Emonda 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

g32ecs wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:14 pm
I dont know how is this different from the Cannondale Supersix? It's the same cable entry through the headtube

Actually the SS wasnt meant to go down that entry for full mechanical until someone in Korea found a way

The SuperSix fork has a conventional cylindrical steerer. The cables/hoses enter a separate compartment forward of the steerer and are guided around it. The cables don’t even thread through the headset bearing.

The Emonda likely has a fork steerer with truncated sides like the Madone so the cables/hoses can run directly into the headtube. In this configuration, the cables do thread through the headset bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:31 am
cveks wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:32 am
I like more rim based bikes than disc. I dont brake too much , and rim brake bike gives more - lower weight bike for less money. Most disc brake bikes weight 500 grams more than their rim brake versions. Why would I invest in low weight group and buy Dura Ace or Sram Red to have bike which weights same as bike with Shimano 105 or Rival ?
The paradox is that brakes are needed in the mountains during descents. Do you ride in the mountains or do you think rim-brakes are enough for the mountains and mountains+weather? And if you live somewhere flat, well that +500g isn't going to matter.
I think the differences in weight are getting pretty low now. My tarmac disc is almost as light as a rim version. The Factor 02 Vam disc is sub 15lbs, the last version of the Cervelo r5 was lighter in disc than rim. I imagine wheel technology will also continue to evolve around not needing a braking track, so there will be changes in weight there too. Your comment around the mountains is interesting. I live now in Utah around some steep hills (regularly north of 10% grade). My rim brakes work just fine except in rain of course but I rarely climb those hills in bad weather because of lightening. Having made the switch to disc, it has changed the way I ride the descents. More confident and a bit faster in general as opposed to being a bit more conservative. Probably due to knowing there is more stopping power there when I need it. So not better or worse, just a behaviorial change for me.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Trkorb

by Trkorb

The Madone front end fits on both the SL and SLR models of these new bikes. So you can clean it up if you want.

My understanding was release in July, but maybe they are going to bring it forward if there are now bikes in the wild.

Would be very interested in the frame weight of the SL - If it's in the 900g range and a decent price could be a very interesting option.

H1.5 will help the look of the bike too - espcially with the high seat stays.

GamecockS2K

by GamecockS2K

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm
I don’t, but if retail bikes are showing up at stores and the current SLR is delisted, even that June 18 date someone mentioned seems conservative.
I've been told June 4th. :noidea:

bilwit

by bilwit

so we thinking the new aero barstem is dropping at the same time too? :noidea:

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Glad I still have my 2015 Emonda SLR.

They make it real easy to know who's the manufacturer.

TREK, they could make it any more obnoxious.

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

Trkorb wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:43 pm
The Madone front end fits on both the SL and SLR models of these new bikes. So you can clean it up if you want.

My understanding was release in July, but maybe they are going to bring it forward if there are now bikes in the wild.

Would be very interested in the frame weight of the SL - If it's in the 900g range and a decent price could be a very interesting option.

H1.5 will help the look of the bike too - espcially with the high seat stays.
Ah thanks. It's just a different type of spacer which allows the cables to thread through them as seen on the Madone SL

cveks

by cveks

TobinHatesYou wrote:
cveks wrote:
I like more rim based bikes than disc. I dont brake too much , and rim brake bike gives more - lower weight bike for less money. Most disc brake bikes weight 500 grams more than their rim brake versions. Why would I invest in low weight group and buy Dura Ace or Sram Red to have bike which weights same as bike with Shimano 105 or Rival ?
The paradox is that brakes are needed in the mountains during descents. Do you ride in the mountains or do you think rim-brakes are enough for the mountains and mountains+weather? And if you live somewhere flat, well that +500g isn't going to matter.

I ride a mountains a lot but I dont go downhill in full gas because that is very dangerous . Last year I almost crash on one dangerous descent some of my friends did , so I decided to go full gas on flat uphill but not on steep downhills down the mountain. So I dont get why we need disc brakes at all . Its more important for me that mybike weight 500 grams less, and that I pay less . Hydraulic groupsets are still very expensive for my budget and I dont see any benefit of that .

Unniti

by Unniti

cveks wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:10 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
cveks wrote:

I ride a mountains a lot but I dont go downhill in full gas because that is very dangerous . Last year I almost crash on one dangerous descent some of my friends did , so I decided to go full gas on flat uphill but not on steep downhills down the mountain. So I dont get why we need disc brakes at all . Its more important for me that mybike weight 500 grams less, and that I pay less . Hydraulic groupsets are still very expensive for my budget and I dont see any benefit of that .
So you agree that disc brakes are better but because you don't go full gas downhill you feel like you can get away with rim brakes? I just don't get that logic. It's like saying you don't use a seat belt because you're not driving full gas.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

deleted.

C36

by C36

Unniti wrote: So you agree that disc brakes are better but because you don't go full gas downhill you feel like you can get away with rim brakes? I just don't get that logic. It's like saying you don't use a seat belt because you're not driving full gas.
That’s quite the worst comparison ever. Are you aware that rim brake do... brake?
Your comparison would be “not having any brake”...
Outside downhilling in apocalypse weather condition there is no reason to need discs.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I wonder, because we get very focused on full bike weight and full wheel weight, but surely with disc they have a lower rotational weight at the edge Thanks to no brake track. Also they allow for more aerodynamic shaping of wheels and forks.. so as soon as wheels/bikes are only disc and bikes and wheels are optimised for this then they should be better than rim?...
Last edited by CustomMetal on Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cveks wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:10 am

Well some of us still like descending aggressively and braking very late into corners, where disc modulation and braking consistency is a huge confidence booster.

Unniti

by Unniti

C36 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:28 am
Unniti wrote: So you agree that disc brakes are better but because you don't go full gas downhill you feel like you can get away with rim brakes? I just don't get that logic. It's like saying you don't use a seat belt because you're not driving full gas.
That’s quite the worst comparison ever. Are you aware that rim brake do... brake?
Your comparison would be “not having any brake”...
Outside downhilling in apocalypse weather condition there is no reason to need discs.
It's not a bad comparison. Brakes are safety equipment and people have a habit of dismissing the need and usage of safety equipment because they're careful and don't need it. When it comes to safety equipment you can often look at them from a sort of reverse point of view. What if we had always had disc brakes and now someone brought current rim brakes to the market. The general opinion would the that they're a novel weigh weenie choice not suitable for normal riding. Disc brakes provide better braking. I can understand someone still being on rim brakes now because they have a ton of wheels and bikes that are rim brakes or because they can't afford a new bike with discs. But saying that you don't want them because you aren't going full gas on downhills is a shitty reason.

If you want a more direct comparison then what about drum vs. disc brakes in cars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Doesn't look like Trek is going to merge the Emonda and Madone much like what Specialized will supposably do with the new Tarmac.

Really interesting and good for industry that the 2 big american brands are going in a different direction imo.