Got into a Road accident today

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Hellok

by Hellok

Hi All

I had a car run into the back of me today at around 15mph. The rear of the Bike ended up under his front left wheel.

I have a photo of the incident, a pedestrian witness statement and names and numbers of both.

I also visited the police station. They gave me a form to complete but at present they said they could not help as the driver stopped.

Thankfully I am ok but feel grateful, or lucky that it wasn't any worse other than a whole load of cuts, grazes and what will be huge bruises.

The bike and wheels however is probably done for. As the car is worth more than his car, what advice can you experienced people provide in these circumstances? What if he does a runner etc.

If his insurance gets involved how would they assess this damage?

Thanks in advance.

flying

by flying

Ouch! No advice on insurance but glad your ok!

Hope it all works out for you with claim

I would think the insurance should be happy settlement is just for the bike & not lifetime injury support

by Weenie

Hellok

by Hellok

Thanks for that.

I just did a bit of online research now that i have calmed down. It appears that wiggle has a legal team, also the solicitors i use for flight delay claims also look after cyclists.

If anyone has any insight on the claims process that woud be helpful.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Hellok wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:14 pm
The bike and wheels however is probably done for. As the car is worth more than his car, what advice can you experienced people provide in these circumstances? What if he does a runner etc.

Thanks in advance.
What country are you based in? What's the bicycle?

In the UK you'd have to take the bicycle to a bike shop and they'd produce a report based on what needs replacing and the cost of labour to set right. Unfortunately these days with carbon nobody is going to x-ray a frame to assess if it's damaged and as such a lot of bikes are written off straight away.

Keep an eye on any soreness you may develop one or two days after the accident.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Hellok wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:18 pm
Thanks for that.

I just did a bit of online research now that i have calmed down. It appears that wiggle has a legal team, also the solicitors i use for flight delay claims also look after cyclists.

If anyone has any insight on the claims process that woud be helpful.
If you are in the UK I would search for a company called CAMS as possibly the easiest and fastest way to go. (C-ams.co.uk)

If the driver is liable and they take the case then CAMS will pay you the value of your damaged equipment in advance, so you don't suffer any delay if the insurance company decides to try and mess you about. Personal injury compensation if applicable would follow as and when settled. Some friends have gone through them and it works very well.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

MichaelK wrote:
Hellok wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Thanks in advance.
What country are you based in? What's the bicycle?

In the UK you'd have to take the bicycle to a bike shop and they'd produce a report based on what needs replacing and the cost of labour to set right. Unfortunately these days with carbon nobody is going to x-ray a frame to assess if it's damaged and as such a lot of bikes are written off straight away.

Keep an eye on any soreness you may develop one or two days after the accident.
Agreed on the carbon front.
Mine had a small line running across it and my insurance wanted it scanned but due to Covid didn't bother, so just wrote it off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hellok

by Hellok

Thanks all

I am in London, UK

It was 100% his fault. I didn't weave in and out anywhere. He straight up went up the back of me and pushed me down the road as I was on the tarmac. It wasn't deliberate, he was probably texting or something.

The bike is a BMC SLR01 DISC with cosmic sl ust pro. Just put the new Schwalbes on recently too which was hard labour in its own right!

Do you think the shop will try and salvage components?

ms6073

by ms6073

Hellok wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:30 pm
It wasn't deliberate, he was probably texting or something.
But I thought that sort of thing was highly frowned upon in the UK?

Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

bw987

by bw987

Sounds like you were not injured. Which is good.

In the US you would work with your car insurance company. Even if you are on your bike. No matter what you hear, if you have car insurance I would check with them.

I was hit and got money for a new bike and other money for my injuries suffered (broken collarbone) through the isnurance companies of the person hitting me.

Geoff

by Geoff

I had a bad one awhile back on a C-40. The only thing that I did not neet to replace was my SRM and Powercontroller. It turned-out that the best proceedure was to claim under my homeowner's policy. They did a 100% replacement deal.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Hellok wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:30 pm
Do you think the shop will try and salvage components?
That will often depend on the mechanic, and on whether you want them to :wink: Though remember that if any part has got so much as a scratch on that it didn't have before it's down to the guy at fault to replace it.

I'd say either give CAMS a call (all they do is bike accidents) or your existing lawyer or both for advice and then take everything else from there.

MisterEd

by MisterEd

British Cycling offer legal advice for this sort of thing.

If you’re not already a member you could join and use it:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/legalsupport

Hellok

by Hellok

Thanks for all the legal recommendations. I have completed the claim form on CAMS and looking into the BC.org

I don't have the option to claim on my home insurance. Motor insurance covers the car and third party related to it. I do not have bike insurance as I never thought I would need it due to never leaving it unattended.

What is the potential of them replacing the bike for the updated model, because BMC no longer make an Ultegra mechanical disc option. This year, their base model is an Ultegra di2 at £9,500 - well overpriced in my opinion and i also dont like the colourway...... or what if i dont even want to have a BMC again.

On the other hand, if they were to strip down the bike, salvage what they can, replace the frameset, wheelset (comes in a pair) and other broken bits and bobs like for like, the cost would be 3/4 there on the 2020 di2 model. That would save the time to rebuild it back up (dont know how long that realisically takes to be honest).

Lots of open ended questions here I'm afraid and not even sure what to expect, Just thought there might be people that may have gone through the same process

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

I was hit on Valentine’s Day of this year and 5 days later on the 19th. Totaled two expensive bikes, hurt lots of joints, but I found out how great my Kask helmet works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Hellok

by Hellok

Glad you are OK otherwise

Didn't realise my head hit the road until i saw the road rash on it.

How did you get through the claims?