SRAM AXS 12 Speed Red or Force Reliability - Poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Have you had issues?

My AXS 12 speed works flawlessly.
50%
I have had some issues with shifting, including messy shifts or dropped chains.
33%
I have constant issues with shifting and chain drops.
10%
I have had multiple warranty claims because of issues.
6%

Total votes: 135

XCProMD

by XCProMD

So far I have had 2 bikes on 11s eTap and have another couple now on Red AXS. Yes the FD is fiddly but once set up everything is working fine.

I have to say I bought the first Red out of curiosity but it has really grown on me. The 12 s version is brilliant.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

So the debate continues with those of us with no problems and others with many. One difference for me is no sram cranks - Campy chorus or Shimano grx both shift perfectly. I've been using force as on two bikes since last July. No problems of any sort. I'm switching one bike from a 46/30 to a 48/31 today. Wish me luck with setup #8.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

I have red AXS 2x on two bikes 1. Aspero 2. Caledonia-5. Aspero front derailleur was much more fiddly and dropped several times. Caledonia hasn't dropped once. Haven't taken the Aspero out in a little bit, so not sure if still doing it. It didn't the last few rides. Rear shifting is good and fine on both. Brakes are good and fine. Sometimes a little rotor rub from a little sticky pistons. But nothing out of the ordinary. I had 11S Red Etap rim and disc and I still think the front shifting was better on 11s, while the rear is likely a bit better on AXS.

fa63

by fa63

I have found that the performance of the SRAM AXS front derailleurs is very sensitive to using the correct support wedge. I have fixed several customers' shifting issues by switching out the wedge for the correct one.

gSporco

by gSporco

So, I obviously enjoy torturing myself and my poor bike.. For the record, I actually like Sram, I pretty much own or have owned all of the AXS line from road to MTB with the exception of Rival AXS (haven't tried it)

My escapades are well documented in my front derailleur thread that I started. Long story short, on my Aspero, with Force AXS 2x I could never get it right.. I had both inside and outside chain drops. The last straw was when an inside chain drop jammed in between the inner ring and the frame leaving me stranded. I pulled the crank and there went the new paint job! So I pulled it off and went back to the trusty 1x setup.

Fast forward to this season.. I picked up a Red AXS kit and thought Id give 2x a shot again. Well with the FD setup tool it was a breeze and a little limit adjustment to get the cage gap right and I was off.. But this time I was prepared.. I put a K edge chain guide thingy on the inside. Road it several times, put about 200 miles and had 1 chain drop on the outside. Adjusted the limit just a hair using a 1mm feeler gauge and no more chain drops.. UNTILLLLLL

Last nights ride, all was well, then I was entering my last climb of the day dropped into the inner ring and CRUNCHHHH.. F*&CKING jammed on the inside again..

So I am officially done with Sram AXS 1x, my frame cant take the abuse anymore.
This all being said, I really do think they have a great product. Its quite possible my issues are with my ASpero either having a misaligned bottom bracket or FD hanger that is tweaked.. But all I can say is I had it dialed in perfectly, but no dice..

I just cant wait for the new 10-40ish Sram EXPLR cassettes to come out as that will solve my big climbing needs so I dont have to use the Eagle 10-50 dinner plate cassette
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

DaveS

by DaveS

I finished installing a 48/31 grx crank on my second bike this morning. Works great, no special tool used. Also, I never use a wedge.

justonwo

by justonwo

DaveS wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm
I finished installing a 48/31 grx crank on my second bike this morning. Works great, no special tool used. Also, I never use a wedge.
Are you using the Red of Force FD? How many miles do you have on the FD?
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

DaveS

by DaveS

I have two force FDs. Both work flawlessly. I ride over 5,000 miles per year, but it's split between two bikes. FDs in use since last July. My drivetrains are the most quiet and trouble free I've ever had, after 25 years on Campy mechanical.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

woodyvalentine wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:27 pm
I have red AXS 2x on two bikes 1. Aspero 2. Caledonia-5. Aspero front derailleur was much more fiddly and dropped several times. Caledonia hasn't dropped once. Haven't taken the Aspero out in a little bit, so not sure if still doing it. It didn't the last few rides. Rear shifting is good and fine on both. Brakes are good and fine. Sometimes a little rotor rub from a little sticky pistons. But nothing out of the ordinary. I had 11S Red Etap rim and disc and I still think the front shifting was better on 11s, while the rear is likely a bit better on AXS.
Hi there - off topic but interested in the Aspero vs Caledonia comparison. I am interested in an all round bike that can do gravel too. Aspero obviously will be better on gravel. What i am wondering though is if i set it up as a road bike with 28mm tyres how much does the Apsero give up to the Caledonia. Appreciate your comments abd experience if you could share.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

If you can only pick one, pick which you will use it more on. If more off road/trails/gravel then get aspero. If more road with a touch of gravel the Caledonia. It comes down to geo and such. Both are good bikes. I currently have 25mm corsas on the Caledonia. Haven't taken it on much gravel. Lots of rough stuff in Toronto though. Aspero I haven't ridden much in trails but is fine on gravel and road. Have used /36mm challenge gravel grinders and 30mm strada tires. There's also the Aspero-5 that just came out to consider which has internal cables using the same stem as Caledonia-5. I really like the Caledonia. Only have a few hundred km on the Aspero and a touch more on Caledonia. Both with red AXS. There's also the new R5 that will likely come out within the next 12 months to consider.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I bought a Supersix EVO Force that will be pulling double duty as a gravel and a road bike. Initially the front derailleur seemed to work OK. Has a couple of outboard drops. Which is irritating. Now, all of a sudden, it struggles mightily to shift to the big ring. I took it to my LBS and the mechanic worked on it for 30 minutes and couldn't get it any better. He said that if they have to do a warranty claim the process might take months. I've had the bike for two whole weeks. I am a loyal SRAM user, but this is complete BS. I have a gravel event next Sunday that I guess I'll be riding a 1x 35, 11-33 11 speed set up because my front derailleur doesn't work.

gSporco

by gSporco

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:28 pm
I bought a Supersix EVO Force that will be pulling double duty as a gravel and a road bike. Initially the front derailleur seemed to work OK. Has a couple of outboard drops. Which is irritating. Now, all of a sudden, it struggles mightily to shift to the big ring. I took it to my LBS and the mechanic worked on it for 30 minutes and couldn't get it any better. He said that if they have to do a warranty claim the process might take months. I've had the bike for two whole weeks. I am a loyal SRAM user, but this is complete BS. I have a gravel event next Sunday that I guess I'll be riding a 1x 35, 11-33 11 speed set up because my front derailleur doesn't work.
I feel your pain and so does my bikes paint job. I know others have had success and obviously grand tour riders aren't having as many failures as reported here.

After 3 attempts from mine I came to the following "possible" issues with my setup that i cant verify:
1. BB isnt aligned and puts the CR at an angle
2. My braze on mount isnt aliged right

I honestly can't figure out why I cant get mine to work. Ive have 5 great rides and nearly 400 miles of my latest Red AXS 2x test before I suffered a catastrophic inside chain drop that required removing the crank to free the chain (was using a K-edge catcher.

So for now its back to 1x on the Aspero

My last and final test will be to try the Red AXS 2x on my 3T strada, but I'm scared to scratch the paint (Ill tape the shit out of it just incase).
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

gSporco wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:28 pm
I feel your pain and so does my bikes paint job. I know others have had success and obviously grand tour riders aren't having as many failures as reported here.

After 3 attempts from mine I came to the following "possible" issues with my setup that i cant verify:
1. BB isnt aligned and puts the CR at an angle
2. My braze on mount isnt aliged right

I honestly can't figure out why I cant get mine to work. Ive have 5 great rides and nearly 400 miles of my latest Red AXS 2x test before I suffered a catastrophic inside chain drop that required removing the crank to free the chain (was using a K-edge catcher.

So for now its back to 1x on the Aspero

My last and final test will be to try the Red AXS 2x on my 3T strada, but I'm scared to scratch the paint (Ill tape the shit out of it just incase).
Thanks, man. I feel like I'll have to go through the warranty process, but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to trust the front shifting again. I don't want to shell out $900 for an XX1 1x setup. Thinking about a Garbaruk derailleur cage and 10-50 cassette with a 46t on the front.

Has anybody tried a 1x setup for general road use and racing? I don't need to race down hills any more, thankfully, so the top end isn't a real issue, but I do worry about the large mid cassette jumps and finding the right chain line. I rode a friend's 1x XX1 mullet once (with a 42t oval Garbaruk chainring in the front and a e13 9-46t in the back) and the shifting was meh (noisy and struggled to get into the 9t) on either end of the cassette. Don't know whether this was a problem with the cassette or a reflection of 1x setups.

gSporco

by gSporco

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:10 pm

Thanks, man. I feel like I'll have to go through the warranty process, but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to trust the front shifting again. I don't want to shell out $900 for an XX1 1x setup. Thinking about a Garbaruk derailleur cage and 10-50 cassette with a 46t on the front.

Has anybody tried a 1x setup for general road use and racing? I don't need to race down hills any more, thankfully, so the top end isn't a real issue, but I do worry about the large mid cassette jumps and finding the right chain line. I rode a friend's 1x XX1 mullet once (with a 42t oval Garbaruk chainring in the front and a e13 9-46t in the back) and the shifting was meh (noisy and struggled to get into the 9t) on either end of the cassette. Don't know whether this was a problem with the cassette or a reflection of 1x setups.
Im sure others will chime in, but Ive riden 1x more than 2x in my life time and I prefer 1x. Sram AXS any model 1x has been beyone flawless for me in the last 2 years of use. The only reason I try 2x no and again is because I feel weird with a dinner plate out back on road rides, but thats my insecurity and Ill get over. Plus Sram will be releasing EXPLR soon which will bring cassettes in the 40's.

Ok so, 1x with a 10-33 or 10-36 is amazing, 5 to 4 single tooth jumps amd all is well in keeping a smooth cadence. Tricky part is mating the right CR for your rides. The more you lean towards climbing the more top end you lose obviously, but I dont race and dont care about pedaling 35mph.

For more off-road stuff aka gravel, Eagle AXS mullois super sweet. 46 by 10/50 will give you everything you need. You just need to get used to the 2 to 3 to 4 tooth jumps. Its not the emd of the world, you will get used to it afyer 3 rides.

E13, love hate relationship with this. Ive had the 9-50 and currently using the 9-46. I would stay away, TBH, they are noisy and can get crunchy in the 9t. I think my 9-46 is a gen 1 cassette not and its a pain to get in and out of the 9t. The middle of the cassette is okay, sometimes jumpy.

Long story short, ill be eagerly waiting for the new EXPLR line of cassettes. This should solve my constant tinkering. 1 bike, 2 wheelsets a 10-40 on raod wheels and 10-44 on the gravel wheels and ill be a happy camper
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomato

by tomato

gSporco wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:34 pm
I'm sure others will chime in, but Ive riden 1x more than 2x in my life time ...
Just out of curiosity ... since 1x is a relatively newer phenomenum, how have you racked up more 1x hours?