Help for headset bearings litespeed vortex 2004/05

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gipogipo

by gipogipo

Hello,
i need to replace the headset bearings of my litespeed vortex 05, with integrated cane-creek headset beacuse i feel a strange rocking when going downhill on rough surfaces or when i "hammer" with the front wheel on the ground.
Has anybody already gone trough the process and knows which are the bearings numbers, and if i am going to need "special tools"?
Thanks!

joejack951

by joejack951

Before you go replacing anything, try adjusting the bearing preload first. Headsets can develop play overtime and even if it is due to some small amount of wear it does not mean the headset is toast.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

gipogipo wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:49 pm
Has anybody already gone trough the process and knows which are the bearings numbers, and if i am going to need "special tools"?
I'd just take the fork out. It takes 5 minute. You can see if the bearings just fall out or if they are pressed in. If they fall out, clean them, measure, take pics, note any numbers, grease them and put them back.

evidence120

by evidence120

I have a 2002/03 Vortex that I am currently rebuilding. When I took it apart it had TH Industries 873 36x45 1-1/8" bearings in top and bottom of the intergrated Cane Creek headset. These were drop in and not press fit. The bike had been laying against a garage in the elements for about 7 years left by a previous homeowner so I do not know if they are original bearings or not. During this era Litespeed made the frame compatible with both Cane Creek 36/45 and Campagnola 45/45 standards but I do not know enough to understand what that means exactly. I didn't need to replace these as they still had smooth movement after cleaning and lube. See attached the image of my frame decals. I hope this is helpful. What is the weight of your Vortex built up?
vortex.jpg

Darwindan

by Darwindan

I own a Litespeed Vortex identical to yours, just a larger size. Headset bearings need changing every 3 or 4 years. Any quality 1 1/8 36-45 quality bearing will do. I have used Cane Creek and FSA bearings. Both work well. 10 minutes to change. Old bearings dry up and are not worth saving as a good replacement set is cheap to replace.

gipogipo

by gipogipo

Sorry for my very late reply: thanks for your advice: I have an integrated cane creek is6 headset, but I can't find hints about the correct size of bearings, only that they are 36/45 degrees.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Most bearings are generally marked on the seals as to what size they are once you have them out.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc