OPEN releases road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

Indeed, velov, please back that up, because Factor's reputation is the exact opposite!

bespoke

by bespoke

I don't particularly like Factor as a brand
But its most unfair to hint they have a very poor reputation for quality and QC and not back that up with proof
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rwoofer

by rwoofer

robertbb wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:36 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 am
ISP, weird IS lower, not even that light, very short reach. Who is the target market?
The reach is more towards where reach should actually be for most people. Reach on most modern road bikes is just too long (evidenced by the stack of spacers under most bikes)
Spacers tackle stack height far more than reach. For my size, the reach looks a bit too short for me (other bikes are Supersix Evo and Cervelo R3).

AJS914

by AJS914

I like the concept but I would NEVER buy a bike with an ISP.

Grandfondo's review is bizarre: under "Flops" they cite:
moderate performance on straight roads
integrated storage compartment would be the icing on the cake

Really? Integrated storage compartment? What would make it faster on straight roads? It's like they have make up something bogus to put in the Flops column.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Gran Fondo Cycling takes nice photos, but they have the worst reviews besides road.cc.

velov

by velov

maquisard wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Indeed, velov, please back that up, because Factor's reputation is the exact opposite!
My opinion is based on experience of two riding buddies (previous gen O2) and a local mechanic who had a few bikes come in with different issues. Cycling Maven on Youtube had a random crack pop on his frame as well from what I remember. They might have resolved these now...I don't really have a dog in this fight.

tomato

by tomato

maquisard wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Yes, Factor has a very good reputation for quality.

ichobi

by ichobi

And may be you can backup where this ‘reputation for quality’ comes from? Apart from the owner Rob Gitelis giving a few interviews on Youtube and in online article saying they used to make frames for Cervelo and Trek and parts for other brands, then make their own Factor stuff using the best thing available, there is no testimony that in fact they do so. They are no different from other companies that say they make the best thing since slice bread. In fact Rob never says HOW they make it better than other rival factories. Factor O2 while a good bike, is way overpriced for the fact that it rides no better than a Tarmac Sl6, the Canyon Ultimate, or the all around lightweight bike in this category. This is from my own extensive use of the o2, sl6 and other big brand bikes. I have nothing against Factor. I like their openness and honesty but the reputation is nothing more than an appearance of reputation. I trust their bike just like any other big brands I would trust, but I dont think they are what people believe them to be.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I can’t attest directly to Factor QC, but it does get rid of a middleman. We can discuss the merit of owning your own factory vs contracting one, but there is clearly more oversight in the former situation.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

robertbb wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
ISP, weird IS lower, not even that light, very short reach. Who is the target market?
The reach is more towards where reach should actually be for most people. Reach on most modern road bikes is just too long (evidenced by the stack of spacers under most bikes)
That i agree to, looking at length of stems and stack of spacers.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

robertbb

by robertbb

rwoofer wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:58 pm
robertbb wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Spacers tackle stack height far more than reach. For my size, the reach looks a bit too short for me (other bikes are Supersix Evo and Cervelo R3).
When reach is too long, people tend to compensate with stack. Most people can actually go pretty low stack-wise if the reach isn't huge.

That said, the geometry of "race" bikes is all wrong for anyone but pro's who work on their flexibility and core strength. Arguably the modern "endurance" frame is what most people should have been riding all along.

Most people have pipe-straight straight arms when in the drops - this is just plain wrong. If you need to straighten your arms in the drops your bars are too low *and* you are actually less aerodynamic than with higher bars and bent elbows.

:smartass:

ichobi

by ichobi

May be thats why you see the tendency towards higher and higher stack height? Since pro never buy their own bike and most pro level bikes are bought by us. However i think most average rider thats not too inflexible can ride pro geometry with 1-2 cm of spacers. Endurance bike geo is just very tall and i dont like the handling of it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robertbb wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:08 am

When reach is too long, people tend to compensate with stack. Most people can actually go pretty low stack-wise if the reach isn't huge.

That said, the geometry of "race" bikes is all wrong for anyone but pro's who work on their flexibility and core strength. Arguably the modern "endurance" frame is what most people should have been riding all along.

Most people have pipe-straight straight arms when in the drops - this is just plain wrong. If you need to straighten your arms in the drops your bars are too low *and* you are actually less aerodynamic than with higher bars and bent elbows.

:smartass:

The lower you go on frame that fits, the more reach you'll need since you're following the arc of a circle plus maintaining arm angles. Going low and retaining grip reach means acute arm bends...your upper arms might even bend backward. Also on an incorrectly sized bike, the front-center may be inappropriate after taking into account someone's center of gravity in such a low-slung position. Case in point, the medium Open Min.D has a front-center of 584mm. A 54cm Cannondale Synapse = 609mm.

I agree that the Open Min.D should be more like an endurance bike, but that means it should have a 570-575mm stack for a 54cm frame, not 560mm. The Min.D is less aggressive than a "club racer" sized H2 Trek Emonda, but not as aggressive as an endurance bike. It's in between. Maybe we can call it "vanity sizing."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

We talk about stack and reach, this makes me think of handlebars drop. I often think of how much i would like a shallower drop.
I could have my handlebar lower, but then the drop-zone wouldn't work. If i mount handlebar for perfect drop position, the bar is too high on the hoods.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.