J&L Aftermarket Speedplay Spindle Experience?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justonwo

by justonwo

mogwaiboi wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:50 am
They sent a spacer? That's really odd. I ordered a 56 mm yesterday. Hopefully, it'll be the same length as the 56 mm that I got from Speedplay. For me, a spacer wouldn't be acceptable.

Hopefully yours are the actual length as you say, I'll be curious to know!
Yeah, I made sure he isn't sending a spacer. That's not going to fly. He said he just makes them 3 mm longer than the 53 mm pedal he has. Should be good if he's a decent machinist.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

justonwo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:29 pm
mogwaiboi wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:50 am
They sent a spacer? That's really odd. I ordered a 56 mm yesterday. Hopefully, it'll be the same length as the 56 mm that I got from Speedplay. For me, a spacer wouldn't be acceptable.

Hopefully yours are the actual length as you say, I'll be curious to know!
Yeah, I made sure he isn't sending a spacer. That's not going to fly. He said he just makes them 3 mm longer than the 53 mm pedal he has. Should be good if he's a decent machinist.
Good to know, thanks for that. I'll try and replace mine with proper length versions at some point then.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

justonwo

by justonwo

Oy, terrible experience with eBay buying J&L. I asked them specifically if the longer spindles had a spacer and he said "no." I get the spindles today and, surprise, after a 4 week wait from China they have . . . wait for it . . . spacers. What's more, the spindles are totally different. They are machined differently and have differnt shapes at different points in the spindle. The seller told me he does it that way so you can tell the right from the left. What?? The threading on the spindle dictactes right/left.

2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Nickldn

by Nickldn

justonwo wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:31 am
Oy, terrible experience with eBay buying J&L. I asked them specifically if the longer spindles had a spacer and he said "no." I get the spindles today and, surprise, after a 4 week wait from China they have . . . wait for it . . . spacers. What's more, the spindles are totally different. They are machined differently and have differnt shapes at different points in the spindle. The seller told me he does it that way so you can tell the right from the left. What?? The threading on the spindle dictactes right/left.

Yikes! That looks soo odd.

They may both work fine of course, but do they actually fit inside without rubbing?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I have 3 sets of Speedplay Zero pedals all with J&L titanium spindles, bowties and screws.

I've had some issues with the bowties, some were significantly thicker than the original one - no problem though as the eBay seller just sent me a new set of bowties.

I've also had some issues with the ti screws for the bowties, some were too long and required shortening. The titanium is super hard and filing the screws down to the right lenght took forever.

I've never had any issue with the spindles though. :)

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

I'm also using spindles by J&L but they are of standard length. No problems after years of riding. But if it were me I won't tolerate the seller saying 'no spacers' then proceed to ship ones with spacers though…

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

In my experience, the problem is the spacers are prone to deform if not sitting in the small recess of the crank properly when tightened.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

scico

by scico

Do you have other pictures of J&L spindles not mounted?

scico

by scico

Wich original spindles did you replace? Cr-mo or steel?

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

My experience with the J&L spindle was not good. I ordered two sets of spindles. I own 3 sets of Speedplay Zero pedals and intalling the J&L 53/56 or 59/62 spindles resulted in very tight bearings on all of them. The pedals could barely turn.

Below is my analysis of the manufacturing defect found in the J&L spindles:
On the J&L spindles, the outer shelf is ~4.45mm long and the inner shelf is ~3.85mm.
On the original Speedplay spindles, these measurements are ~4.75mm and ~4.10mm.
When the screw is appropriately tightened, the inner race of the inner bearing (137) will press on the seals of the outer bearing (136) with the J&L spindles.

The eBay seller claimed that this could be fixed with a different screw. His solution did not makes sense and I asked to return the spindles. As luck would have it, the package got lost somewhere along the way and I did not receive any refund.

I have used Ward/TiSpindles in the past and the Speedplay spindles worked fine.

Algreen

by Algreen

It speedplay, but similar experience with ti spindles for Time RXS pedals. Axle design was such that I couldn't insert the spindle back into the pedal body without interference. Impossible design and they wouldn't take a return for an unusable product. Other J&L products (thru axles and headset) been good.

alasamerlin

by alasamerlin

I have three set of JL ti spindle, one regular, and two 59mm,
no problems, easy to switch, bought from Ebay

alasamerlin

by alasamerlin

I have three set of JL ti spindle, one regular, and two 59mm,
no problems, easy to switch, bought from Ebay

hannawald

by hannawald

FuelForThought wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:03 am
My experience with the J&L spindle was not good. I ordered two sets of spindles. I own 3 sets of Speedplay Zero pedals and intalling the J&L 53/56 or 59/62 spindles resulted in very tight bearings on all of them. The pedals could barely turn.
I thought it's normal that Speedplay pedals don't turn because of thick grease..so with different spindles than J&L they turn freely like Shimanos?

ms6073

by ms6073

Based on experience with the wife's Speedplay Zero's with stock and currently aftermwark Ward Ti spindles, as well as a new set of Wahoo Zero pedals, none of them have ever spun freely like Shimano DA/Ul road pedals.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com