Emonda 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

robertoguinn wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:25 pm
PawelK wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 am
Hi,

I am about to buy a 2022 Emonda SLR Disc. I plan to replace Shimano crank with a Power2Max/Rotor Aldhu setup (NGEco). Does anyone here have done this already? Does it work (clearance/compatibility)?

On P2M page I found confusing info:
- P2M/Rotor Aldhu 24 -> German site says it's NOT compatible with Emonda 2021
- P2M/Rotor Aldhu 24 -> English site says nothing about Emonda compatibility (which I take as "yes" for compatibility)
- P2M/Rotor Aldhu 30 -> German or English site says nothing about Emonda compatibility (which I take as "yes" for compatibility)

I was thinking about swapping the T47 BB to Rotor's T4730 to fit Aldhu 30 crankarms and save ~50g thanks to the Aluminum spindle. But I can also live with Aldhu 24 if that makes any difference regarding compatibility.

Of course I asked P2M about this via Support, but the answer is inconclusive. So maybe someone here can advise?

----------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
I asked P2M support again and they confirmed compatibility of both Aldhu 24 and Aldhu 30 with TREK Emonda 2021-2022 and that info on German page is a mistake.

I am still wondering if anyone here is using this setup :)
Aldhu spider-based PM won't work. Their axle-based PM will. I was looking into running oval rings with AXS and emailed Rotor about which PM crank fits, after hearing from my LBS that the Aldhu does not. I found out that my GXP Red Quarq won't fit the frame either due to the BB shell width. I've gone with a 4iiii on a Red 11spd. crank (cheapest and lightest).

From Rotor:

The Inspider does run into fitment issues with the bike as the chainstays are quite wide and hit the back side of the spider.

The Inpower and 2inpower cranks will both fit and either one can be used with the AXS compatible 110x4 rings. Either option will require another bottom bracket to be used, such as the Rotor T47-30i.

I have links to the Inpower and 2inpower cranks below along with the 110x4 spider and AXS compatible rings. Let us know if you had any other questions!

https://rotoramerica.com/collections/ro ... er-dm-road
https://rotoramerica.com/collections/ro ... /dm-spider
https://rotoramerica.com/collections/ro ... r-sram-axs
Is this a general problem with T47, or specific to the Emonda?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertoguinn

by robertoguinn

RDY wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:47 pm
robertoguinn wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:25 pm
PawelK wrote:
Hi,

I am about to buy a 2022 Emonda SLR Disc. I plan to replace Shimano crank with a Power2Max/Rotor Aldhu setup (NGEco). Does anyone here have done this already? Does it work (clearance/compatibility)?

- P2M/Rotor Aldhu 24 -> English site says nothing about Emonda compatibility (which I take as "yes" for compatibility)
- P2M/Rotor Aldhu 30 -> German or English site says nothing about Emonda compatibility (which I take as "yes" for compatibility)

I was thinking about swapping the T47 BB to Rotor's T4730 to fit Aldhu 30 crankarms and save ~50g thanks to the Aluminum spindle. But I can also live with Aldhu 24 if that makes any difference regarding compatibility.

Of course I asked P2M about this via Support, but the answer is inconclusive. So maybe someone here can advise?

EDIT:
I asked P2M support again and they confirmed compatibility of both Aldhu 24 and Aldhu 30 with TREK Emonda 2021-2022 and that info on German page is a mistake.

Aldhu spider-based PM won't work. Their axle-based PM will. I was looking into running oval rings with AXS and emailed Rotor about which PM crank fits, after hearing from my LBS that the Aldhu does not. I found out that my GXP Red Quarq won't fit the frame either due to the BB shell width. I've gone with a 4iiii on a Red 11spd. crank (cheapest and lightest).

From Rotor:

The Inspider does run into fitment issues with the bike as the chainstays are quite wide and hit the back side of the spider.

The Inpower and 2inpower cranks will both fit and either one can be used with the AXS compatible 110x4 rings. Either option will require another bottom bracket to be used, such as the Rotor T47-30i.

I have links to the Inpower and 2inpower cranks below along with the 110x4 spider and AXS compatible rings. Let us know if you had any other questions!

https://rotoramerica.com/collections/ro ... /dm-spider
https://rotoramerica.com/collections/ro ... r-sram-axs
Is this a general problem with T47, or specific to the Emonda?
It's an Emonda thing - it's got a modified T47 and something about the BB flanges and hub shell size doesn't play nice with a GXP Quarq's cadence ring or an Aldhu.
children trust me

gabriiaia7273

by gabriiaia7273

@CAAD997 Hi, the bike in question is not mine. Indeed, mine should arrive in early March.

Inviato dal mio SM-A525F utilizzando Tapatalk

PawelK

by PawelK

I'm not considering Rotor's in-house powermeter. I've been using Power2Max for 10years now and I will continue to do so as they turned out to be very reliable and never failed me.

I received answer from Power2Max that both Aldhu24 and Aldhu30 spider based PM from them should work with Trek Emonda.

With this confirmation I ordered Aldhu30, I will replace current T47 BB for 24 axle with Rotor's T4730.

I will see if that works or not :)

CAAD997

by CAAD997

drainyoo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:37 pm

Did you shorten the cables & housings when you removed the steering stem spacers, or did you just push them into the frame?

The bike looks great!
Two wheelers rock!

bet609

by bet609

PawelK wrote:
Hi,

EDIT:

i have used p2m ng eco + aldhu / p2m (vegast) cranks with out any issues. see attached photo. i just could not find spacer specs for t47 bb. i have already asked rotor but they haven't provided an updated spec.
Attachments
IMG_20220201_044647.jpg

gabriiaia7273

by gabriiaia7273

€ 276,56 31%di SCONTO | Nuovo 2022 ONE PRO Bike integrato manubrio in carbonio cablaggio interno Racing manubrio bici da strada rottura vento
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vb9tEg

Look at this bar ...

Inviato dal mio SM-A525F utilizzando Tapatalk

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

350gr !! it is not weightweenies :D

Filans

by Filans

Looking to replace my RSL integrated barstem with a separate stem and handlebar. Does anyone know a slightly thicker stem that looks good with Emonda? Tried a nromal shaped alloy stem before, but I think it's too thin compared to Emonda's bigger head tube.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

What about the Bontrager XXX stem? Seems to work for Mads Pederson.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stormtrooper wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:22 am
What about the Bontrager XXX stem? Seems to work for Mads Pederson.

Mads mostly uses a pro-only -17 Aeolus RSL bar/stem right now. In the past he used a Bontrager Pro alloy stem because the XXX/RSL doesn’t come in -17.

PawelK

by PawelK

For those of you who are wondering:

So now both my Emonda SLR Disc 2022 and Rotor Aldhu with Power2Max NGEco spider are here and installed.
I used Rotor's T4730 BB which fits nicely.
I needed 2x2.5mm spacers (spacer "A") - one on DS side, one on NDS.
It looks all good - not ridden yet, but that setup has no interference between P2M spider and frame.

One tip: T4730 is installed with Rotor's Direct Mount nut tool (used for spider lock ring in older models like 3D+). Even with this tool the engagement between the BB splines and itself is hard to keep under the force required to tighten. Especially that Rotor's DM tool is run by a regular Hollowtech II tool. It needs much attention and focus as it's easy to destroy either the splines of the BB or the DM nut tool.

Five50

by Five50

Has anyone done a decent comparison of S works Tarmac SL7 vs Emonda SLR? I've read over 80 pages of this thread so far and not seen anything other than some comparisons vs SL6 tarmac.

DV0993

by DV0993

Has anyone done a decent comparison of S works Tarmac SL7 vs Emonda SLR? I've read over 80 pages of this thread so far and not seen anything other than some comparisons vs SL6 tarmac.
Also interested in this - The thing the bugs me about the Emonda is the lack of Aero seatpost/mast - Every other bike brand of similar calibre seams to have an aero seatpost. Also interested in other opinions vs other bikes (Scott/Canyon/Cervelo etc) - My 2021 SL6 Emonda was my first carbon bike, coming from riding aluminium for 10 years.

Separately, I ordered a hambini BB for the hell of it. I'm approaching 5000km - is now a good time to switch out the praxxis BB?

I'm also thinking of getting the Aeolus VRC Handlebar/Stem -> Any downsides to this or better alternatives?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PawelK

by PawelK

DV0993 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:58 am
Also interested in this - The thing the bugs me about the Emonda is the lack of Aero seatpost/mast - Every other bike brand of similar calibre seams to have an aero seatpost. Also interested in other opinions vs other bikes (Scott/Canyon/Cervelo etc) - My 2021 SL6 Emonda was my first carbon bike, coming from riding aluminium for 10 years.

Separately, I ordered a hambini BB for the hell of it. I'm approaching 5000km - is now a good time to switch out the praxxis BB?

I'm also thinking of getting the Aeolus VRC Handlebar/Stem -> Any downsides to this or better alternatives?
About the seatmast in Emonda: It's oval, so not aero. However the seatpost/mast play lesser role in aero than for example handlebar or fork/headtube. Here Emonda is doing good job. Of course aero seatmast would help, but it's not huge disadvantage.
Its advantage is definitely that it goes OVER the seattube. This way during rainy rides it's way harder for the water to get inside of the frame and cause issues with Di2/BB, etc.

Aeolus VRC stem/bar combo requires checking upfront if the position is acceptable for you because you can only adjust 2 things: stem height with spacers and position of shifters. You cannot change angle of the handlebar itself vs the stem and for me it's not perfect