Axs cassette rubbing spokes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jekyll man

by jekyll man

the jackel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:56 pm
I have no idea what spacer it is referring to as I didn’t get one with the freehub.

I have read about swapping the seals over which I have done. I have also put the old freehub back on and it sits in exactly the same place as the xdr one so I’d guess a spacer isn’t missing.

The novatec website describes the freehub as “Freehub body B2 type (B427), Sram XDR, 12speed, alloy 4-pawls, w/oil seal, w/inner spacer, ROAD type, OEM”. What would the inner spacer be?
I'm guessing its a spacer that sits between the freehub and the hub bearing. You might also need to change end caps.
I'd PM Malcolm ( bm0p700f on here), he knows his stuff.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomato

by tomato

the jackel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:29 pm
tomato wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:05 pm
As a piece of additional data -- I had to add a spacer to my G3 hub to prevent the cassette from rubbing on the spokes. (In my case, it was an 11 speed Campy cassette.)
I assume you mean a cassette spacer?
I put a spacer on the freehub before installing the cassette.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How do xdr cassettes work? Can they be spaced out?

That would be the easiest. Looks like a 1mm spacer should do the trick. Still take care with spoke to cage distance. 2-3mm is not safe.

the jackel

by the jackel

jekyll man wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:40 pm
I'm guessing its a spacer that sits between the freehub and the hub bearing. You might also need to change end caps.
I'd PM Malcolm ( bm0p700f on here), he knows his stuff.
Malcolm says the Xdr freehub needs its own axle spacer. As far as I’m aware I have used this so looks like I need to try a thin cassette spacer. Will pop one on and report back.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What's the axle diameter?

Pedal washers can be used with 15mm axles by just grinding the inside a tiny bit. Run a grinding stone a few turns (always keep it moving).

Aluminum endcaps are very soft. You can probably sand down a millimeter off the inside by running it over sand paper on a flat surface, but depending on the outer seal design it will probably break that.

I'm ghetto. This kind of modification is not hub level precision.

If possible use a cassette washer instead.

the jackel

by the jackel

So I popped a 1mm cassette spacer in and the their is now enough clearance between spokes and cassette for the wheel to freewheel without friction.

Great news heh.

Unfortunately it seems I have simply shifted the problem. The chain now rubs very lightly on the seat stay when in the 10T. To make matters worse, although perhaps I should say thankfully, I can't shift into the 10T despite moving the limit screw appropriately and trying to fine tune the position of the mech. At least I have loads of room at the other end of the cassette.

Might look at the pedal washer idea, at least worth a try. Not sure I'd call myself ghetto but more than game to try these kind of mods

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try to put a "pedal washer" spacer between endcap and freehub, or maybe even easier, a washer between endcap and frame. You'll probably need 1mm.

How thick is the cassette spacer? Sure you didn't go too thick?

There is still the question of how well a spaced out xdr cassette mates with a freehub. I hope that freehub hasn't lost its ability to withstand torque and not get chewed up at the splines.

the jackel

by the jackel

Cassette spacer definitely 1mm, it was the thinnest one I have.

The XDR driver users a 1.85mm spacer if you want to put an 11sp cassette on so my spacer should be fine.

I'll give the spacer idea a go next week and let you know. Thanks for the idea

the jackel

by the jackel

So I bought a 0.2mm spacer for behind the cassette and it's solved all the problems.

No more spoke rubbing and the 10t is now in the game. Thanks for all your input

Carl1427

by Carl1427

the jackel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 pm
So I bought a 0.2mm spacer for behind the cassette and it's solved all the problems.

No more spoke rubbing and the 10t is now in the game. Thanks for all your input
Hello the jackel. My name is Carl and I am new to this forum, and I am hoping you can assist me with an issue I am having converting to Force AXS using my PowerTap G3 hub.

I have recieved the Novatec B2 XDR driver for my G3, however with my present end caps my 130mm does not have the clearance to allow the wheel to freespin. I am curious if you can assist in pointing me in the right direction of endcaps that worked for you while keeping Quick Release.

I appreciate your help in advance and wish you all a wonderful day!

the jackel

by the jackel

Hey Carl,

I simply used the end caps that came with the G3 hub. As I'm sure you have read I switched a seal between the powertap freehub and the B2 freehub and added a spacer. I had no need to change endcaps.

Where abouts are you getting the friction/contact that is stopping your wheel spinning?

Carl1427

by Carl1427

I am thinking I just need to commit and remove the derailleur and try again. I did follow your discussion on all else so I think I will be able to use some of that knowledge to move forward.

I will keep you updated and thank you for your help!

Carl1427

by Carl1427

Hello The Jeckyl.

Thank you for pointing out the oil seal on the end cap. I went into the shop, we looked at it, and after a modification to the end cap I now have zero binding, my cassette cassette and Driver free-spin, and I did use a spacer to avoid cassette rubbing on the spokes. :)

I am greatly appreciative for your help! :beerchug:
Attachments
PXL_20211202_214002688.jpg
PXL_20211202_213956690.jpg

the jackel

by the jackel

You are most welcome, glad to have helped

Chasseur

by Chasseur

Mr the jackel, can you advise where I might locate the described .2mm xdr spacer? I don't see any .2mm spacers in my searches. Sorry for the late thread revive, I do wish I had found this thread earlier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com