1x Campy drivetrain coming

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
DaveS

by DaveS

gwerziou wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 pm
Hey DaveS, does that mean the Chorus rear derailleur is just fine with a 36 tooth rear cog?
The guaranteed wrap capacity is only 39T and my setup has 42. I had to increase the chain length by 1 inch over the normal Campy recommendation of 54 inches for 405 to 409mm chains stays. The chain is loose with the little ring and smallest two sprockets.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

New article about Ekar with detailed analysis of the cassettes:
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/patent- ... cassettes/

by Weenie

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Welcome to 2019, Cycletips!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Nah, this is actually the recent patent, from Jul 2020, so it is not a mis-shot.
I think the true meaning is that they already have the working groupset available for testing. Otherwise they would not speculate over some (one of many) patent.
Remember there is a patent for changing gears using gloves with electronic sensors - many things are patented that do not make it into production.
Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I was -partly- joking, because that patent has been published in Italy in October last year if memory serves me well (registered in January). It is also part of a group of patents that cover some other aspects, not only jumps and gear ratios. There's a world out there, outside USA..
SnipImage.JPG

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Apologies, double post.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

XCProMD wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:13 pm
I was -partly- joking, because that patent has been published in Italy in October last year if memory serves me well (registered in January). It is also part of a group of patents that cover some other aspects, not only jumps and gear ratios. There's a world out there, outside USA..
Obviously there is indeed a much larger world out there - of cycling enthusiasts who don't search the internet for obscure patent filings. This vast majority instead just looks to news media to not only find interesting patents but to also offer detailed analysis of what they mean, as the Cycling Tips web site does here. Kudos to CyclingTips!

Now I'd like to read an article about the Ekar derailleur, even just a patent with drawings. Let's see it!

Prawn

by Prawn

I wonder if Ekar will be attractive for road use. 9-36 cassette with a 40 tooth chainring gives near-identical range to compact chainrings with an 11-32 cassette. 9 teeth and a wide chain angle sounds like a marginal proposition in terms of friction, but I would rarely be in that gear.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Same range but bigger jumps, depends on your riding preferences as to whether that is viable for road use
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti, Parlee, Donhou, Various others

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Prawn wrote:I wonder if Ekar will be attractive for road use. 9-36 cassette with a 40 tooth chainring gives near-identical range to compact chainrings with an 11-32 cassette. 9 teeth and a wide chain angle sounds like a marginal proposition in terms of friction, but I would rarely be in that gear.
The Ekar derailleur deals better with extreme chain angles. Still it depends if having all those jumps close or above 10% at the tall end of the cassette bothers you or not.

Marin

by Marin

38 / 9-32 11s works really well, I use this as as my fast road setup every day.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Hey I wanted to see the Ekar derailleur and here's some news on that front: https://bikerumor.com/2020/08/20/patent ... tons-more/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Prawn wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:57 pm
I wonder if Ekar will be attractive for road use. 9-36 cassette with a 40 tooth chainring gives near-identical range to compact chainrings with an 11-32 cassette. 9 teeth and a wide chain angle sounds like a marginal proposition in terms of friction, but I would rarely be in that gear.
Tried already with a leonardo 11 speed cassette. It worked well but the 9th sprocket did not last long.

Sprocket wear in the small sprockets is ab issue forcing the use of larger chainrings. Not everyone spins at 90 rpm.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

gwerziou wrote:Hey I wanted to see the Ekar derailleur and here's some news on that front: https://bikerumor.com/2020/08/20/patent ... tons-more/
Ekar RD is different from that one, actually that patent is only relevant for double chainring transmissions. The cassette profile will be followed with a different trick.

by Weenie

gwerziou

by gwerziou

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:50 pm
gwerziou wrote:Hey I wanted to see the Ekar derailleur and here's some news on that front: https://bikerumor.com/2020/08/20/patent ... tons-more/
Ekar RD is different from that one, actually that patent is only relevant for double chainring transmissions. The cassette profile will be followed with a different trick.

I imagine that you are under embargo from sharing more detailed information. Your contributions here have been stellar! I guess it's only a month away.