Emonda 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

slippy

by slippy

Eggyeggs wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:51 am
slippy wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:14 pm
Just got word from my LBS that the expected delivery date for the RSL 51 is in August. Yay...
Did you manage to get your hands on a pair? I'm strongly considering them now after hearing the freehub sound of the zipp 404 and roval rapide clx.
I guess i have dt swiss to look at. But they look like almost the same wheel...
Still waiting, last I heard was November.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tyro13

by tyro13

Is it possible to run 140mm rotor at front?

johanalexander

by johanalexander

tyro13 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:57 am
Is it possible to run 140mm rotor at front?
Think so, the mount is possible to flip the other way around to accommodate a different diameter.
Eating trash'n riding fast

tyro13

by tyro13

A friend of mine his emonda slr9 with dura ace is equipped with a mount 180mm/160mm....maybe it's better to ask if it's possible to put a 140mm/160mm mount on the fork?

gabpolitely

by gabpolitely

Hi all! A bit of an update to my build. Was able to place an order for the new Ultegra 12 speed grouppo already so I'm pretty excited about that. I have an Excel list tabulating the weights of all my components and I'm sat at ~7.3kg. I'm expecting this to be around 7.5kg when taking into consideration hoses, cables, etc. Did I miss anything? What would you recommend I change. 🤔
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 2.54.13 PM.png

johanalexander

by johanalexander

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum, but here we go. I've gradually cut down my steerer on my SL fork, and yesterday when I made a small cut I noticed a tiny wee little splinter. I guess it has to do with me cutting all the way through in one go, and not turning the saw guide about 45 degrees when I came close to the end. Basically, the last part of the cut was "inside to outside". I used a 32tpi saw blade. Is this something to worry about? Should I sand/file it down a little bit? the steerer goes through the whole stem by a little bit, and I use a 5mm spacer above.
Eating trash'n riding fast

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Certainly nothing to be concerned about; as you suggest, I would simply use a fine file/sandpaper to remove anything loose and smooth the edge/surface - do the absolute minimum though.

It's a good photo; as a completely unrelated observation - I see they use a glass ply as the first (inner layer). I've seen this on and off from various brands over the last 15 years and I'd love to know why it is inconsistently used!! [sometimes there, sometimes not]. Still, from what we can see, Trek seem to be making nice composite.

boots2000

by boots2000

Does anyone know if Trek plans to release a version of the RSL bar/stem combo for this bike with a 75mm reach like their newer road/gravel bar? Seems like it would be a natural-

Paperboy

by Paperboy

drainyoo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:37 pm
gabriiaia7273 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:31 pm
What have you changed to take off so much weight?

Inviato dal mio SM-A525F utilizzando Tapatalk
Hunt 54 UD Carbon Spoke Wheels with Pirelli P Zero Race SL Tires: -1084g
Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C Handlebar/Stem: -187g
Trek Carbon Seat Mast -117g
Berk Lupina Saddle: -260g
Carbon-Ti Rotors: -90g
Carbon-Ti Axles: -15g
Rotor Uno Cassette: -132g
Sigeyi Direct Mount: -23g
KMC X11SL Chain: -22g

How do you like the brake rotors? I'm considering purchasing them, but I'm hesitant due to the necessity for an adapter. Any issues? Is one adapter better than another? Does it retain the correct offset, or is it shifted by a few millimeters?

Nice sl5. I have the same color and mine is similarly modified.
Last edited by Paperboy on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

All this talk about switching to heavier bars to get less reach instead of just getting the same bar in shorter stem is confusing. What's wrong with the 100mm reach of stem lengths start at 80mm?

Speaking of which...
ch00bzs wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:06 am
Emonda SLR size 50 P1 Icon Hollographic
FSA K-Force Compact Handlebar 40cm
Do you (or any other SLR size 47 or 50 owners) still have their stock RSL handlebars but aren't using it? These frame sizes come in 380x80, which is what I'm looking for!

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 am
All this talk about switching to heavier bars to get less reach instead of just getting the same bar in shorter stem is confusing. What's wrong with the 100mm reach of stem lengths start at 80mm?
For me, the problem with this is that it brings the tops closer to my knees. So what I'm effectively doing is pulling the cross bar 2cm closer, which may cause my knees to hit when out of the ssaddle while climbing. Other than the reach, it's the perfect bar.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Does it actually happen to you? I believe it, but no matter what I'm doing, my legs are never <2cm to the bar.

I found one of these bars as a takeoff, so I'm looking forward to trying it. imo, the long reach might be nice for getting low and aero when I put my wrist/forearms down behind the hoods. Hopefully don't have the clearance issue you mention.

Filans

by Filans

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 am
When I built my bike I used a two piece 90mm stem and a 79mm reach handlebar. Then I bought an 80mm RSL handlebars (180mm total reach). In theory, it should be more stable because the total length is longer, but no, the newly installed RSL is so twitchy compared to my previous setup. Then I replaced the RSL with a 100mm Farsports F1 (173mm total reach). And again, the F1 is more stable even though it is shorter in total compared to the RSL. I can't explain why and I know it doesn't make any sense, maybe because it's the stem length alone that actually affect stability and not the total reach, maybe it's the RSL handlebar itself, but I hated how my bike handles with the 80mm stem.

Kingstonian

by Kingstonian

tyro13 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:35 pm
A friend of mine his emonda slr9 with dura ace is equipped with a mount 180mm/160mm....maybe it's better to ask if it's possible to put a 140mm/160mm mount on the fork?

I can't imagine many people would be wanting a 180mm rotor on an Emonda, unless they were a pretty heavy rider and in very hilly terrain perhaps.

Filans

by Filans

Does anyone know if Emonda ALR and SL/SLR have the same thru axle size and thread pitch?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com