What saddle bag do you guys recommend these days?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

kervelo

by kervelo

PSM wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:52 am
I recommend you back pockets. :)
That is definitely the best option. That is why the jerseys have the three pockets, after all.

I would never use any saddle bag with my road bikes. For my gravel bike and xc mtb I just purchased this one:

https://www.orucase.com/collections/acc ... 4166416437

It is a tiny bag, but big enough for the Dynaplug tool, a very small bottle of orange seal, etc. things that I carry for possible tubeless issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

kervelo wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:31 am
PSM wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:52 am
I recommend you back pockets. :)
That is definitely the best option. That is why the jerseys have the three pockets, after all.
The problem is the fact that the summer jerseys are alot smaller. I use a thepack.cc bag with inner tube etc. It does get quite heavy and it tends to hang down a bit. I would rather have the room available to tuck away arm/leg warmers. 1 side is full with phone/card/cash and the other side is filled with food.

req110

by req110

I think that saddlebag looks much better than jersey with big pockets full of stuff. Especially when the jersey is loose on you and not sitting symetrically.

I am trying to keep jersey as flat and tight as possible keeping there only phone, ID, one or two bars, and maybe pump.

The combo of """"spareTube, chainlink, tubolito patch, etap battery, cr2032 battery""""" i usually have in one bottle (the zip tool bottle), in one bottle cage. In the other bottle cage i have regular bottle, with water.

Or, if i am planning longer trip, where i need both bottle cages for bottle, i take a saddle bag.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Interesting preferences.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

kervelo

by kervelo

One way to carry the required items in the jersey pockets and still have room for gels and bars is to pack all the things in "containers", instead of just stuffing them to the pockets. I use three containers. One of them is the rapha waterproof bag for my phone. The second one is similar, but a bit smaller bag that contains two (road) inner tubes and a CO2 cartridge. The third one is similar to the previous one and it contains a small multitool, tyre levers, a second CO2 cartridge, etc. items for emergencies. Having those containers in the jersey pockets leaves still room for some gels and energy bars. There is no room for extra clothing though, except for the Assos super light windbraker if the weather looks suspicious.

It is also nice to know that once I have packed my three containers in the jersey pockets I have everything I would need during a ride.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I used to stuff my jersey pockets with food and tools. I was a bit worried about loose tools poking into me during a crash. :|
Then switched to wearing base layers + bumbag (which was good because you could access stuff while riding without stopping).
But it looked terrible so I stopped doing that. :oops:

Now I'm using a saddlebag. I like not having any extra weight hanging off on my body. :mrgreen:
I just stop when I want to refuel now. Still not fit enough for massive nonstop outings like I used to. :cry:
I got an original speed sleev that goes on the top tube, may use that for energy on the go in future. :?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

milanv

by milanv

Raimundo wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:24 pm
My Specialized wedgie. Nowadays is sold under the Lizzard Skins brand, smallest variant if i am not mistaken.
It destroys bibs, so I cannot recommend them...

ff119

by ff119

Loi wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:06 pm
robeambro wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:14 pm
You had me until you said "dry"!

I guess I'd need to look into uber micro pumps..
You could obviously wrap the pump in some plastic to protect it from water. My setup (should be the same pump you have):
does that one fit a phone?

Loi

by Loi

ff119 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:27 am
Loi wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:06 pm
robeambro wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:14 pm
You had me until you said "dry"!

I guess I'd need to look into uber micro pumps..
You could obviously wrap the pump in some plastic to protect it from water. My setup (should be the same pump you have):
does that one fit a phone?
Hardly. My 11pro (non-max) wouldn't fit...

mvcap

by mvcap

In ~6yrs of riding on the road (8k mi last yr), I have never used a saddle bag. I have been incredibly lucky to have needed 1 pick up by my wife with a flat - thankfully, she works from home. One other time I had a loose bottle cage bolt and asked a gentleman who was working in his driveway for an allen key, which he kindly shared.

Probably 95% of my rides are solo, which I believe helps avoid road debris as I can watch for it and dodge it, which is much more difficult when in a group with obscured view of the road ahead and inability to swerve when needed. Few people tend to point out this advantage of solo rides.

However, in recent months while on longer rides with friends and on new roads, I have felt like it's more of a gamble to ride without tire repair items, namely. So, I started looking around. I was interested in the Silca Roll, but ended up going with the Lezyne Roll Caddy.

It's big enough to hold levers, tube, multitool, spare cash, patches, but the strap it mounts with keeps it very tight under the saddle. I don't even notice it's there, and actually have checked a few times lately to be sure.

I have started putting a Lezyne Pocket Drive mini pump in a jersey pocket, again it's light and small and I forget it's there.

But if needed, I'm now better-prepared than I used to be! Happy with the purchase and recommend

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

jspaceman

by jspaceman

MrRolandos wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:07 pm
Did you ever find a solution? Looking for something similar, using a Specialized Power Expert saddle with SWAT mount for my Garmin RTL515 radar. Now I would like to keep this and mount a saddle bag behind it. But space is ofcourse a bit limited. Was looking at Silca Mattone as it's high recommened by many. Would like your feedback! :-)
Yeah, I went with the Silca Seat Roll Premio https://www.amazon.ca/Silca-SILCA-Seat- ... B06XD46PGR

But I think it's been discontinued and replaced with the Asymmetrico https://silca.cc/collections/packs-on-b ... symmetrico

I like it. It can be a little finicky sometimes getting it on or off, but once it's on it stays in place and doesn't push my Varia up or anything like that.

milanv

by milanv

jspaceman wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:28 am
MrRolandos wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:07 pm
Did you ever find a solution? Looking for something similar, using a Specialized Power Expert saddle with SWAT mount for my Garmin RTL515 radar. Now I would like to keep this and mount a saddle bag behind it. But space is ofcourse a bit limited. Was looking at Silca Mattone as it's high recommened by many. Would like your feedback! :-)
Yeah, I went with the Silca Seat Roll Premio https://www.amazon.ca/Silca-SILCA-Seat- ... B06XD46PGR

But I think it's been discontinued and replaced with the Asymmetrico https://silca.cc/collections/packs-on-b ... symmetrico

I like it. It can be a little finicky sometimes getting it on or off, but once it's on it stays in place and doesn't push my Varia up or anything like that.
So you successfully use it in a combination with Garmin Varia Radar?

Verbal

by Verbal

I ride successfully my roll premio and varia.
I really like to ride in silence with my tools, spares...firmly locked

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

i see some of these saddle bags are really cool, but i have issue that i am using saddle mount for garmin varia radar at the same time. So i have to use very small Bontrager Elite Micro Seat pack, which can handle

tube, etap battery, multitool, cr2032... but i have issue with the inflator or pump. so i need to figure out some good combination. maybe some nice small pump put on the down/seat tube.

other option may be using the extended varia mount, but that don't look cool much.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p