Ultrasonic cleaning device recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Discodan

by Discodan

Conza wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:57 am
Got a small one from Kogan - like $60-80 Aud, plastic sandwich bags with chain. Degreaser. On a few times, for a few minutes each. Change degreaser. Then cleaner/water.
Works a treat.
Interesting, do you suspend the bag of chain/cleaner in water to pass through the waves or can it just sit in the dry bowl?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

this stuff is pure magic. works in seconds stripping off that industrial preservative that chains come packed in. its also bioderadable and non-toxic

https://oileater.com/household/cleaner-degreaser/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

Discodan wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 am
Conza wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:57 am
Got a small one from Kogan - like $60-80 Aud, plastic sandwich bags with chain. Degreaser. On a few times, for a few minutes each. Change degreaser. Then cleaner/water.
Works a treat.
Interesting, do you suspend the bag of chain/cleaner in water to pass through the waves or can it just sit in the dry bowl?
Yeah, so its JUST the water in the ultasonic cleaning thing... so I don't need to clean that as well.

Water on the outside, then degreaser in sandwich bag with chain. I usually double it up, in case any leaks.

Haven't tried dry bowl but I imagine wouldn't be as effective? :shrug:

Inspired by: https://youtu.be/G39h0tNWA7U?t=151
It's all about the adventure :o .

figgie

by figgie

Do not use the ultrasonic tanks dry. It will kill them in short order.

The liquid acts as a heat sink to dissapate the heat the sonic transducer produce (usually 60 watts per transducer).

coresare

by coresare

I got this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728 ... UTF8&psc=1

I think 3 liters is a good size for bike chain.

I agree with Alcatraz about ultrasonic cleaners. I think their strength only comes into play for inside surfaces where a plain scrub cant reach. After the ultrasonic bath, contaminants are loose, but some still are sitting on the part. I would imagine the same is happening inside the rollers. The contaminants might be loosened, but I would imagine some of it is still sitting inside there. I wouldn't trust an ultrasonic cleaner with a more mild degreaser such as simple green to be able to strip that factory grease. You would need something more heavy duty. Like alcatraz said, gasoline, or carb/engine degreaser which you shouldn't use in your heated ultrasonic cleaner.

nismosr

by nismosr

what about this one .. saw a guy in YT using this Ultrasonic ..

https://www.isonicinc.com/index.php/Pro ... del/P4820/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIG2dOR9FBc
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

MikeD

by MikeD

nismosr wrote:what about this one .. saw a guy in YT using this Ultrasonic ..

https://www.isonicinc.com/index.php/Pro ... del/P4820/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIG2dOR9FBc
Junk. I've got one that looks similar, bought from Harbor Freight. Seems weak to me. Only used it a few times. Got my chain cleaner using Simple Green and hot water in an old water bottle.

figgie

by figgie

I use this for bike chains and for car parts especially engine and wheel bearings.

https://www.zep.com/product/zepcommerci ... oncentrate

My Ultrasonic cleaner is 180 watts worth, dual frequency and can heat up the degreaser to 80c. It works beautifully.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm
New chains come with a very thick grease on them. Even if the ultrasonic gets them clean on the outside, it's still greasy on the inside. Any oil based coating will repell the wax and thus you'll never get the wax to stick. It means you need to apply wax often. If you do it right you get long intervals between rewaxing and quiet chains as well as long mileage.

If you contaminate your wax pot you quickly need to replace that. If you have a good cleaning routine that wax stays clean and you get less work.

A properly waxed chain doesn't get very dirty. Rinse in hot water and you can rewax it.
I just got one and it doesn't seem to do much. Although it's the cheapest one.

How can you tell when the chain is completely stripped though? That's what I don't understand.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

MikeD

by MikeD

Roadbiker10 wrote:
alcatraz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm
New chains come with a very thick grease on them. Even if the ultrasonic gets them clean on the outside, it's still greasy on the inside. Any oil based coating will repell the wax and thus you'll never get the wax to stick. It means you need to apply wax often. If you do it right you get long intervals between rewaxing and quiet chains as well as long mileage.

If you contaminate your wax pot you quickly need to replace that. If you have a good cleaning routine that wax stays clean and you get less work.

A properly waxed chain doesn't get very dirty. Rinse in hot water and you can rewax it.
I just got one and it doesn't seem to do much. Although it's the cheapest one.

How can you tell when the chain is completely stripped though? That's what I don't understand.
If you soak a new chain in mineral spirits for 24 hours, it'll remove the grease. Follow with an alcohol rinse and it's good to go.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

When you take the chain out of the mineral spirits wipe it with a clean rag - if the rag is clean, do an alcohol rinse and you're good to go, if the rag isn't clean after you wipe it down, do another mineral spirits bath and continue until you are able to wipe the chain down and the rag not show any discoloration. Once you get to that point, do an alcohol rinse to get the mineral spirits off and you're ready to wax.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Glass jar with degreaser and chain inside works better than plastic ziploc bags.

If you are cleaning chain use TIDE laundry detergent. Leave the jar lid off, and get a taller jar so the suds don't spill over to your main water bath.

Don't use TIDE for anything that is aluminum it is caustic and will strip the finish and oxidize the aluminum. It is fine for a steel chain.

Rinse well under running water. Then put it in a clean jar with normal water and place back to ultrasonic bath. Change water and repeat until no more soap bubbles.

I use this ultrasonic machine.
https://www.hornady.com/reloading/case- ... ic-cleaner

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Thanks. I will get the mineral spirits and give that ago. I have already had the chain in degreaser for two days, while changing the degreaser three times and shaking it. I will try putting it in a jar, haven't thought of that.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

robertbb

by robertbb

UFO-clean folks.

It's magic on chains, it's biodegradeable and it's non toxic. Ought to be perfectly fine in an ultrasonic too if that's your jam (I personally find a glass jar and some shaking to be perfectly adequate). It's also perfect for stripping factory grease off chains before you revert to the new-gen wax-based drip-lube of your choice.

Glad to have the mineral spirits, turps and other chemicals out of the house/garage. Likewise the ultrasonic cleaner and the crock pot for wax melts. Unecessary.

manystyles

by manystyles

robertbb wrote:UFO-clean folks.

It's magic on chains, it's biodegradeable and it's non toxic. Ought to be perfectly fine in an ultrasonic too if that's your jam (I personally find a glass jar and some shaking to be perfectly adequate). It's also perfect for stripping factory grease off chains before you revert to the new-gen wax-based drip-lube of your choice.

Glad to have the mineral spirits, turps and other chemicals out of the house/garage. Likewise the ultrasonic cleaner and the crock pot for wax melts. Unecessary.
This.

Also, I’ve paired it with UFO Drip. I’m curious to see how much longer I can go before cleaning. This is my first rodeo with wax based lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com