What saddle bag do you guys recommend these days?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Loi wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:10 pm
robeambro wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:17 am
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new saddle bag for my main road bike. I only have two requirements:

- has to tuck in nicely along the saddle (however, considering that my saddle will be slightly forward on the rails, unsure how much space there will be) and not be too bulky.
- has to fit my Topeak Micro Rocket AL Pump (16cm / 6.3'' long), without being bulky. I definitely don't want some huge bag, I would rather switch to CO2 or use a tool bottle if this requirement would be too much of a pain :roll:

I don't have a lot of requirements in terms of space, it's just the abovementioned pump, a lightweight butyle tube, two levers and a Dynaplug Race plug tool (and a couple spare plugs, but those are tiny). I'm also open for alternative suggestions if any of you guys found ways to "hide" the pump underneath the saddle somehow (as it's my main bike I wouldn't like to have it visible as I would have it on my gravel bike).

I can also switch to a smaller pump but unsure whether there's any decent one.

What can you guys suggest that would fit the requirements? If you have evidence pics, that'd be great.
to my knowledge, only bag that fits a pump while not looking extremely bulky, is castelli undersaddle xl... holds pump via a mesh sleeve, so it's only an option if you are a dry weather rider.
You had me until you said "dry"!

I guess I'd need to look into uber micro pumps..

Raimundo

by Raimundo

My Specialized wedgie. Nowadays is sold under the Lizzard Skins brand, smallest variant if i am not mistaken.
Attachments
Weight while full.
Weight while full.
One opening and rear light loop.
One opening and rear light loop.
Straps seem to tuck away nicely to avoid bib damage.
Straps seem to tuck away nicely to avoid bib damage.
Includes all that is in the pic with plenty of space to spare.
Includes all that is in the pic with plenty of space to spare.
This is what i can shove inside the Stan's tube
This is what i can shove inside the Stan's tube

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Loi

by Loi

robeambro wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:14 pm
You had me until you said "dry"!

I guess I'd need to look into uber micro pumps..
You could obviously wrap the pump in some plastic to protect it from water. My setup (should be the same pump you have):
Attachments
csb.jpeg

okimy

by okimy

robeambro wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:17 am
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new saddle bag for my main road bike. I only have two requirements:

- has to tuck in nicely along the saddle (however, considering that my saddle will be slightly forward on the rails, unsure how much space there will be) and not be too bulky.
- has to fit my Topeak Micro Rocket AL Pump (16cm / 6.3'' long), without being bulky. I definitely don't want some huge bag, I would rather switch to CO2 or use a tool bottle if this requirement would be too much of a pain :roll:

I don't have a lot of requirements in terms of space, it's just the abovementioned pump, a lightweight butyle tube, two levers and a Dynaplug Race plug tool (and a couple spare plugs, but those are tiny). I'm also open for alternative suggestions if any of you guys found ways to "hide" the pump underneath the saddle somehow (as it's my main bike I wouldn't like to have it visible as I would have it on my gravel bike).

I can also switch to a smaller pump but unsure whether there's any decent one.

What can you guys suggest that would fit the requirements? If you have evidence pics, that'd be great.
I'd suggest looking at the lizardskins cache (or super cache) saddle bags. The super cache fits my mini tool, pump, levers, patch kit and has enough space for phone (iphone 7) and keys. It's also water resistant, which I was unfortunate enough to confirm in a 1,5hr ride with nonstop rain. I'm afraid I currently don't have pictures, but the ones online are fairly accurate.
https://www.bike24.com/p2183550.html the cache
https://www.bike24.com/p2183206.html the super cache
These links also have dimensions, I hope i was able to help.

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks all. I have a few options. They all seem a bit large (the Wedgie might be smaller at first sight), which makes me think about replacing the Topeak for a smaller pump..

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

I've just got the Lezyne Road Caddy, isn't too offensive, and fits a proper multi tool with chainbreaker, one tube, one tyre lever, one 16g CO2, CO2 inflator, and glueless patches. Not a bad option for longer rides. Jersey pockets for shorter rides still beats this though.
Attachments
EEC21B8A-870D-4E7D-B385-D8B0D7350EBC.jpeg
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I need a small saddle bag which doesn't need a seatpost strap and is big enough for some tyre stuff and a phone. Looked at a Zefal Z Light XS bag, but it's too small to hold a phone.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

robeambro

by robeambro

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:47 pm
I've just got the Lezyne Road Caddy, isn't too offensive, and fits a proper multi tool with chainbreaker, one tube, one tyre lever, one 16g CO2, CO2 inflator, and glueless patches. Not a bad option for longer rides. Jersey pockets for shorter rides still beats this though.
This definitely looks like the right size not to offend my eyes. What specific size model is it?

Nooga

by Nooga

SpeedSleev. By far my favorite I've ever had. Cinches up nice and snug. No rattling.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

I stated earlier that I ordered a SpeedSleev bag based on this thread. The bag is small, light, and fits everything as promised. Now I seem to be the exception but I ran into an issue after ~30 days of ownership. I reached out with my concerns/issues and almost immediately received a response from Rob, the owner. His only concern was making things right. Honestly, I could not have asked for a better response or support. I whole heartedly recommend SpeedSleev. They are now my go-to bag. Much better than Topeak or any of the other bags I have owned.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

robeambro wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 pm
Jackofallgrades wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:47 pm
This definitely looks like the right size not to offend my eyes. What specific size model is it?
I'm pretty sure there's only one size, search Lezyne Road Caddy.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

ms6073

by ms6073

jspaceman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:57 am
ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm
Sorry for the topic drift, but what mount are you using to attach your Varia to the ICS clip on the Fizik saddle?
The Bup Labs clip-in type for Fizik saddles, with mount arm and safety tether for the Varia. https://buplabs.com/
I ordered the V2 shortly after reading your reply, but unfortunately it is not as robust as the V1 as mine snapped off after less than 40-hours of use.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

survivor

by survivor

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:05 pm
I need a small saddle bag which doesn't need a seatpost strap and is big enough for some tyre stuff and a phone. Looked at a Zefal Z Light XS bag, but it's too small to hold a phone.
If you need the saddle bag to hold a phone, depending on the size of your phone, it is likely that the saddle bag won't be small.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

survivor wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:12 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:05 pm
If you need the saddle bag to hold a phone, depending on the size of your phone, it is likely that the saddle bag won't be small.
Yeah, in the end I got a Zefal Z Light extra small saddle bag. It fits my multi tool, Co2 canister and some sealant but not my relatively small Galaxy mobile. So that goes in my jersey pocket.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 pm
Yeah, in the end I got a Zefal Z Light extra small saddle bag. It fits my multi tool, Co2 canister and some sealant but not my relatively small Galaxy mobile. So that goes in my jersey pocket.
:thumbup:
For your next saddle bag, if you need something compact yet spacious, quick to attach, and not as obstrusive, might want to consider SNAP.B.