Clean aerobar setup for Tarmac SL6

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Shrike

by Shrike

Go with Aerofly II and stem or are there better options?

by Weenie

rlanger

by rlanger

There are certainly lighter options, especially for that stem, which is pretty heavy. I paired the Aerofly with a Deda Superzero, which is quite a bit lighter than the S-Works stem, and its angular lines pair very nicely with the Aerofly.

Also, I removed the graphics from it, which gives the cockpit a very nice stealthy look. If you click on the link in my signature and scroll down the first page, you'll see a pic of the cockpit.

The bar is pretty amazing IMO. Very stiff, and I really love the overall feel, but that of course is just personal preference.

matt22

by matt22

I thought the deda superzero was 140g for a 110 mm stem vs 115 gm for the s-works stem. Are the weights reported wrong?

I have the S-works stem (to be installled, currently on zipp sl) + aerofly 2 setup on the tarmac, and it is fine! the cabling with di2/axs is quite clean.

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

Hi,
I have the Aerofly II + S-Works stem on my SL6 and I am pretty happy with it (stiffness to weight, integration with the bike).
My weights were 132g for stem (120 mm) and 210 g for aerobar (400 mm width).
Be careful with GPS mounting, I had to file the inside of my k-edge XL to fit it on the round part of the Aerofly.
Attachments
c3acda7f-78ab-45dc-92e2-5829624c1cb2_20200508_123909.jpg
eaa86a83-8aa3-4f88-b6f0-52abf8acbab5_20200508_123929.jpg

HaroldC

by HaroldC

I'm on the same setup as IanisCercariolo on my Allez and love it. The Aerofly II is better than the original when resting your hands/palm on the top because of the grip. I didn't have a chance to weight the 120mm stem, but it's probably close to what he weighed it at. Fairly clean install, especially with eTap or di2.

If you really want a clean install, you could drill a hole in the bar and steerer tube and run the cables internally. I would not recommend that, but it's a clean install. :lol:

sigma

by sigma

Shrike wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:05 am
Go with Aerofly II and stem or are there better options?
I am using a zip aero bar with mcfk stem. Very stiff overall setup. I am thinking about moving to the aerofly mostly because I find the sharp back edges of the zipp just a bit uncomfortable on long climbs.
S-works Tarmac SL6
S-Works Venge
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod 2016 (miss it very much)
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Thinking of going aerofly 2 myself on a Scott foil, so interesting to see this thread.
IanisCercariolo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:16 pm
Hi,
I have the Aerofly II + S-Works stem on my SL6 and I am pretty happy with it (stiffness to weight, integration with the bike).
Be careful with GPS mounting, I had to file the inside of my k-edge XL to fit it on the round part of the Aerofly.
What's going on with the bar tape there? I thought the aerofly had a sort of indented section for the bar tape, usually look incredibly clean.
Specialized Allez 2013
Scott Foil Disc 2019

Visqu

by Visqu

I find the Aerofly II unsuitable for applications where another integral part of the cockpit fails to provide sufficient strain relief for the cables/hoses.

The cable exits at the back of the wing force cabling to be drawn perpendicularly against the stem and contacting it, this in turn presses the cable against the relatively sharp edge of the exit hole. A remotely possible failure point due to vibration induced rub.

Sure, you can add electrical tape and whatever to shield the cables but it'll never be clean as the cables are slightly convoluted near the stem.

For non-integrated cabling, the exits should be on the underside of the wing, as on the Zipp SL70 Aero for example.

Yeah, I had the Aerofly II :)

Edit. Some stems might be slim enough to avert this issue.
Last edited by Visqu on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Aerofly 2 bars and the S-Works Stem for me too.
Again had the issue with the K-Edge mount so got a stem faceplate one instead.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

scale29

by scale29

BenScott144 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 pm
Thinking of going aerofly 2 myself on a Scott foil, so interesting to see this thread.
IanisCercariolo wrote:
Hi,
What's going on with the bar tape there? I thought the aerofly had a sort of indented section for the bar tape, usually look incredibly clean.
I think the tape has been finished too early, I'd have had another wrap or two before applying the finishing tap.

sychen

by sychen

Also aerofly2 +SWorks stem user here.
Garmin and fly12 mounted using F3 form mount. Cateye microbell for legal reqs.

Cabling could be better with the exit ports designed for the Venge stem but I need to cleanup the cabling as well. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

rlanger

by rlanger

matt22 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:19 pm
I thought the deda superzero was 140g for a 110 mm stem vs 115 gm for the s-works stem. Are the weights reported wrong?

I have the S-works stem (to be installled, currently on zipp sl) + aerofly 2 setup on the tarmac, and it is fine! the cabling with di2/axs is quite clean.
My bad. I was thinking he meant the Venge stem, which is considerably heavier than both the S-Works and Deda stems.

I'm not a huge fan of the look of the S-Works stem paired with the Aerofly though. The shape and finish don't do it for me. But the Deda stem looks made for the Aerofly IMO.

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

scale29 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:58 pm
BenScott144 wrote:
IanisCercariolo wrote:
Hi,
I think the tape has been finished too early, I'd have had another wrap or two before applying the finishing tap.
The cleanest setups are wrapped from top to bar end.

In this case I didn't want to overlap the dimpled part with the finishing tape (because of the gap, the fit was not firm enough. I felt that the tape would slip with time) hence why I did it this way.

Although, I would definitely like to find a cleaner way to wrap it !

by Weenie

SamD

by SamD

IanisCercariolo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:02 pm
scale29 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:58 pm
BenScott144 wrote:
IanisCercariolo wrote:
Hi,
The cleanest setups are wrapped from top to bar end.

In this case I didn't want to overlap the dimpled part with the finishing tape (because of the gap, the fit was not firm enough. I felt that the tape would slip with time) hence why I did it this way.

Although, I would definitely like to find a cleaner way to wrap it !
My LBS wraps the other way around. They start their tape next to the dimpled section and wrap down from there. Clean and no tape needed!