My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Lakal wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:10 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:24 pm
I've done about 800km on my chain, topping of every 200km. Last ride was in really heavy rain, so I decided to clean it again.

Now I think I made a mistake because I thought I needed to do the whole cleaning version that I did first time. That's what I did. First in degreaser, then ultrasonic cleaner, mineral spirits and then Isopropyl alcohol. Even then there was some black left on the towel afterwards.

What should I have done instead of this? I think they said to top of every 200 miles and then clean chain again after 1000 miles or something like that. So how do you clean the chain after it's been used for a while?

I had wax residue stuck everywhere and it was difficult to clean. On the back of the cassette, between the 28 and the one below, there was a lot stuck. Then on the rollers too. I don't know if I'm putting on too much or that is normal.
Boiling water is fine.
I boiled the water three times and then put in a drop of dishwasher, and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then I did the other stuff that I mentioned. After the Ultrasonic cleaner it still left quite a bit of black residue. Still when I was done with everything, it wasn't 100% clean, but close.

Does it have to be 100% clean inbetween cycles? I mean after it's been stripped already.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

If the chain was fully stripped of oil based lube prior to beginning the waxing process, there's no need to repeat that cleaning in between waxes.

If the wax on the chain is just worn away after hundreds of km of riding, simply chuck in the pot of wax again and you're good. If it's seen some rain and road grime, pour boiling water over it to rinse it and then re-wax it. You can let it fully dry first or heat the wax over 212F and it will boil away any remaining moisture in the chain.

It doesn't have to be difficult and you don't have to think about it too much. The hard work is the initial stripping of the chain prior to waxing. After that it's easy peasy.

Erlandal

by Erlandal

ZFC have updated their Excel file with all the raw data of all the wax and lubes they test.
The new drip champion appears to be Effeto Mariposa's Flowerpower Max wax.

Here's the link if you want to directly check it out.

Interpretating the results, I gather there's no penetration issues like with Squirt or Smoove. You can apparently find it for 12€/100ml, which makes it a bit more expensive than Squirt, but it frankly sounds worth it if you get the advertised mileage (around 300km before reapplications).

I was planning on trying immersive waxing after I'm done with my current chain (I'm using Silca's Synergetic right now), but there seems to be more and more great drip solutions popping on the market.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

And the subsequent king of chain lubricants will be a good old bottle of your extra virgin olive oil, and we've come full circle.

knightskid

by knightskid

rhender wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:30 pm
Just curious how people re-wax when your chain needs it? MSW says that for a training chain, there's no need to do the whole extensive cleaning process again--just dip the chain again.

Is that what most people are doing. Do you need to re-strip the chain if you use something like SILCA or UFO to top up in between re-waxes?
Basically i follow zerofriction method by using 2 pots of wax, 1st pot for used chain to clean, then transfer to 2nd pot. After 10 times, throw away the wax from 1st pot and put in new wax. Then the 2nd pot will become the 1st pot.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

knightskid wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:31 am

Basically i follow zerofriction method by using 2 pots of wax, 1st pot for used chain to clean, then transfer to 2nd pot. After 10 times, throw away the wax from 1st pot and put in new wax. Then the 2nd pot will become the 1st pot.
I just pour boiling water over the chain. For InstantPot users, you can buy a second inner pot and boil batches of chains in there to remove most of the old wax.

kervelo

by kervelo

Erlandal wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:00 pm
...there seems to be more and more great drip solutions popping on the market.
this.

rhender

by rhender

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:55 pm
If the chain was fully stripped of oil based lube prior to beginning the waxing process, there's no need to repeat that cleaning in between waxes.

If the wax on the chain is just worn away after hundreds of km of riding, simply chuck in the pot of wax again and you're good. If it's seen some rain and road grime, pour boiling water over it to rinse it and then re-wax it. You can let it fully dry first or heat the wax over 212F and it will boil away any remaining moisture in the chain.

It doesn't have to be difficult and you don't have to think about it too much. The hard work is the initial stripping of the chain prior to waxing. After that it's easy peasy.
Helpful reply thank you! And just to clarify, if I use something like UFO drip in between waxing, it's still okay just go straight in?

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Like I said. I put boiling water over the chain in between 3 cycles in the Ultrasonic cleaner, and it still left quite a bit of black residue on a towel after that. I guess the mineral spirits don't do anything to remove wax after that but should you not still use alcohol since it removes water from the chain?

I'm only talking about dripwax here.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I get black residue even on a chain used exclusively indoors. It’s the lubricant itself plus abraded metal from the chain. Don’t worry about it.

vd91

by vd91

So I always used to use Squirt on my old bike which was Ultegra 8000 series Di2, Ultegra chain, only changed components were JRC jockey wheels, and it was perfect, silent, hassle free maintinence.

Got a new bike with SRAM Force AXS, and decided to go down the same route with Squirt wax. Thoroughly degreased everything. Added JRC jockey wheels again. Squirt lube was silent for the first 5 minutes of riding then made a bloody racket in the middle 4 gears, only on the front ring.

Took the bike to my LBS (because when I try and do anything myself I just end up breaking stuff), said the indexing was spot on. So bought a new chain and degreased, tried with CeramicSpeed lube (I know, but desperate for a quiet waxed chain), same story.

Took the chain off and degreased everything again. Tried Muc-Off C3 ceramic lube which I've not used for years before I originally started waxing my old chains. And now it runs perfectly silent, done 50km this morning and not a peep from the drivetrain.

Could it be that AXS simply doesn't like wax? Any other reasons for this?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

AXS runs quieter with oil in my experience.

Synergetic has been great at lowering the dB of this drivetrain.

I'm running CBear Full Ceramic Alu pulleys that are noisier... but super low frition than Stock Sram... but the noise with wax "Dynamic speedpotion " was far superior, than the Sram Pulleys and Silca Synergetic has been the solution i found.

I found no diference in wear between Synergetic and Speedpotion.

I use the speedpotion on my Campagnolo Super Record 12s with great results.

kervelo

by kervelo

According to Dynamic the chain noise was not taken into consideration when creating the Speed Potion wax. If a silent drive train is the first priority, they recommend Slick Wax.
https://dynamicbikecare.com/difference- ... slick-wax/

FWIW, my Force AXS XPLR and Eagle AXS have so far been very silent when using Speed Potion.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Now 20k km and no wear signs on my 3 chains.
Can't be bothered anymore with drip stuff.
Just use 3 chains and have two crockpots. Keep track of the total amount of km per wax pot (8k) and throw it away after that.
Wet rides ? When coming home I drop the chain in an old kettle and let it boil a few minutes. All wax gone and wipe it dry and store it for next wax session.
Cleaning cassette? Just use a water cooker and stiff bristle. Clean in 1 min
I really can't be bothered anymore with something else.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:32 pm
I get black residue even on a chain used exclusively indoors. It’s the lubricant itself plus abraded metal from the chain. Don’t worry about it.
Ok, thanks. Next time I guess I was too focused on getting it 100% clean.

vd91 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:56 pm
So I always used to use Squirt on my old bike which was Ultegra 8000 series Di2, Ultegra chain, only changed components were JRC jockey wheels, and it was perfect, silent, hassle free maintinence.

Got a new bike with SRAM Force AXS, and decided to go down the same route with Squirt wax. Thoroughly degreased everything. Added JRC jockey wheels again. Squirt lube was silent for the first 5 minutes of riding then made a bloody racket in the middle 4 gears, only on the front ring.

Took the bike to my LBS (because when I try and do anything myself I just end up breaking stuff), said the indexing was spot on. So bought a new chain and degreased, tried with CeramicSpeed lube (I know, but desperate for a quiet waxed chain), same story.

Took the chain off and degreased everything again. Tried Muc-Off C3 ceramic lube which I've not used for years before I originally started waxing my old chains. And now it runs perfectly silent, done 50km this morning and not a peep from the drivetrain.

Could it be that AXS simply doesn't like wax? Any other reasons for this?
I use Silca SS on my AXS bike, it seems pretty loud as well but I'm not really bothered by it. I also happen to use C3 Ceramic on my indoor bike which had Shimano Sora. I would say that it is more quiet.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com