Emonda 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gabriiaia7273

by gabriiaia7273

drainyoo wrote:For anyone interested in the weight difference between the standard carbon seat mast and the ultralight version, here you go. The Ultralight is 5g lighter, which is dissapointing.

Can the collar be replaced or is it integral with the seat post?

Inviato dal mio SM-A525F utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

gabriiaia7273 wrote:
drainyoo wrote:For anyone interested in the weight difference between the standard carbon seat mast and the ultralight version, here you go. The Ultralight is 5g lighter, which is dissapointing.

It can’t be replaced… well I guess it can be if you force it off. It’s loose, not permanently attached to the post, but there’s a lip at the bottom preventing it from sliding off.

gabriiaia7273

by gabriiaia7273

I supposed. If the lower lip was not essential, you could replace the collar with a lighter carbon model and gain 5 or 6 grams

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

drainyoo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:19 pm
gabriiaia7273 wrote:

It can’t be replaced… well I guess it can be if you force it off. It’s loose, not permanently attached to the post, but there’s a lip at the bottom preventing it from sliding off.

So remove the bolt and pry it apart? Just enough to get one side past the lip, then you can twist it vertically so the only contact is at the diameter.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
drainyoo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:19 pm
gabriiaia7273 wrote:

So remove the bolt and pry it apart?
Yeah, basically. Seems like that could be done. But then how would you get the new clamp on there? Also, most of the weight is in the cradles and ears, so not sure it’s worth it changing the clamp. I wish they still sold the lightweight cradles.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

In theory the lightweight seat mast saves 13g and 16g respectively for the 135mm and 175mm lengths. That's a bloodfest.

The first screen shot is the std seat mast and the 2nd is the lightweight version.
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 11.59.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 11.57.42 PM.png

goatalope

by goatalope

But the Ultralight is Shiny!

There's a "James the Bike Guy" video on Youtube where he weighs just the mast (no cradles/ears) and...
Regular carbon: 96
Ultra light: 89

Looks like he's weighing a 175x 20 offset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqd57CKeMvg

Here's some more data points:

Trek round seatmast cap 135x20mm - black 78 no hardware
Trek round seatmast cap 135x20mm - white 78 no hardware
Trek round seatmast cap 135x5mm - white 80 no hardware
Trek round seatmast cap 175x20mm - carbon/black 95 no hardware

Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

Few snaps of my Emonda and how it sits as of now :D. Any tips to shed some grams welcome.

goatalope

by goatalope

Raymonndo wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:10 pm
Few snaps of my Emonda and how it sits as of now :D. Any tips to shed some grams welcome.

Geez, I can't see any obvious way to save weight. Tubolito or Aerothan tubes? I got it... Sram Red 22 Mechanical!!!

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Raymonndo wrote:Few snaps of my Emonda and how it sits as of now :D. Any tips to shed some grams welcome.

Nice!!!!

choochoo46

by choochoo46

Nice looking bike. Love the color. Very clean looking, especially the one-by. Do you run a power meter?

Possible savings...

-- Ultralight seat mast: 13 - 16g (and if that's the 175mm seat mast, go with the 135mm length)
-- Narrow tires, say 23mm: 25-50g
-- Ditch the bar tape: 35g
-- Can't tell what chain you're running, but how about the YBN Titanium 12spd chain: 25g
-- Rim brake frame: 200g or maybe close to 350g savings with lightweight ee brakes or equivalent. :)

Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

goatalope wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:33 am
Raymonndo wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Geez, I can't see any obvious way to save weight. Tubolito or Aerothan tubes? I got it... Sram Red 22 Mechanical!!!
Haha, thank you! I love the electronic groupset, it's absolutely fantastic. The 105 that came on it was very good mind you. Currently running tubeless with Stans Race sealant, I'm scared of tubes these days!

Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

drainyoo wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:36 am
Raymonndo wrote:Few snaps of my Emonda and how it sits as of now :D. Any tips to shed some grams welcome.

Nice!!!!
Thank you!

Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

choochoo46 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:20 am
Nice looking bike. Love the color. Very clean looking, especially the one-by. Do you run a power meter?

Possible savings...

-- Ultralight seat mast: 13 - 16g (and if that's the 175mm seat mast, go with the 135mm length)
-- Narrow tires, say 23mm: 25-50g
-- Ditch the bar tape: 35g
-- Can't tell what chain you're running, but how about the YBN Titanium 12spd chain: 25g
-- Rim brake frame: 200g or maybe close to 350g savings with lightweight ee brakes or equivalent. :)
Thank you! No PM at the moment but I want to. I've looked into this and favour the Quarq variants the most. I'm waiting to see if Wahoo release the power meter speed plays this summer. See what they weigh vs. Normal pedals.

Currently it is a carbon seat mast in the 135mm variant. I did look into the Ultralight but the grams saved is so small. Plus availability I just couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

Yeah tyres is a big one, currently on 28C but I do like the feel of it. I've never actually ridden with anything smaller...

I think everything else I'd have to retain, bar tape for comfort, chain I couldn't find anything flat top compatible and frame is staying for the moment as I prefer disc :P.

I've ordered a matching Zipp 404 front wheel which should be on this week, on paper it is lighter but we shall see...

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have gone 140mm XTR rotors on all my road bikes. For me, at 70kg bw, braking is fine and they are a good 25g lighter per rotor.

There are lighter wheels. Lighter tires. Lighter saddles, and you could go for the Nanogram Speedplay (pre Wahoo, -35g for me).

Mind you. All these savings will not make you even a 0.1% faster anywhere, really. So ride a bike you want to ride. Aero, friction and Crr are much easier felt than a few hundred grams.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com