Ultrasonic cleaning device recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cubist

by Cubist

I want to start waxing my chain with Molten Speed Wax to get a more efficient drivetrain. Also I want to get the chain clean from the wax with an ultrasonic cleaner.
Any recommendations what to look for in a cleaner? The prices differ wildly. Do you need the heating function? If it is possible I want a relatively cheap device if it gets the job done. Do cheap ultrasonic cleaning devices clean worse than the more expensive ones? I need it to be big enough to submerge a cassette and a chain. Thanks in advance.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

They don't work well with heavy grease and crap that gets on/in a chain. I'm selling both my ultrasonic cleaners.

Suggest gasoline overnight. Then degreaser, then alcohol. The alcohol needs to be changed once or twice. So lets say 4 steps.
1. gasoline few hours, preferably overnight
2. degreaser (minutes)
3. alcohol 1h maybe

The trick to working with gasoline is to find a small container with a lid so you can shake the stuff without any of it spilling. Then there's just a bit of smell for the short period when you open the lid. That's all.

Gasoline is a better solvent than kerosene and diesel. So unfortunately it's kind of worth the risk. Work with closed containers and you'll be fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Unniti

by Unniti

But waxed chains don't have heavy grease and they don't attract any crap because they're dry to the touch. Hot water in an ultrasonic cleaner will clean the chain from the wax residue.

Cubist

by Cubist

Is it not easier just to put degreaser in the ultrasonic instead?

Ymerej

by Ymerej

Amazon 50-60 bucks
Simple green 15-20 minutes
Cold beer, music while cleaning rest of bike.
My US cleaner is just a tad small to submerge entire cassette so I just rotate a few times to clean the whole thing.

Maddie

by Maddie

With new chains I prefer to clean them like Alcatraz mentioned. From then on with a USC. If you want to clean cassettes you need a unit with at least 3l capacity.
Heating is nice but you can also use a kettle to preheat water/cleaning solution. But never forget when using a kettle: happy wife happy life

MikeD

by MikeD

Check the Silca website.

KCookie

by KCookie

Think mine was about AU$60 best move I made getting one and waxing my chains. Yes I would invest in one that heats up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

New chains come with a very thick grease on them. Even if the ultrasonic gets them clean on the outside, it's still greasy on the inside. Any oil based coating will repell the wax and thus you'll never get the wax to stick. It means you need to apply wax often. If you do it right you get long intervals between rewaxing and quiet chains as well as long mileage.

If you contaminate your wax pot you quickly need to replace that. If you have a good cleaning routine that wax stays clean and you get less work.

A properly waxed chain doesn't get very dirty. Rinse in hot water and you can rewax it.
Attachments
1015770995.jpg
Last edited by alcatraz on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

They are all about the same. Get one with a Stainless tub thats big enough for your cassette (2L? size). I'd skip the heated ones and the watts don't really matter (the watts / capacity does, but more watts over doing the job doesn't get you anything). Buy the one that's easy to clean and cheap.

Cubist

by Cubist

Thank you all for the reply’s. I’m now leaning to not using a US cleaner after all after reading this article:

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... ide-v2.pdf

Just might not need it after all for proper waxing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxPower

by MaxPower

No, it is bot needed, but can help to do the job. I don't use one, and I'm just fine. It is pretty much a big hassle at the beginning, but after thw first waxing it is a breeze, and i kind of like the routine.

Conza

by Conza

Got a small one from Kogan - like $60-80 Aud, plastic sandwich bags with chain. Degreaser. On a few times, for a few minutes each. Change degreaser. Then cleaner/water.
Works a treat.
It's all about the adventure :o .

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

For those with experience using gasoline, any recommendations on how to dispose of it safely when done?

MaxPower

by MaxPower

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 am
For those with experience using gasoline, any recommendations on how to dispose of it safely when done?
Depends where you live. In Denmark we have public places for chemical handover.
I use mineral spirit. I let the jar stand after use for stuff to settle at the bottom (2 days) and then filter it through coffee filters. Do so with good ventilation. The filteret spirit is as clean as new and i reuse it. The little that is left in the filter i reject (rejection bottle will be disposed off to the local station)

Same goes for alcohol bath at the end. Filter through coffee filter back into a dedicated bottle.

The process is A LOT faster if you let contaminations settle at the bottom of the container first before filtering, as the fine coffee filter gets clogged up very fast.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com