Garmin Vector 4

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
skidrrr

by skidrrr

This is pretty much a placeholder for the 4th generation of Garmin Vector pedals that are coming soon
It seems like we can expect new cycling dynamic metrics and maybe even cx/mtb version

I'm mostly intrigued by the battery design. Is it too optimistic to expect rechargeable type-c batteries in 2020?

montee

by montee

Or too much to expect a product that doesn't typically need multiple warranty replacements - did Garmin ever sort that out with the vector 3?!

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

montee wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:17 pm
Or too much to expect a product that doesn't typically need multiple warranty replacements - did Garmin ever sort that out with the vector 3?!
they had an update kit for the v3 a few months ago which changed the battery compartment. Mine where doing good since going to the single battery, but I did the update anyways.

moyboy

by moyboy

yeah, the Vector 3's after the first battery door fix was spot on after that. The initial batch was horrible.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:28 pm

they had an update kit for the v3 a few months ago which changed the battery compartment. Mine where doing good since going to the single battery, but I did the update anyways.

Mine redeveloped the bad contact issues with the first battery door redesign. The 2nd redesign with new doors and battery boards is working great though.

groover08

by groover08

Absolutely rock solid for me with the new doors.

Shrike

by Shrike

Speedplay power meter pedals. That would be the dream. Gauges in the spindle.

Market share is too small I guess though, I'll keep dreaming.

bet1216

by bet1216

When did the new door/compartment come out? I got the first update for my wife's bike but they still suck. Dropouts galore makes riding in ERG mode on a Kickr impossible. I was ready to chuck them and get a Power2Max crank because she is tired of dealing with it. Usually love Garmin but these have been turds from day 1. Maybe there is hope. I sure hope the V4 is better designed.

EDIT UPDATE: New door/circuit board on the way.
Last edited by bet1216 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilwil

by wilwil

Just to be clear, Is this the latest upgrade kit you are referring to?
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=J ... tab=topics

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yes .. circuit board and battery

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

Shrike wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm
Speedplay power meter pedals. That would be the dream. Gauges in the spindle.

Market share is too small I guess though, I'll keep dreaming.
It's basically an open secret, that speedplay Powermeter Pedals are in the works, since wahoo bought speedplay last year.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:39 pm
It's basically an open secret, that speedplay Powermeter Pedals are in the works, since wahoo bought speedplay last year.
I wonder though if they'll license from and build upon the original technology which Garmin aquired when they bought MetriGear, seeing as the original MetriGear design was done on Speedplay spindles. Or if they'll go their own route? I figure it'd be less expensive to license the technology in the long run since many a company has spent crazy money trying to get their powermeter the last 5% across the finish line. Why reinvent the wheel when someone did the hard work on your platform for you beforehand?

Is it as profitable as if they owned all the tech and patents? No. But it would get a product to market faster and into the hands of die-hard customers who have been waiting for it. Wahoo makes money selling the product, Garmin makes money from a bigger user base. Everyone makes money... or is it not as good as if someone makes all of the money alone?

I say all of this as someone who has no horse in the race. I am quite happy on my P2M and would actually be much more excited if they released a Vector 4 on Shimano SPD-SL or Time Xpro platforms than Speedplay. It just seems like the logical play here.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I doubt Wahoo would want to license Garmin IP or that Garmin would grant them reasonable terms.

Reminder that Wahoo isn’t a stranger to developing power meters, the first generation KICKR used actual strain gauges. What I am fairly certain of is that Speedplay power meter pedals would likely have visible pods like Assiomas. They've managed to reduce electronics packages a lot in the past few years, but battery tech is pretty stagnant.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikedb

by Mikedb

Conza

by Conza

Shimano SPD compatibility please! lol.

Keen to see Vector 4 updates/improvements. Also, Favero Assimo's - whats next.
It's all about the adventure :o .

by Weenie