2021 Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sigma

by sigma

spartan wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:52 pm
the madone design has failed. too heavy,questionable use of the adjustable ISOSPEED and no perceivable aero advantage against the TARMAC SL7,FILANTE,DOGMA etc.

back to the drawing board. :oops:
Don't tell that to Mads Pedersen...
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

*no perceivable aero advantage* - you rode all of them or you just looked at the numbers of one southern German cycling magazine and went from there with your statement?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

spud

by spud

^ in all fairness, subjective conclusions about aero are pretty worthless. No way can you reliably tell me one aero bike is faster than another, based on feel. You need a controlled environment like an indoor velodrome, back to back tests etc. Who has time for that?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

An just like feel isn't accurate, so the test of tour mag has its issues.
The Madone of Mads Pedersen they tested was a size larger (58) than normal bikes they test (56), had a non standard cockpit (much rounder) and weird 28c tires with profile. The fact that it scored 216W on the test still is rather impressive, considering how many factors were speaking against it to perform well.

Also, low single digit watts more or less shouldn't make a bike *failed*.
The culture of discussion here is a tad ridiculous at times...
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

gwilson

by gwilson

Also the Madone is much more comfortable/compliant than any other aero bike I've ever riden. Being aero is great, but having the bike actually enjoyable to ride makes it much more useful to me. I've spent a lot of time on a SystemSix as well, and would gladly give up 5 watts in aero drag for a significantly more comfortable and enjoyable ride.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Has anyone ever seen a mythical 47cm 2021 Madone SLR? The 50cm frames already look ridiculous...

cajer

by cajer

I have a 50cm and I think it looks pretty good. But I also really like small bikes. I have a 51cm s5 disc and wish I had the 48cm.

If the seat post doesn't start at tire level it feels too big!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Some bikes just don't work under a certain size. Ronald Kuba's new Shiv TT in XS looks awful too. All other sizes have a straight horizontal top tube, but this one now has a bend in it. Trek bikes work best in size 56 and 58 IMO.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

sigma

by sigma

gwilson wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:47 pm
Also the Madone is much more comfortable/compliant than any other aero bike I've ever riden. Being aero is great, but having the bike actually enjoyable to ride makes it much more useful to me. I've spent a lot of time on a SystemSix as well, and would gladly give up 5 watts in aero drag for a significantly more comfortable and enjoyable ride.
This is something Cancellara made clear when they designed the Domane. Get me close to the finish line feeling less beat up and fresher and I will have better legs for the final kicks. Honestly, for me, unless you are riding silky smooth roads all the time, it's one of the most overlooked aspects of any bike buying decision. The Domane was a game changer for me on crap pot-hole ridden roads and my Cervelo S series, undoubtedly more aero and "faster", were replaced in favor of a compliant alternative.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Stitchking

by Stitchking

sigma wrote:
spartan wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:52 pm
the madone design has failed. too heavy,questionable use of the adjustable ISOSPEED and no perceivable aero advantage against the TARMAC SL7,FILANTE,DOGMA etc.

back to the drawing board. :oops:
Don't tell that to Mads Pedersen...
Cc: Jasper Stuyven

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Trek really had an awful weekend. Bad engineering!
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

ODC

by ODC

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Trek really had an awful weekend. Bad engineering!
Don't forget SRAM (for the haters).

kerio

by kerio

Would you order 2022 Madone SLR with 12sp Di2 now (considering it was released 2+ years ago) or choose something else?
Last edited by kerio on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If I were in the market? Yeah, I'd pull the trigger and order it. It just got new components and was refreshed not too long ago. I'd expect the Domane to get updated before the Madone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

i would not buy the madone/domane . they have a fundamental flaw in the iso speed cluster. they issued a service bulletin to all the dealers.

Retailer bulletin
Madone and Domane IsoSpeed bolt and nut loosening

i luv the last part of the txt. lol.

What Trek is doing
Trek is investigating design changes for future production.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7