2021 Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:09 am
i would not buy the madone/domane . they have a fundamental flaw in the iso speed cluster. they issued a service bulletin to all the dealers.

Retailer bulletin
Madone and Domane IsoSpeed bolt and nut loosening

i luv the last part of the txt. lol.

What Trek is doing
Trek is investigating design changes for future production.

I know 3 people who have had the wobbly seatmast, but I haven't experienced it myself...and I also know probably another dozen people with Madones who haven't had the issue. It's clearly not a problem every Madone develops, so I wouldn't say it's a fundamental flaw. Now if we want to talk design flaws, I think the fork crown/headtube interference issue when overrotated...that's a bigger problem. The little plastic steerer stop breaks far too easily.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

if a nut and bolt loosening is a problem for anyone, spend 5 minutes learning how to service the isospeed joint. I don't own one, but I was able to take one apart in 5 minutes to reposition the slip layer at the front of the mast section to eliminate a squeek. Really not difficult at all.

tmrace

by tmrace

Sorry to revive the thread. Has anyone heard anything about when an overhauled version of the Madone might be released? I was initially thinking model year 2023 might be a possibility, but I'm not sure since I don't have any insider knowledge.

I have a perfectly good bike I can ride right now so timing isn't crucial and I can wait for the bike I want. I just don't want to spend money on a bike that was essentially released in 2016 (minor refreshes aside).
:beerchug:

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

currently Madone is disappear on the Project One website. Perhaps it could be the sign 😜😜

RDY

by RDY

IMO they'll keep something to soften road vibration - probably a very simple elastomer - but will scrap the isospeed thing. Too heavy, too expensive, too prone to service issues. Its elimination would also allow them to drop the seatstays and make the rear end of the bike significantly more aero.

Propel is *probably* all new for MY23, and it's of similar vintage.

tmrace

by tmrace

ch00bzs wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:25 am
currently Madone is disappear on the Project One website. Perhaps it could be the sign 😜😜
I noticed this as well. Couldn't tell if it was just an inventory issue or a sign they are phasing them out.

I looked more on the website and couldn't find many madone specific parts available either.

tmrace

by tmrace

RDY wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:09 pm
IMO they'll keep something to soften road vibration - probably a very simple elastomer - but will scrap the isospeed thing. Too heavy, too expensive, too prone to service issues. Its elimination would also allow them to drop the seatstays and make the rear end of the bike significantly more aero.

Propel is *probably* all new for MY23, and it's of similar vintage.
I hope they scrap the iso speed. I'd much rather have enough tire clearance and let the rider choose their tire size depending on how much vibration dampening they want than have a heavy iso speed solution that adds unnecessary weight.

If they go with a simple elastomer then I'm fine with that as long as it's low-no maintenance, lightweight, and doesn't deterioate easily.

tmrace

by tmrace

Repost.

eric01

by eric01

I think isospeed is brilliant, but unfortunately far too heavy. If the penalty vs other benchmark aero frames (say 900g?) was 150g or less, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Current gen madone is giving up 300-400g, i think. Happy to be corrected if someone has actual weights... not the easiest to find actual weights of bare frame. But plenty of feedback and even magazine reviews saying Madone is great bike but overweight
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium