Venge or Pinarello?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
orangehelmetguy

by orangehelmetguy

Hey there, looking for advice on a new bike. I live in Southern California with lots of climbs but also lots of flat fast areas too. I owned a F10 and have really enjoyed it but need to replace with a new bike now...so thinking about exploring.

I think my heart wants a Pinarello but I've test ridden the Venge and it just seems to be better for me in particulay.
Last edited by orangehelmetguy on Sat May 30, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

I'd ask your dealer if he can replace the clx64s with a pair of clx50s and the venge would be a climbing machine and still really aero.

by Weenie

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The way a bike climbs really comes down to the rider. If the geometry works for you it will climb well. Lateral stiffness on all aero bikes these days is adequate.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flying

by flying

NiFTY wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:02 pm
The way a bike climbs really comes down to the rider.
^^^ Agree with Nifty^^^

Sorry to be a wet blanket but....

No bike climbs better than another
As long as we are talking about equally modern/ close in weight road bikes
Sure things like a tighter rear triangle/shorter stays may help a tiny bit but it will be a trade off

Then as usual it will come down to the rider
As much as I hate the origin of the cliche ...It's Not About the Bike :wink:

It is all you :beerchug:

Buy what you like or what inspires you the most

orangehelmetguy

by orangehelmetguy

scapewalker wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:58 pm
I'd ask your dealer if he can replace the clx64s with a pair of clx50s and the venge would be a climbing machine and still really aero.
Great point
NiFTY wrote:
The way a bike climbs really comes down to the rider. If the geometry works for you it will climb well. Lateral stiffness on all aero bikes these days is adequate.
Yes, that's kinda why I pulled up the geometry charts on both, oddly enough they are very very close, the biggest difference is the BB distance and the stack, the front and rear triangles are +/- 2mm from one another.

orangehelmetguy

by orangehelmetguy

flying wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm
NiFTY wrote:
The way a bike climbs really comes down to the rider.
^^^ Agree with Nifty^^^

Sorry to be a wet blanket but....

No bike climbs better than another
As long as we are talking about equally modern/ close in weight road bikes
Sure things like a tighter rear triangle/shorter stays may help a tiny bit but it will be a trade off

Then as usual it will come down to the rider
As much as I hate the origin of the cliche ...It's Not About the Bike :wink:

It is all you :beerchug:

Buy what you like or what inspires you the most
Very well said, yes ultimately it's about me, there's a lot of folks I know that will out climb me with a 23lb steel bike lol.

sigma

by sigma

scapewalker wrote:
with the new Roval wheels coming, they will cut you a good deal if you want both sets too...I did this last year when I grabbed an s works venge on sale. It's plenty light for climbing with the 50s. Very fun bike. I did not like the pinarello at all fwiw (just an N=1 opinion based on ride quality).
S-works Tarmac SL6
S-Works Venge
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod 2016 (miss it very much)
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

orangehelmetguy

by orangehelmetguy

sigma wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:21 am
scapewalker wrote:
with the new Roval wheels coming, they will cut you a good deal if you want both sets too...I did this last year when I grabbed an s works venge on sale. It's plenty light for climbing with the 50s. Very fun bike. I did not like the pinarello at all fwiw (just an N=1 opinion based on ride quality).
ya good point, this time of year usually new releases are coming out. I have a few months to think about it so can wait it out.

mriddle

by mriddle

Which bike climbs better?
Really?
Depends on the rider not the bike, not the weight.

justonwo

by justonwo

I'll be the black sheep of the group. I find that my Canyon with DT Swiss PRC 1100 (1280 grams?) wheels is a much more nimble climber than my Pinarello with Zipp 303 NSW wheels. I think how a bike feels in a climb has a lot to do with the weight/inertia of the wheels. I'm going to play around with different wheels on the Pinarello. It is about 3 lbs heavier than the Canyon overall, but I don't think that matters much. I do, however, think the inertia associated with the wheels affects climbing. It's not huge, but it's there. When I climb with my DT Swiss wheels, the bike surges a tiny bit every time I pedal. It just feels much more responsive to the input. I think with a lightweight set of wheels you'll be pretty happy with either one of those bikes. I'm really enjoying my F12, but I also love Specialized bikes. I don't think it's coincidence that my climbing PRs are on the Canyon.
2020 S-Works Roubaix AXS Red (Zipp 303 NSW)
2020 Ultimate Evo 10.0 AXS Red (DT Swiss PRC-1100)
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2018 S-Works Camber
2019 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix

GregR

by GregR

orangehelmetguy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:12 pm
...I think my heart wants a Pinarello but I've test ridden the Venge and it just seems to be better for me in particulay.
Just curious about what about the Venge is better for you? Did you have a disc or rim F10? What did you like/dislike about the F10? If the performance was equal between the two, are you a person who values the Italian style and history of the Pin, or do you like to try new things? Or??

orangehelmetguy

by orangehelmetguy

mriddle wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:21 am
Which bike climbs better?
Really?
Depends on the rider not the bike, not the weight.
Don't disagree or argue your point at all, so why the obsession with weight? That's the whole premise of this forum no?

orangehelmetguy

by orangehelmetguy

justonwo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:19 am
I'll be the black sheep of the group. I find that my Canyon with DT Swiss PRC 1100 (1280 grams?) wheels is a much more nimble climber than my Pinarello with Zipp 303 NSW wheels. I think how a bike feels in a climb has a lot to do with the weight/inertia of the wheels. I'm going to play around with different wheels on the Pinarello. It is about 3 lbs heavier than the Canyon overall, but I don't think that matters much. I do, however, think the inertia associated with the wheels affects climbing. It's not huge, but it's there. When I climb with my DT Swiss wheels, the bike surges a tiny bit every time I pedal. It just feels much more responsive to the input. I think with a lightweight set of wheels you'll be pretty happy with either one of those bikes. I'm really enjoying my F12, but I also love Specialized bikes. I don't think it's coincidence that my climbing PRs are on the Canyon.
Great point. I hear enves aren't the best for climbing, not as stiff so what you're saying would align with that as well. Those I know that ride DT's love them. I'm considering DT's it Bora One

orangehelmetguy

by orangehelmetguy

GregR wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:30 am
orangehelmetguy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:12 pm
...I think my heart wants a Pinarello but I've test ridden the Venge and it just seems to be better for me in particulay.
Just curious about what about the Venge is better for you? Did you have a disc or rim F10? What did you like/dislike about the F10? If the performance was equal between the two, are you a person who values the Italian style and history of the Pin, or do you like to try new things? Or??
Disc F10. The venge definitely felt more lively and aero, the F10 was by no means a slouch either and love the stability and it's a little more relaxed so a touch more comfortable for me.

I like both to answer your question, and if I could I'd get both haha.

I really like the aggressive look and feel of the venge but also the Pinarello heritage and look, maybe I like all the gran tour wins sway me, which really have more to do with the riders and team strategy rather than the bikes they are on. :noidea:

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I'd rather have a frame with a pressfit BB than one with an Italian threaded BB.