Fizik Antares Versus EVO 00 Adaptive Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:08 pm
Has anyone found a video explaining why 3D printed saddle are seemingly so comfortable?

It's instantly obvious to me why manufacturers benefit from 3D printing a saddle as they can create prototypes quickly and someday we might even be able to custom-order a saddle that's made for our own butt. However, I'm baffled as to why the 3D printed lattice structure is somehow radically superior to the existing foam saddles. One's butt won't know the difference between foam and 3D printing, so why are so many people finding this saddle so comfortable?

One theory is that riders that spend $400 on a saddle are typically buying a super light weight saddle with nearly no padding. For that person, switching to a saddle that weighs nearly the same as their nearly padless race saddle but has considerable padding might seem heavenly in terms of comfort.

A second theory is that the 3D lattice structure (for lack of a better term) allows for movement in all directions (X-axis, Y-axis, Z-axis) where as perhaps a normal foam saddle is restricted in the directions that the foam can move and hence less comfort?

My brain hurts... I'm thinking too hard on Sunday morning... :?
The manufacturers say that it is because much better possibilities to tune the characteristics of the saddle in different parts of the saddle. With foam you can typically made couple of zones with stiffer/softer qualities but with 3d printing you can do it better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:35 pm
I'd also be interested in knowing what saddle you guys/gals were riding before you got the 00. I'm currently riding a Fizik Antares R1 which is a tad lighter than the 00 by has a slightly different shape. I'm wondering if my posterior would like a saddle with a cut-out that's 3D printed as my posterior has rejected other saddles with cut-outs :-/
Had many saddles...but towards the most recent, Fizik Arione 00 on all my current bikes. Only recently swapped out one Arione 00 to Fizik Adaptive on LS.
Before then,
Berk Lupina
S-Works Power
Tune
Fizik Antares 00
MCFK no padding
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

kode54 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:45 pm
PoorInRichfield wrote:
I'd also be interested in knowing what saddle you guys/gals were riding before you got the 00. I'm currently riding a Fizik Antares R1 which is a tad lighter than the 00 by has a slightly different shape. I'm wondering if my posterior would like a saddle with a cut-out that's 3D printed as my posterior has rejected other saddles with cut-outs :-/
Had many saddles...but towards the most recent, Fizik Arione 00 on all my current bikes. Only recently swapped out one Arione 00 to Fizik Adaptive on LS.
Before then,
(forgot) Fizik Arione Versus 00 with cut out...which I thought I would like since I was riding primarily on Arione 00.
Berk Lupina
S-Works Power
Tune
Fizik Antares 00
MCFK no padding
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Before then,
(forgot) Fizik Arione Versus 00 with cut out...which I thought I would like since I was riding primarily on Arione 00.
Berk Lupina
S-Works Power
Tune
Fizik Antares 00
MCFK no padding
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sychen

by sychen

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Heres my saddle list in no particular order
Fizik : Arione/Antares both R1 from before they had two sizes or cutouts.
Specialized: Phenom (very old version), Power (s-works, elaston), Romin (Sworks), Romin Evo (Pro), Toupe (Sworks)
SMP: Lite / 209
Selle Italia : SP01 Boost and regular
Berk Lupina Padded Round rail and Non padded Oval Rail.

Now my Tarmac has the Adaptive 00.. with SP01 Boost as second choice (Berk Lupina is great but too fiddly with the rails not playing nice with Tarmac clamps)
I can go through issues with each one (from my arsepective... ya ya back to reddit for my lame puns) if anyone is interested.

To me there are two types of saddles.. one with flex and compliance built into the shell (Berk and SP01) or one built into the support padding with a solid base(00 Adaptive). Both have pros and cons.. and yet to find a saddle that i'm truely happy with. Lupina is probably the closest but the rails just dont work well with my current seat clamps. I'm hoping the 00 Adaptive can be that saddle as I liked the general shape of the OG Antares at the sitbones (and doesn't irritate the tendon/nerve) but had issues down the middle (and never got around to Versus versions before this).

sychen

by sychen

realised at the end of my 3rd ride that in my haste, forgot to reset the saddle height.. and the stack on this saddle is much more than the SP01s.
No wonder i was feeling the stiffness so much and getting a bit of inside knee ache.

Set the height properly today and it just disappeared during my ride today... So far so good!

cajer

by cajer

I'm currently running an old gen Sworks Toupe (the super thin carbon sheet version) in 143mm. I sold the bike so need a new saddle. I was considered the Evo 00, but I see that it only comes in 139 and 146mm. Any recommendations on which size to get?

The sworks was super comfortable for me.

sychen

by sychen

cajer wrote:I'm currently running an old gen Sworks Toupe (the super thin carbon sheet version) in 143mm. I sold the bike so need a new saddle. I was considered the Evo 00, but I see that it only comes in 139 and 146mm. Any recommendations on which size to get?

I had a SWorks toupe 143mm and it was not good for me at all. Not saying the evo 00 won't work for you thought.

Was on 143 Power variations and 143 Selle Italia. Seems like 146 evo 00 would be similar.

Or just get what works so far.

R0CKETMAN

by R0CKETMAN

cajer wrote:I'm currently running an old gen Sworks Toupe (the super thin carbon sheet version) in 143mm. I sold the bike so need a new saddle. I was considered the Evo 00, but I see that it only comes in 139 and 146mm. Any recommendations on which size to get?

I’ve got the 139 which I think would fit most. It’s about. A bit shorter than my arione.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Rule of thumb for picking a saddle width is to measure you "sit bone width" and then add 3 cm to get the desired seat width (i.e., add 1.5 cm to the left and right side for a total of 3 cm). There are quite a few videos online that show easy methods for measuring your "site bone width".

muti

by muti

The problem with this"rule of thumb" is that on road bikes you never sit on your sit bones(ischial tuberosities).It's the pubic rami where you should be sitting on.

diggs11

by diggs11

So it seems after about a thousand miles the saddle broke (R3). I have been getting bad saddle sores out of nowhere. After taking a closer look it appears some of the lattice structure where my sit bones settle has broken. It audibly clicks when I push down in the broken areas.

This thing should not fail after that little of riding. I guess I'll see what fizik says.

toy4x

by toy4x

My 00 broke Sat in the middle of a 60 mile ride... to say I am disappointed is an understatement.

Warranty has been contacted.. waiting to hear back.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

wow. Looks like a weak point. Glue?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

aosjimzaw

by aosjimzaw

My two previous Antares (non adaptive one) detatched _twice_ on the right side there where the soft material meets the first harder layer. Basically one step higher than toy4x is signalling.

First one got replaced under warranty; second got sent again to Fizik before the second covid breakage and haven't heard from them since. This pissed me off so much that eventually I went to the Specialized 4D saddle. I think it's uglier than Fizik but it's holding way more solid.
I'm also disgusted by Fizik's pure evil marketing strategy of going with vomit-gross green first on their flagship, having people buying it regardless of the impossible colour, and then releasing 18 months later or so the only obvious choice--black.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com