My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Andrew69

by Andrew69

vd91 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:56 pm
Could it be that AXS simply doesn't like wax? Any other reasons for this?
Ive run MSW on Red AXS equipped bike since new (well about 500kms)
The chain runs 100% silent for about 40-50km and then starts to get louder.
By the time it gets to 250-260k's I can tell its almost time to rewax @ 300kms and depending on what ride Ive got planned next and if my second chain also needs to be waxed (I do them both at the same time) I may re-wax a little early.

I still cant detect any wear after about 10000k's on two chains, but I do note Adam's caution on using a chain checker to detect wear on the AXS chains due to the oversized rollers so will check wear with my digital calipers (by measuring the length of 10 links) as soon as I get around to buying a new battery for them

As far as cleaning the chain goes, I just pour boiling water over the chains to clean before I wax to keep the wax cleaner for as long as possible (yes Im cheap)

manystyles

by manystyles

I used ZF’s updated cleaning instructions (with CS UFO Clean) and I’m quite impressed with the results! I also accidentally didn’t follow it to the T (two rounds of UFO Clean) so I’m assuming it’ll be even more cleaner next time.

I cleaned my 12s chain that’s on my gravel bike, which I’m pretty sure never had it’s factory lube stripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Feener

by Feener

Quick question for you all. Do you guys clean your cassette and chainrings in between waxed chains installations?

Have done approximately 800km on Silca waxed chain with Silca SS drip lube at 200km intervals so it is time for a new chain. Seems like cassette and chain have the black particles coated on it from Silca SS drip lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

I've gone for the silca hot melt, is it really worth getting the silca secret drip aswell, how much more mileage realistically can you get with a top up.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

No, not really. I do wipe them down (on the bike) with a microfiber cloth, but no deep clean or anything. I hit the jockey wheels too as they tend to clollect some wax flakes.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I do have a quick vent and it's probably my fault, but normally I do my own maintainace but I needed a headset bearing replaced and didn't have the right press so I dropped it off at my LBS last week while I was on vacation to replace the headset bearing and the bar tape as it was getting quite ratty. I picked the bike up and went on a quick 25mile/40km ride after work yesterday and when I got back I noticed my chain was nasty. Apparatly the bike shop had lubed my (wax) chain, so last night after my ride I had to take the cassette, jockey wheels, and chainrings off and clean them with mineral spirits again to get the oily gunk off. I just put the chain in a ziploc bag and will deal with it later as I still have 3 chains in the rotation and that's fine for now.

I guess I should have mentioned that my chain was waxed, and the shop was probaby just trying to be nice and give the bike back in tip top shape but it ended up costing me several hours of work to clean it up.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

That's a bit of a classic.. Happened once to me, too. Since then I invariably ask them to NOT add any lube to my chain.

tleo

by tleo

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:10 pm
I do have a quick vent and it's probably my fault, but normally I do my own maintainace but I needed a headset bearing replaced and didn't have the right press so I dropped it off at my LBS last week while I was on vacation to replace the headset bearing and the bar tape as it was getting quite ratty. I picked the bike up and went on a quick 25mile/40km ride after work yesterday and when I got back I noticed my chain was nasty. Apparatly the bike shop had lubed my (wax) chain, so last night after my ride I had to take the cassette, jockey wheels, and chainrings off and clean them with mineral spirits again to get the oily gunk off. I just put the chain in a ziploc bag and will deal with it later as I still have 3 chains in the rotation and that's fine for now.

I guess I should have mentioned that my chain was waxed, and the shop was probaby just trying to be nice and give the bike back in tip top shape but it ended up costing me several hours of work to clean it up.
Although I rarely take any of my bikes to the LBS, when I do, I make it point to tell them to not lube the chain since it is waxed even though it looks like it is dry. So far they've been good and given it back to me unlubed.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:10 pm

Lesson learned. Buy the press, and forget about the LBS. I would never so much as let an LBS even look at my bike except for 1 shop that does pro-level bikes and I know personally.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Re: Oz Cycle

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-05/ ... /101209462

Always knew there was something about him...

bobones

by bobones

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:17 am

That's a truly shocking and disgusting crime.
Last edited by bobones on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maddie

by Maddie

Truly disgusting re OZ cycle... Tobin, how did you find out about this?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maddie wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:01 am
Truly disgusting re OZ cycle... Tobin, how did you find out about this?
Mentioned in a different online cycling community during a general discussion about chain waxing.

musiclover

by musiclover

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:17 am

1. This is offtopic in this thread.
2. That's a bit low to spread gossip like an old lady.
3. Does this now mean that his methods of chain waxing are invalid?
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

musiclover wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:06 am

1. This is offtopic in this thread.
2. That's a bit low to spread gossip like an old lady.
3. Does this now mean that his methods of chain waxing are invalid?

It doesn't deserve its own thread and he’s pretty much only known for his chain-waxing videos. It’s worth knowing what kind of person he is offline.

No, it doesn't mean his chain-waxing technique is suddenly invalid...it always was.