Michelin Power Road Tubeless - User Feedback

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sojodave

by Sojodave

They are way easier to mount than Conti 5000 tubeless and they roll great. So far, they are my favorite tubeless tire.

T65

by T65

I've done more than 4k km with them and that includes a lot of climbing under all conditions (rain, bad country roads). Size 28 mm on Kinlin XR26T (19c) rims are 30 mm wide at 4.5/5.0 bar and 75 kg weight. Never punctured and low wear with approx 1000 km left before the wear indicator will disappear. They were easy to fit with use of a lever only for getting them on first time. No issues with removing. Hold pressure very well dropping 0.5 bar over 1 week. When the rear is worn I think I will move the 28 mm front to the rear and install a 25 mm on the front wheel. For now I believe they are an excellent product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

I'm also finding the 28mm michelin tubeless works great with my fulcrum racing 3 wheels that have a 19mm internal width. I measure 29mm with 4.5 bar pressure. The tires were tougher to mount than a tubed michelin clincher, but not terrible and they seated easily. They hold air very well with orange seal endurance sealant. I have sets on two bikes.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I've done a few more miles on these and am impressed, a similar supple 'feel' to Pro one TLE but more robust akin to a GP5K in construction. Few PBs even though it's early season so confident they're pretty fast in practice well.
My 28mm have grown to 29mm on 19mm internal rims.
Just wish the blue and yellow of the logo didn't clash quite as much with my red / white / black bike....

HotWireMyHeart

by HotWireMyHeart

I've been running these on a pair of Carbon Reynolds wheels and just cannot get them to hold air.
Have started again, carefully cleaned everything, fresh tape and valves etc... still leaking. They'll just very slowly got down to about 40psi and stay there overnight.

In frustration I filled the sink today and put the whole wheel in to try to find the problem- the tyres themselves are letting air seep out right on the seam where the sidewall meets the tread and in numerous places.

Have had Muc-Off fluid in there so far, I'll try Orange seal next in a last ditch attempt to run these tubeless and then give up. I like the ride of the tyre but I've had much better success with GP's or Pro Ones.

DaveS

by DaveS

I use orange seal endurance. It works great in my michelin tires. The tires hold air as well as any tubed tire.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DaveS wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:54 am
I use orange seal endurance. It works great in my michelin tires. The tires hold air as well as any tubed tire.

Interesting. I have some Michelins ready to mount. Right now the reigning champ for air retention are the Goodyear Eagle F1/SS/Vector. Those tires will lose maybe ~1psi/week, if that. Better than any light butyl tube and on par with standard tubes.

radiantRadish

by radiantRadish

I've had the same problem with the Power Gravel version of these tyres: inflate them then run a wet cloth around the sides and you hear/see the air fizzle out (but no sealant bleeding). Next day tyre pressure is around 10 psi! I'm using (regular) Orange sealant. I did read that Panaracer Seal Smart is good for leaky sidewalls but I can't help thinking this is more of a defect Michelin have with some batches of the tlr rubber.
HotWireMyHeart wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm
I've been running these on a pair of Carbon Reynolds wheels and just cannot get them to hold air.
Have started again, carefully cleaned everything, fresh tape and valves etc... still leaking. They'll just very slowly got down to about 40psi and stay there overnight.

In frustration I filled the sink today and put the whole wheel in to try to find the problem- the tyres themselves are letting air seep out right on the seam where the sidewall meets the tread and in numerous places.

Have had Muc-Off fluid in there so far, I'll try Orange seal next in a last ditch attempt to run these tubeless and then give up. I like the ride of the tyre but I've had much better success with GP's or Pro Ones.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Have you tried leaving them on their sides to seal overnight?
Spinning through multiple axes to coat every surface inside?
Going for a short ride with lowish pressure and a generous amount of sealant?

radiantRadish

by radiantRadish

Yeah, tried everything! I was surprised when I intially searched online that there was very little mention of it (I think there was one comment from someone on Bike24 who returned the tyres because of the air loss) which leads me to beileve that it's a manufacturing issue. I've been running tubeless for a few years now (Panaracer, WTB, Hutchinson) and never experiened this before.

I do like the tyres though, so will just accept it, but probably wouldn't buy them again.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

radiantRadish wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:28 pm
Yeah, tried everything! I was surprised when I intially searched online that there was very little mention of it (I think there was one comment from someone on Bike24 who returned the tyres because of the air loss) which leads me to beileve that it's a manufacturing issue. I've been running tubeless for a few years now (Panaracer, WTB, Hutchinson) and never experiened this before.

I do like the tyres though, so will just accept it, but probably wouldn't buy them again.

How much sealant are you using?

radiantRadish

by radiantRadish

I think it was around 45-50 ml (I've not been using them for a few months). I've attached a pic taken some months ago after applying a wet cloth around the sidewalls.
Attachments
power_gravel_prob.jpg

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I'm interested in these as a GP5k TL alternative but tbh the Contis are just such good all rounders it's hard: fast, grippy, reasonably puncture resistant and hard wearing. Ok, they're a nightmare to get on and aren't super light, but it's hard to find something that ticks as many boxes.

HotWireMyHeart

by HotWireMyHeart

I took a vid of my leaky sidewall seam:

Never got it to hold air and there's no trick really- there's just a porous section there that lets air out constantly.

Saying that, I've had one last attempt with Orange seal Endurance just now, lets see when I squeeze them in the morning :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sojodave

by Sojodave

I've got 1100 miles on my Michelin Power Road 28's and they still look good...I hope I didn't just jinx them.