1x Campy drivetrain coming

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Wingnut

by Wingnut

XCProMD wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:44 pm
I think it is going to be 12 speeds, the new thing for Campag is the freehub body allowing sporckets smaller than 11 T. Unfortunately this means our old freehub bodies dating back to the 1996 9 s standard will no longer be compatible. But as it looks today, the new freehibs will be compatible with most high end "previous art" hubs, so the upgrade could be not that expensive.
My understanding from reading articles is that the 10t cog is not panning out to be as useful on road as SRAM had hoped, particularly by the Pro's?

Gravel maybe different though...

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Lucky 13.

I think the 1x setups have a better chain line for that 10. For 2x it's definitely an issue for some.

by Weenie

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Wingnut wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 am
XCProMD wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:44 pm
I think it is going to be 12 speeds, the new thing for Campag is the freehub body allowing sporckets smaller than 11 T. Unfortunately this means our old freehub bodies dating back to the 1996 9 s standard will no longer be compatible. But as it looks today, the new freehibs will be compatible with most high end "previous art" hubs, so the upgrade could be not that expensive.
My understanding from reading articles is that the 10t cog is not panning out to be as useful on road as SRAM had hoped, particularly by the Pro's?

Gravel maybe different though...
this looks to be gravel related, definitely. At least directed towards a range differential north of 400% as mentioned in the patent. The patent mentions also a trasnsmission with only one front chainring, although in the usual patent blabbery all this is not exclusive.

Then there's this:
1.png
They have registered a patent for a RD that follows the profile of a wide range cassette. Very 1989 if you know what I mean :)

XCProMD

by XCProMD

1.png

gorkypl

by gorkypl

What's this?
Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s

XCProMD

by XCProMD

A wide-narrow chainring structurally optimized for the cyclical stress distribution it will bear under pedalling.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

XCProMD wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:43 pm
A wide-narrow chainring structurally optimized for the cyclical stress distribution it will bear under pedalling.
This is another Campy drawing? I can't wait to see the new derailleur!!

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Yes, RD would be a big thing - I assume capacity will be OK, but I'm very curious about the profile - current ones are quite bulky and therefore easy to damage in gravel riding.
In other thread graeme also suggested that an update to hydraulic brakes is in the making - apparently they were not exactly happy with coopoeration with Magura.
Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s

XCProMD

by XCProMD

The cooperation with Magura is fine and will follow, it’s just that Campagnolo has some new ideas to further improve the hydraulics and also the mechanical part of the disc systems. As every other make, of course.

One thing in prototype stage is a splined connection between disc and hub with variable distance from the hub flange. That would make for a similar effect to shimming the disc, insofar as by rotating the disc on the splines at the time of installing it would move it inboard or outboard by some tenths of a mm.

Another thing in the pipe that might or might not make it to market is a lock of the hydraulic system that would avoid the levers to be pushed when the wheels are not in place. Also, a new type of quick connector to avoid bleeding when having to remove the hoses.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

corky

by corky

They seem like good ideas although the spline shimming thing seems like a bit of a bodge when it's the piston/pad adjustment that is really required....

XCProMD

by XCProMD

What they're after in this case is having the disc equally distanced in different sets of wheels and regardless of potential preload adjustments taht might slightly shift the axle. But, as I said, no clue if they will actually market it.

corky

by corky

Ah yeah, that makes sense, so rapid wheelchanges for the peloton, and a convenient setup for people with multiple wheel choices.

g00se

by g00se

cubixthe wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:00 pm
Unniti wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:28 pm
corky wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 pm
Wireless will not happen until the SRAM patent on batteries on derailleurs runs out. At best you will get wireless controls but the derailleurs have to be powered from a wired battery.
Have integrated batteries in the derailleurs and boom you've dodged the SRAM patent on how to attach batteries to derailleurs.
Was going to suggest the same thing. Just do integrated, a little more pain in the ass with charging but if it's serviceable by Campagnolo (battery replacement in the future) why not! Would be something truly amazing :)
Their wireless battery patents seem to have been concentrating on having the batteries on the mech cages and conncting rods, rather than the support body - that may be the way around the SRAM patents.

See: https://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat10239579.pdf

The biggest issue they have (I can't recall the source but I think it was a tech podcast) is that current battery capacity means it has to be put into some form of low-power/sleep until a shift is needed. The wake up process means a wireless shift is always slower than a wired/mechanical shift. It was said they won't release a wireless setup until battery tech improves enough so that they can remain always-on.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Spot on there. On the other hand they have two different patents on how to wake up the system reducing the delay to a minimum.

The interesting thing about how Campag deals with patents is that they usually file the first idea to be prototyped in order to block that way to competitors, then they at least file at least an improvement over the original idea as a different patent. In some cases there’s 3 or 4 different patents on the same idea, some of them being dead ends that never make it into a product.

On the above, they have three different cage clutches patented, and also a very shallow slant parallelogram very much like Sram’s X-Horizon (or the latest 12s Shimano MTB RD’s)

Bottom line a lot going on, but also depending on the new Romanian factory that is below schedule due to the pandemic.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

BigPoser

by BigPoser

It's gonna be good!

by Weenie