What Tools Are In Your Seat Pack, WW?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Going a little further with my other post, "Do You Run Tubeless AND Carry a Spare Tube?", I'm wondering what the average weight weenie carries in his or her seat pack for emergency tools?

I ask because I'm trying to put my bike on a much needed diet and one thing that is coming under intense scrutiny is if I really need my Bontrager BITS multi-tool...

It weighs 50g plus a little bit for the integrated BITS holder on my bike and takes-up space in my storage compartment. While it is a slick little tool, as I look at the wrenches it includes, I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually needed any of them on any ride (and some of the bits I've never used and likely never will.) As such, I'm thinking that maybe I'd be better off just carrying 1 or 2 Allen wrenches that fit the most likely to be adjusted parts on my bike and call it a day. What would be sweeter is if there was such thing as a carbon fiber Allen wrench set, perhaps with steel tips, but I haven't found such a thing yet :shock:

So how about you? Is your seat pack stuffed to the rafters so you're ready for the Apocolypse or are you carrying the bare essentials? Have you found an uber-light weight-weenie tool kit for your bike? :?:

RNAV

by RNAV

Yeah, it's not WW at 220g. But, now that I've got some pretty expensive carbon bits, I'll pay the weight penalty to have the torque wrench in case I need to make some road-side adjustments. You could save some weight by not carrying unneeded bits, and dumping the extra ratchet extension. Fits in a jersey pocket, and I take it with me on every ride.

by Weenie

schlafen

by schlafen

1 spare tube
1 tyre lever
1 double ended 4mm and 5mm allen key
1 small pump

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

schlafen wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 am
I've never heard of such a creature... one Allen wrench with two sizes? Got a link or pic?

schlafen

by schlafen

PoorInRichfield wrote:
schlafen wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 am
I've never heard of such a creature... one Allen wrench with two sizes? Got a link or pic?
It looks like thisImage

flying

by flying

Edit: I saw tools in title & only thought of
This ProBike Multi tool
MULTITOOL-5.png
But of course I carry my spare tube & plastic tire levers some cash & a quick link in the seat pack

as well as a Pro Tool mini pump in my jersey
Last edited by flying on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Cell phone back pocket.. ziplock bag with mini pump, tire irons, 1 CO2... 1 spare tube

maxim809

by maxim809

I don't have a saddle bag. I use a tiny tool bottle in my 2nd cage.

1 tube
1 CO2
1 CO2 nozzle
1 lever
3 sheets of tiny patch kit stickers
mini pump in back pocket
2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 | 2014 Pinarello Dogma 65.1 | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Bianchi Oltre XR4 |2016 Pinarello Dogma F8

Wookski

by Wookski

Saddle bags almost always may your bike look shit. I use jersey pockets.

This is what I carry when riding tubs which is most of the time. For really long rides I might carry a preglued spare. Add a tube and levers instead of sealant when riding the devil's wheels. $100 in cash plus card and keys also included.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

Inside my Essential Case I have
1 Speedplay C-spring
1 CO2 cartridge and an adaptor
2 Fix It Sticks with 3mm, 4mm, 5mm Allen keys and Phillips #2
1 chain tool that is specific to Fix It Sticks
1 Stan's DART Tool
3 nitrile gloves, because I hate oily hands after fixing a chain drop

And I should have 1 quick link, but I haven't refilled it after the last time I used it…

I don't have a saddle bag. These are all spares I have when I'm on the road. After switching to tubeless I decided to ditch the inner tube. So far, so good. Knock wood.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

31g: 5mm allen key shortened both side and cut to obtain a flat screw driver, short 4mm key, 3mm key from a multi-tool, patch, tire lever, quick link.
Add pump (53g) and tube (44g).
So no need for a seatpack.

schlafen

by schlafen

schlafen wrote:1 spare tube
1 tyre lever
1 small pump

Nitrile gloves wrapped with the tube. Couldn't find the double ended allen, possibly lost it, bugger. For ref 2 allen keys same size.
Xlab mezzo bag, adapted for the front triangle.
Phone and gels fit in there no problem.
I pay contactless using my phone.
Hate the feeling of stuff in jersey pockets, no saddle bag as it will rub on my bibs.Image

ryanw

by ryanw

Wookski wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 am

This is what I carry when riding tubs which is most of the time. For really long rides I might carry a preglued spare. Add a tube and levers instead of sealant when riding the devil's wheels. $100 in cash plus card and keys also included.
Tidy! What pump is that? After a super light small (but decent) pump.

Wookski

by Wookski

ryanw wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:09 am
Wookski wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 am

Tidy! What pump is that? After a super light small (but decent) pump.
iPump- the 25g version. After throwing my silca pocket impero in the bin (like most silca products it was absolute rubbish) I was pretty sceptical. The iPump has been very impressive- it's quite fragile but the fact that a 25g pump can get me to 80psi in a reasonable period of time is nothing short of miraculous. Plus you don't even notice it's in your pocket.

by Weenie

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Wookski wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:56 am
iPump- the 25g version. After throwing my silca pocket impero in the bin (like most silca products it was absolute rubbish) I was pretty sceptical. The iPump has been very impressive- it's quite fragile but the fact that a 25g pump can get me to 80psi in a reasonable period of time is nothing short of miraculous. Plus you don't even notice it's in your pocket.
Took a while to find the web site: https://ipump.jp/#iPumpTwistClass

My latest bike tires only get pumped to 65 psi, so I've been on the hunt for a small pump that fits in my Trek Domane's downtube storage box... perhaps the iPump is it.

For those who have rubber gloves in their fix-it kit... I learned years ago that one reason bike shorts are typically black with black panels is that makes a good place to wipe your messy hands :P You don't see the dirt and can wash it out when you get home. (Food for thought.)