Choosing a new frame (rim brake)

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Have recently done a bit of upgrading to my 2008 Trek 1.5 and it's now sitting at a fairly respectable 6.6kg (size 56, 50mm deep wheels and aero handlebar).

I've got a milestone birthday coming up soon and so have thought that perhaps I'll treat myself to a carbon frame which should allow me to go sub 6kg along with one or 2 other upgrades (e.g EE brakes) and hopefully give me a bit more stiffness for power transfer.

The only frame I've found so far that fits most of what I am looking for is the new Factor O2 (the price of the VAM doesn't seem worth it to me).

Like: standard seatpost, direct mount brakes, decent weight, BB standard well designed for 30mm axle

Dislike: BB standard seems to have a history of creaking(?), lack of any aero features

Will definitely be sticking with my Easton EC90 SL cranks (Dura Ace groupset) so BB86 is realistically out of the question unfortunately (removing the new Giant TCR)

Pinarello F12 is pretty pricey but otherwise seems a good match.

Any suggestions on other frames?

Thanks

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Cannondale Supersix EVO Hi-MOD (older model), Canyon Ultimate, Festka, etc, etc, etc...

But, it's your milestone birthday, why not something custom, plenty of frame builders around, Sarto, Crumpton, Divo, etc, etc, etc...

by Weenie

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Basso Diamante if you can get low in front. Beautiful, outrageously stiff. Frame made in Italy.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

cveks

by cveks

Basso Diamante is great.

But I recommend Argon 18 Gallium Pro. Best climbing frame I have ever ridden.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

ND4SPD wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:51 pm
Cannondale Supersix EVO Hi-MOD (older model), Canyon Ultimate, Festka, etc, etc, etc...

But, it's your milestone birthday, why not something custom, plenty of frame builders around, Sarto, Crumpton, Divo, etc, etc, etc...
Not too keen on the Cannondale's because the BB30 is notorious for creaking and lack of any aero features on the old frame is kind of annoying.

Canyon is BB86 and not sure I'm ready for something custom quite yet but thanks for the suggestions.
wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:15 am
Basso Diamante if you can get low in front. Beautiful, outrageously stiff. Frame made in Italy.
Great shout, thanks. Actually quite like the look of the Diamante SV as well. Seems to have more aero profiling on the tube shapes and would still give me a good weight drop on my current frame. If I'm being picky, the cable routing does look pretty terrible but otherwise, seems to tick all the right boxes :D

Flexibility shouldn't be a problem, I've been riding a size 54 with a slammed stem for a lot of my commuting recently and I seem to be ok on longer rides as well, this lockdown has done wonders for my cycling (FTP as well)
cveks wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:01 am
Basso Diamante is great.

But I recommend Argon 18 Gallium Pro. Best climbing frame I have ever ridden
The Argon 18 is BB86 unfortunately. One of my dealbreakers as I have 30mm cranks and fitting to a BB86 is a real compromise.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Now I'm confused, I first I saw that the Basso had a BB386 (https://road.cc/content/review/271709-b ... v-frameset) but now am seeing everywhere else it says BB86 (https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a2 ... road-bike/)

Looks like another knocked off of my list... :x

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Pinarello F12? Bit chubby but no creaking, loose saddle or seatpost and nice internal routing if you opt for the most handlebar?

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Nejmann wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 am
Pinarello F12? Bit chubby but no creaking, loose saddle or seatpost and nice internal routing if you opt for the most handlebar?
The weight (especially with the proprietary seatpost and essentially properietary handlebar) and £5.75k (incl. handlebar) price tag kind of put me off.

kgt

by kgt

Time Alpe d'Huez. A few on sale right now.

m3lodiaa

by m3lodiaa

kgt wrote:Time Alpe d'Huez. A few on sale right now.
Omg where?

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:09 pm
Nejmann wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 am
The weight (especially with the proprietary seatpost and essentially properietary handlebar) and £5.75k (incl. handlebar) price tag kind of put me off.
It is seriously good.

+1 on the time alp d huez too

RyanH

by RyanH

Check Merlin for demo Time Alpe D'Huez on sale, I think they had a few that were 54s.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

RyanH wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:02 pm
Check Merlin for demo Time Alpe D'Huez on sale, I think they had a few that were 54s.
I realistically need a 56 unfortunately

nickf

by nickf

Cannondale calls it bb30 but it's really a pf30 system. I never had creaking with my 2015 Evo hm. I used a hawk racing bb, has plastic cups. Paired it with a red exogram crank.

by Weenie