midweek) will be TR sessions on the turbo. What's the consensus on waxed chains for smart trainer use: worth it or not?
You will have flakes on the floor surface from a waxed chain, so you need to make sure you can (and will) remove them from your floor. You will still get a longer life out of your chain compared to other methods, especially if you don't actively ride in the wet at the weekends. I don't think you will get any performance benefit from a waxed chain on TR. So I think it all boils down to how precious your floor surface is to you and your SO.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

tepextate wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:28 pm
Hey guys - I did a "lite" version of chain waxing to dip my toes in and am running into a weird issue with the quick link.

I took a new Dura Ace 11sp chain and cleaned it (multiple mineral spirits baths -> two acetone baths). I then dripped Squirt over the entire chain, let it dry overnight, and attached it to my bike with a Shimano quick link.

However, whenever the quick link passes through my jockey wheels, it gives off a small "click!" sound. I thought the sound might have been caused by me not applying Squirt on the quick link, so I applied some last night and let it dry. However, the click is still there and driving me nuts!

Do you guys have any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: I've been doing some digging and might have installed the quick link facing the wrong direction. Will check tonight! :smartass:
Couple of years ago I tried the DA quick link and I noticed it was always more noisy than my Sram link and I did check to see if it was directional and dont at the moment remember what it was. Since then I have always used Sram or KMC with no noise. In fact I installed the Sram link on my DA chain and have done so ever since. The DA link looked to be a good design but always clicking.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Reminder than some quick-links are wider than others. My Connex links are almost 6mm wide while my SRAM quicklinks are 5.6mm wide.

JoO

by JoO

I still use hot wax on the dry weather bike.
For the wet weather I use tri tension all weather tungsten.
My hot waxed chains showed rust spots after riding in the rain, wiping with cloth but leaving in unheated garage.

tepextate

by tepextate

Thanks, guys. Figured out the issue. I had routed the chain through the jockey wheels incorrectly and it was hitting the bolt in the middle of the cage plate (not sure what this bolt is called). Also, it was installed in the wrong orientation. Whoops! Fixed everything and will likely change the quick link since it felt really easy to close.

Also, after I went for a ride on my trainer, I touched the chain and found some black rubbing off on my fingers. I had cleaned the chain pretty meticulously with mineral spirits and denatured alcohol, so I'm wondering if it's the Squirt. If so, I think I'll just bite the bullet and start chain waxing. Seems a lot easier now that I've been through the process of cleaning the chain once!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tepextate wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:21 pm
Thanks, guys. Figured out the issue. I had routed the chain through the jockey wheels incorrectly and it was hitting the bolt in the middle of the cage plate (not sure what this bolt is called). Also, it was installed in the wrong orientation. Whoops! Fixed everything and will likely change the quick link since it felt really easy to close.

Also, after I went for a ride on my trainer, I touched the chain and found some black rubbing off on my fingers. I had cleaned the chain pretty meticulously with mineral spirits and denatured alcohol, so I'm wondering if it's the Squirt. If so, I think I'll just bite the bullet and start chain waxing. Seems a lot easier now that I've been through the process of cleaning the chain once!

It's probably residual grease from inside your chain or from your pulleys, derailleur cages, etc. Also it's going to become discolored just from the metal that wears away while riding. Overall it should be fairly encapsulated by Squirt and your fingers should stay fairly clean.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musiclover

by musiclover

Funny. Just as I feared. One of the ends of the chain has dropped a roller after waxing. Relatively new and expensive chain. I do not really see what I have done wrong and how this could have been prevented.