2021 BMC Teammachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

riochang

by riochang

I have a Tarmac SL7, and there are so many SL7 on the road in my country... not surprisingly as they have dominated stage wins, got tons of great reviews from journalists and users, people want these!
But it started to feel like owning a really good sports car like porsche 911, super nice car, expensive, and nothing to complaint about, yet it doesn't have the uniqueness of owning boutique ones like honda NSX (probably a bad example, but can't really think of a worthy opponent to 911s)

I am considering switching to Teammachine SLR01 to find that uniqueness again... am I crazy to think about the switch? also teammachine doesn't seem to have much love from weightweenie community, we are still at page 26 one year after it's announcement :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

riochang wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:07 pm
...yet it doesn't have the uniqueness of owning boutique ones like honda NSX (probably a bad example, but can't really think of a worthy opponent to 911s)

I am considering switching to Teammachine SLR01 to find that uniqueness again.
There is nothing unique about BMCs whatsoever. If you want to get something that screams more dentist than an SL7, go Cervelo S5, Dogma F or that Enve bike.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

riochang

by riochang

thanks for suggestion :) im eyeing bmc simply because I dont really see them on the road here as the price is similar to sworks sl7, most people would just go for sl7.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

riochang wrote:
I have a Tarmac SL7, and there are so many SL7 on the road in my country... not surprisingly as they have dominated stage wins, got tons of great reviews from journalists and users, people want these!
But it started to feel like owning a really good sports car like porsche 911, super nice car, expensive, and nothing to complaint about, yet it doesn't have the uniqueness of owning boutique ones like honda NSX (probably a bad example, but can't really think of a worthy opponent to 911s)

I am considering switching to Teammachine SLR01 to find that uniqueness again... am I crazy to think about the switch? also teammachine doesn't seem to have much love from weightweenie community, we are still at page 26 one year after it's announcement :roll:
I had the opporttunity to ride a BMC TMR01 for a few months last year. The overall quality was sub par in comparison to my S-Works Tarmac SL6, starting from the paint's finish, the thru axles and the finishing kit.
I haven't ridden the teammachine yet, but i'd rather keep the Sl7, get an Aethos, the new cervelo r5 or something fancy Italian. They are just as expensive, but the paintjobs are spectacular and you could get a full campy build to make it even more special.

Pukutis

by Pukutis

riochang wrote:I have a Tarmac SL7, and there are so many SL7 on the road in my country... not surprisingly as they have dominated stage wins, got tons of great reviews from journalists and users, people want these!

Here you have a guy who has tested both bikes:

https://youtu.be/BYAJVcEVSdk

I have the the bmc slr01, before a sl5 (4 years). The bmc is definetely better bike for me, stiffer and more stable. I have not tested sl6 or sl7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asas54

by asas54

I am currently using 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR (Disc brake) model. I recently received Farsports Feder Disc wheelset with DT240 EXP hub. The rear wheel easily fitted to the bike. However, although front thru axle goes into the front wheel, I can't lock it (screw it). I tried the original Mavic wheel from the bike, and other wheels including 2021 Farsports Ventoux C4 with farsports hub. They locks in perfectly. There is no visual defect on the hub at all. Is there anyone who have experience or knows about this issue? I visited two bike shops which imports farsports wheelset with 15+ years of experience and they said that they never experienced the problem like this. Please help!!

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

riochang: I went from the 2019 Teammachine SLR01 to the SL7 S-Works. So I was not on the 2021 model, but they are fairly similar I would say. I do not at all agree with @nulldreiundreissig about the BMC having overall lower quality than the S-Works, I would allmost say the opposite, but both are great. Surely the S-Works has a few more fancy paint options, but nothing wrong with the quality of the BMC paint itself. The biggest difference for me is the stiffness, the BMC feels stiffer, but I guess that feeling also comes from riding 25mm tires on the BMC and 28mm tires on the S-Works. The feeling of the SL7 reminds me more of the feeling I got from my 2016 Canyon Ultimate SLX (w/25mm tires), a feeling I personally prefer.

The main reason for why I switched bike was to get better tire clearance. I was strongly considering the 2021 Teammachine, but went SL7 for a few reasons:
- The 2021 BMC looked allmost completely equal to my 2019 model
- I wanted to try a new brand (for me)
- I was not a fan of the 2021 BMC integrated handlebar/stem, I was sitting perfect on a 56cm frame with stock 120mm stem, new model had 110mm stemlength for 56cm frame, so was not sure if I had to switch complete handlebar stem.
- The 2021 handlebar/stem was red, that is pretty much a no-go for me personally.
- The S-Works had a BSA BB, instead of BB86 for BMC (not that I had any issues with my 2019 BMC BB)
- I really liked the look of the Roval Rapides, was not sure which wheels I would have chosen on the BMC, there are a few more good options now than a year ago imo. (this was also the reason why I dropped the Emonda, wanted something deeper than the RSL37, if Trek had announced the RSL51 wheels earlier I would have been on the Emonda today)

bilwit

by bilwit

riochang wrote:

This was my dilemma too around 2017 with the previous gen models. Used to see Dogmas everywhere around here, then it became SL6s and venge's. Not that they're bad bikes but the fact that they're so trendy and everyone has one drove me to look for alternatives. Just as it was back then, the Teammachine doesn't quantitatively do anything better than other bikes: weight, aero, even price. The deciding factor for me was the aesthetic and relative rarity.

I will say that BMC was doing drop stays long before the other brands though :lol: You could even say they made the first "modern" road bike that never caught on (Roadmachine in 2016 had 28mm-32mm clearance, disc brakes, and drop stays)

scottydonald

by scottydonald

I currently own a Cervelo S Series(2021 S3) with everything updated on it that can be done.

I have a S5 frame and DuraAce 12 speed on order(seperate places); I just found a SLR01 Frame in my size and avaialble now -

Tell me why is should go SLR over the S5? please.
Last edited by scottydonald on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zaykay

by zaykay

Just last week I rode 400km's on mountains around Nice on new 2021 Teammachine and I was actually impressed. After selling my 2019 Teammachine disc I was skeptical about the new frame since changes looked small on paper. They have fixed the biggest issue of the previous bike which was the harsh fork. The first disc teammachine model had harsh fork compared to rim brake model (compared this back to back since owning both at the same time) and this new model is again on par with previous rim model. If you liked the previous SLR this is an upgrade. It has bigger tire clearance and smoother ride on front, otherwise very similar feeling bike. Tire clearance on seatstays could have been few mm's wider, I think 30mm is max real width on seat stays.

Pukutis

by Pukutis

For the owners of the bmc slr01, are you keeping the aero bottle cages? Or have you changed them for something more light?

IchDien

by IchDien

scottydonald wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:41 pm
I currently own a Cervelo S Series(2021 S3) with everything updated on it that can be done.

I have a S5 frame and DuraAce 12 speed on order(seperate places); I just found a SLR01 Frame in my size and avaialble now -

No experience with the BMC but shouldn't the S5 be receiving an update roughly 2022?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Pukutis wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:41 am
For the owners of the bmc slr01, are you keeping the aero bottle cages? Or have you changed them for something more light?

43g and 26g seem light enough for the nice integration and aero benefits

scottydonald

by scottydonald

IchDien wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:57 am
scottydonald wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:41 pm

No experience with the BMC but shouldn't the S5 be receiving an update roughly 2022?
I dont know, If thats true then i might just wait.

I am stuck in two minds right now, new frame this winter into spring or wait another year as my frame is great just heavy. I am definitely going DA when i get it in April ish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IchDien

by IchDien

Nothing wrong with your S3 for the winter i'd say - especially riding in Scotland. Not sure why you'd want a new frame to ride around with salt and grit on the roads.

I'd just see the lie of the land when your DA-12speed shows up but up to you of course.