Leaking 105 R7020 Hydraulic Shifter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Point

by Point

I'm hoping someone knows a fix to this.
My rhs shifter is leaking at the front of the shifter and it has reacted with the shifter hood, stretching and warping it. I'm presuming the point in which it is leaking (see pic) is a purge valve?
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

Where do you live?
R7020 can't be that old and in Europe there's 2 years guarantee. If these conditions apply to your shifter, I would return it in stead of trying to fix it yourself.
Just my 2 cents. It isn't the answer to your question but it does solve your problem.

Point

by Point

I was hoping it might be an obvious fix, like a rebleed etc but I'm inclined to try go through warranty/guarantee, unfortunately they're off a new bike so I'm not the primary owner.

Thanks for your input!
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

Pato

by Pato

The bleeding port in Shimano levers is usually on the top part, towards the back (near the bar attachment).
That might need a full replacement, had similar issues in the past but with MTB levers and it was no easy fix.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Take it to a Authorized Shimano Dealer.......(most bike shops), have them warranty it. Does not matter whether you are original owner or not, and doesn't necessarily matter how old it is. It all comes down to which mechanic talks to the warranty guys. Try to find a shop who has done the process with Shimano before.
My experience has been that end users and most shops themselves don't utilize the technical/warranty departments of Shimano/Sram available to dealers. It is usually as simple as the tech who is talking to the advisor saying something like.........(this guy is a good customer, can we help him out?" to get a brand new part in the mail.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Point

by Point

So my local Authorized Shimano Dealer wanted to charge me for removing and reinstalling the brakes, fair enough. I said I'd do it myself as it's a simple job, they then said they needed to charge me £15 for an admin fee to contact Shimano? They've also told me because I don't have proof of purchase as I'm a second hand owner (item was brand new) they cant do a warranty claim.

Any other options?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

kode54

by kode54

a few things...

remove hydro hose and see if the olive is crimping down on the hose correctly. I had an issue with an olive one time where it wasn't seated correctly. leaked a little and I couldn't find where the leak was.

also, check the top screw for the mineral oil. Sometimes, the 'O' ring falls off or gets stuck inside...enough to cause a minor leak which is hard to track down.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

g32ecs

by g32ecs

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 am
Take it to a Authorized Shimano Dealer.......(most bike shops), have them warranty it. Does not matter whether you are original owner or not, and doesn't necessarily matter how old it is. It all comes down to which mechanic talks to the warranty guys. Try to find a shop who has done the process with Shimano before.
My experience has been that end users and most shops themselves don't utilize the technical/warranty departments of Shimano/Sram available to dealers. It is usually as simple as the tech who is talking to the advisor saying something like.........(this guy is a good customer, can we help him out?" to get a brand new part in the mail.
x2

Had Pearl Izumi bib and a pair of Shimano shoes bought elsewhere but the LBS did it for me because I was a good customer

Seriously, Shimano should be bending over to everyone's warranty request. They dont fix their products when there's an obvious defect or faulty part i.e. 6800 cranks and the C "40" wheels. They dont even address it.

Point

by Point

Unfortunately my lbs's aren't any of the reasonable or even friendly lbs's I keep hearing about online.
There's definitely not a leak on the bleed screw on the lever, it's bone dry there. The leak is 100% coming from the purge valve at the top front of the lever. It's leaked enough that the grip has reacted with the mineral oil and stretched it.
I'm inclined to try a full empty and re-bleed of the system, checking all olives and inserts along the away and a previsory before taking the shifter into the LBS and hoping they'll help get it sorted.

I'm really surprised and rather gutted this is happening with a very new lever.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

Point

by Point

So on further inspection, there is also a slight leak where this pin is situated. The pin, in comparison to the left levers identical one, is sticking out which is presumably not correctly plugging the hole.
I’m Now waiting to hear back from Madison UK to get their thoughts.
11686E60-C14C-4889-B10B-8D5ECF3B4ED0.jpeg
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

Point

by Point

I'm having absolutely no luck on the warranty front. As I'm not the original owner and don't have a receipt (even though the T&C's don't state the warranty isn't transferable, simply a receipt is required), I'm out of luck. Looks like I'll have to find pay to get it repaired.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

umayrmasud

by umayrmasud

I have the same issue, so what was the solution for this ?