2021 Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric01

by eric01

Wow that bike is really something. Personally not my cup of tea but I appreciate the bold color choices! Definitely not a boring bike!
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MRM

by MRM

Rogeliote wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 pm
I would like to share with you my special madone: 6450 grms with pedals
Bold choice. :thumbup:

Rim brakes, no front dereilleur, no small chainring etc.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

My madone slr disc was 8.3kg with ultegra mechanical and 42mm deep carbon wheels set up tubeless. Did have speedplay nanogram pedals and some other bling. Definitely heavy.

Honestly though, best bike I've ever owned. Was comfy as hell, fit enormous tyres (had some 32c on aeolus 3v rims measuring 34mm with tonnes of clearance), held speed awesomely, and imo looked great.

I replaced it with an etap axs propel that I've just sold that was no where near as nice to ride, even with the fancy drivetrain.

If they get rid of bb90, make it slightly lighter, that would make it ideal for me. As a heavier rider, i actually really appreciated the isospeed, though i never adjusted it. Made a big difference to fatigue on rides over 100kmImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MRM wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 am
Rogeliote wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 pm
I would like to share with you my special madone: 6450 grms with pedals
Bold choice. :thumbup:

Rim brakes, no front dereilleur, no small chainring etc.

Previous generation without the "Dolphin Dick" IsoSpeed unit.

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

Thank you guys!

I wanted to build and aero bike under 6.5 kgs fully reliable.
I can not understand that we pay more than 10k euros for a bike and sometimes the weight is higher than 8 kgs. Just my opinion.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Rogeliote wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 am
Thank you guys!

I can not understand that we pay more than 10k euros for a bike and sometimes the weight is higher than 8 kgs. Just my opinion.

How many of us have body fat to lose? I'm around 8% BF and don't really sweat riding an 8kg bike most of the time.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Rogeliote wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 am
Thank you guys!

People on this site tend to focus too much on a Gramm more or less. Before Park Tool releases a "aero scale" and we can all measure drag at home, this is unlikely to change. Saving 1kg of weight on the bike will save a 70kg rider 30 seconds up Alpe d'Huez, almost 40 seconds up Monte Zoncolan. When traveling at 35kph (probably under 300W on flat/mixed terrain), an aero bike is going to save you around the same or more than that over the same duration.
For anything but the biggest grand tour climbs, an 8KG Madone will save you more watts than an "aero climbing bike". Whether spending 10 grand on a bike makes sense in the first place is a personal thing. 10 grand isn't the same for everyone. If the other things in your life a severely exacerbated because you spent so much on your bike, it probably isn't a good idea to do so. For me, the money isn't missing elsewhere, so instead of letting it rot in my bank account at -0.1% interest, I decided to buy something that gives me joy every single day. :beerchug:
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

SLR, 56cm size, 110/42 combo, DA mech (non standard 53-36 cranks and a 11-25 cassette), rim brakes, XXX 4, slr kit carbonio - a little bit over 7,6 kg mark. I'm happy, don't even switch wheels for riding in the hills. it's just a complete, do-it-all road weapon. if I could shave another 200-300g from the frameset, I'd be tempted, but then I'd have to get a disc version, which adds weight - a complete nonsense to me..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

At 300W I’d lose about 20 seconds for every 20 minutes of 8% grade on my Madone. Doesn’t matter for training. Could matter in a race. RIP racing.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

perhaps in a WT level race, but then they don't use Madones (or any aero bikes for that matter) for climbing stages.

maybe it's a placebo effect, but imho Mads is not just overally the best bike I've ever had/ridden, but also the best climbing bike (by that I mean doing mostly high cadence 5-10% 2-4km long climbs). not that I've ever owned a proper, e.g. sub 6kg climbing machine, but did have a Canyon SLX (or whatever exact model that was) stashed at my parents in law house (where I go for climbing action) for like two years, and all things considered - I'm able to do same routes on Madone just a bit faster, adn feeling a lot better/comfier.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The fact that WT Riders use climbing bikes on most days shouldn't really be relevant to the customers. They also all use extra shallow wheels on climbing days, even when their bikes don't even get any lighter (Canyon Ultimate Evo or Specialized Tarmac Rim are easily under 6.8kg, even with super deep wheels). I understand the concept of rotating mass, but I don't believe a 6.8kg bike with shallow wheels (30mm or under) is faster than a 6.8kg bike with deep wheels (50mm or over) anywhere. Probably not even up a steep climb.
When you watch these GCN videos, where they interview the teams on why the choose climbing bikes over aero bikes the answer always is "the like riding it more, but the aero bike isn't heavier really."
Placebo is teh right term here I guess.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

The issue is not destroy the aero qualities of an aero bike for making it lighter is to reduce the weight of an aero bike for making it better suited for all terrain categories but maintaining its aero qualities.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

but there's a catch - I personally find "beefier" bikes more stable, more comfy, stiffer... just better. let's face it - 200-300g "extra" distributed across whole frameset is not possible to notice, ride quality on the other hand - sure as hell is. it all comes down to personal preferences though, as said weight can be saved/added in numerous ways ('nuff said these few extra slices of pizza and a glass of black bush nullifies all those milions of dollars worth of R&D)

SuperNonAero

by SuperNonAero

How is the madone in the sprint though? Weight is also a factor when you first kick off.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SuperNonAero wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:32 am
How is the madone in the sprint though? Weight is also a factor when you first kick off.
I question if that's true on a flat finish where you're launching a sprint while already traveling at 55km/h. In my last crit I our race average was 45km/h in a downpour.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com