axs vs quarq road crank arms

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

My friend is using Dzero DUB arm with pre-dub Quarq spider with no issue. He upgraded the arms from his alloy arm GXP and doesn't have to adjust FD or anything. Just change bottom bracket and arms to DUB. Use same Dzero (non-dub) spider and chainrings.

I don't have any direct experience with the other way around (Dub spider, pre-DUB arms) though.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They have a different mounting plane, it's not advisable to mix and match the two gernations, well, that's what SRAM say.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggi

by raggi

Some very contradicting advice here on whether it should work or not 😅
BB30/GXP DZero's have a different torx bolt pattern compared to new DUB spider and spindle.
They have a different mounting plane
Can you elaborate on this? Which is it? And what's a 'different mounting plane'? Just a different chainline, as @dudemanppl said?

I sent an email to Sram support asking them about this but as expected, they suggested purchasing an entire new crankset+DUB bb while not really answering whether the two are compatible.

raggi

by raggi

Fyi, here's the most recent answer I've gotten from Sram, which seems to fit with peoples experiences on here;
The DZero DUB spider does use the same 8-bolt interface as the original DZero power meter spider. That being said, the current DZero DUB model has an altered chainline offset designed to accommodate the DUB spindle standard.
As a result, if you were to install the DZero DUB spider onto your existing BB30 crankset the resulting chainline would be about 1.5mm off of center. This chainline variance can cause problems with the front shifting on many bikes, so we don't generally recommend such a configuration.
So, it should fit fine but chainline will be altered. Give that I'm personally running this long-spindle BB30 in a venge frame with osbb, I should simply be able to move some spacers around þó accommodate 🤷‍♀️

Gustavar

by Gustavar

@raggi
Did you ever try fitting a Dzero Dub Quarq to a bb30 crankset? Looking at doing this myself and can't find any actual reports on doing it

sqber

by sqber

I have a BB86 bike and don't want to use the tiny DUB bearings. Hence I was planning to use DUB spider with GXP 8-bolt crankarms. I was planning to buy Quarq DZero GXP power meter but the second hand market in Europe seems to be non-existing. From this thread I read that the chain line will probably be off. As I plan to use 1x anyway, could I install the chainring to the "wrong" side of the spider and live happily ever after? Or any other ideas?

RDY

by RDY

sqber wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:39 pm
I have a BB86 bike and don't want to use the tiny DUB bearings. Hence I was planning to use DUB spider with GXP 8-bolt crankarms. I was planning to buy Quarq DZero GXP power meter but the second hand market in Europe seems to be non-existing. From this thread I read that the chain line will probably be off. As I plan to use 1x anyway, could I install the chainring to the "wrong" side of the spider and live happily ever after? Or any other ideas?
Buy DFour DUB AXS PM. Pair with Red AXS GXP cranks. The DFour isn't DUB, despite the name, it's 8 Bolt AXS - it's agnostic between DUB AXS and GXP AXS cranks.

Though this does limit you to Shimano 110 asymmetric chainring mount.