Saddle help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dat

by Dat

There is a lupina on eBay, ex display for £145. It's 7mm rail version though and I'm worried my 70kg arse will destroy it, especially when I'm bouncing down a hill at 180rpm.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Dat wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:55 pm
There is a lupina on eBay, ex display for £145. It's 7mm rail version though and I'm worried my 70kg arse will destroy it, especially when I'm bouncing down a hill at 180rpm.
Jees it's a tough crowd when 70kg is mega heavy - unless you mean your arse alone weighs that much? :lol:

To expand on the Lupina as well, as alluded to with the guy mentioning the pockets, it's quite rounded side to side but at the same time has a concave shaping on the wings that really helps increase the flex and stop the load being too focussed on the sitbone points. Quite a complex shape, and as said quite unique at least in what I've seen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dat

by Dat

Ok, 132m or 150mm? As I said I'm coming from a full carbon lite/forma.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Dat wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:59 am
Ok, 132m or 150mm? As I said I'm coming from a full carbon lite/forma.
What is your sitbone measurement?

General recommendation is to add 20-30mm to that, but saddle widths can be tricky if there is significant curvature side to side. Plus, typically the actual spot where your sitbones interact is not the widest section.

For reference, my sitbone spacing is 122 and the 150 Lupina is about spot on. I checked and the indentions line up perfectly where my sitbones would interact. Accounting for the side-to-side curve and roll off, the actual width of the 150 is effectively more like 145 and that's at the widest part (not where your sitbones would interact).

I have no doubt that for me the 130 Lupina would be too narrow.

eurostar

by eurostar

Dat wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:27 am
I've struggled with saddles for years. I have issues with going numb and in 300k+ rides it hurts to pee. This issue was solved with an SMP forma but there not what I'd describe as comfortable. I've done many long rides of 600k but wouldn't fancy doing too much more on one.

I bought a Selle SMP full carbon lite as some said it was more comfortable than the forma, it's not as it's way too hard with no flex.

I have an infinity saddle in the post and I'm looking at both the lupina and the MCFK open saddle. The rounded shape of the MCFK looks nice. Has anyone used both of these and could provide a comparison.

Also does this forum have a private sales section? Sometimes when I google products results come up but I can't access them.

Cheers
How did the Infinity work out? I have one which I'm in the process of setting up using the method supplied by Dr Vince.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Dat wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:27 am
I've struggled with saddles for years. I have issues with going numb and in 300k+ rides it hurts to pee. This issue was solved with an SMP forma but there not what I'd describe as comfortable. I've done many long rides of 600k but wouldn't fancy doing too much more on one.

I bought a Selle SMP full carbon lite as some said it was more comfortable than the forma, it's not as it's way too hard with no flex.

I have an infinity saddle in the post and I'm looking at both the lupina and the MCFK open saddle. The rounded shape of the MCFK looks nice. Has anyone used both of these and could provide a comparison.

Also does this forum have a private sales section? Sometimes when I google products results come up but I can't access them.

Cheers
If you ride crazy long hours in the saddle, i don't think anyone can tell you what saddle you should go for... I have tried almost 30 saddles and the one i like best isn't what i expected. I'd say finding the right saddle has been a really long road. I like stiff saddles and SQ Lab One12 bibshorts. My favorite saddle is Ceetec C1 fibre cover soft.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

If I were doing 600k rides I would not be doing it on a full carbon saddle!😲
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

i did a 19-hour ride last year (510km), i did it on a prologo dimension (most basic solid steel rails version). i think it's not just the saddle, i do think the synergy between saddle and bibs are at play.

during my practice run up to that, i tried assos S9, rapha pro team, rapha powereave. the powerweave was selected at the end.

i think for such a long ride, backend reservation is more important than anything. for example, during practice runs (250-300km) i forced myself to get into the habbit of getting out of saddle at least once every 10 mins. even for a short 3-5 seconds, just to give the back end a bit of a rest. even after 19-hours, i rode 200km the following day without much pain/discomfort.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I finally got a modern carbon bike Colnago C64 to complement my Richard Sachs road and Peter Weigle rando. Both steel bikes were best served by heavy Berthoud Aravis Titanium (410gm) in style and in comfort. However, I wanted something more modern and light for the Colnago.

I took a gamble on MCFK Padded Open Leather covered in 140mm, and have ridden it on consecutive days for 2 hour and 3 hour rides. It felt comfortable and has decent shape for me. While not quite disappeared, but was surprisingly good for what I was prepared to tolerate for the style and weight loss it offered. I will progressivelly take it to longer rides and report back, but so far happy with the investment.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I finally got a modern carbon bike Colnago C64 to complement my Richard Sachs road and Peter Weigle rando. Both steel bikes were best served by heavy Berthoud Aravis Titanium (410gm) in style and in comfort. However, I wanted something more modern and light for the Colnago.

I took a gamble on MCFK Padded Open Leather covered in 140mm, and have ridden it on consecutive days for 2 hour and 3 hour rides. It felt comfortable and has decent shape for me. While not quite disappeared, but was surprisingly good for what I was prepared to tolerate for the style and weight loss it offered. I will progressively take out on longer rides and report back. So far happy with the investment.

AgMar

by AgMar

Saddles are a personal thing of course, so take this with a pinch of salt. Have two Lupina(s), a round rail and an oval version for 2 years. The round rail version recently broke and Berk was good enough to replace it, so thumbs up to their warranty. Oval version still going strong. I've used them for rides of about 235km, multiple days and it works for me. The Lupina curves upwards ever so slightly at the back. I've got the 150mm version and my sit bones measurement is 132mm. Another one I've used and as mentioned are the saddles from SQ Lab. I've got the 612 and it's good, more affordable than the Lupina, but of course not anywhere as light weight. If you're getting pressure at the front, you may want to consider a cut out channel, which the Lupina has or the dimple depression of the SQ Lab; I don't think the Mcfk saddles have a cut out or dimple. Also consider saddle tilt; I'm a bit obsessive about ensuring tilt is level or no more than 1 degree downwards, never upwards which puts pressure on the front bits.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 am
i did a 19-hour ride last year (510km), i did it on a prologo dimension (most basic solid steel rails version). i think it's not just the saddle, i do think the synergy between saddle and bibs are at play.

during my practice run up to that, i tried assos S9, rapha pro team, rapha powereave. the powerweave was selected at the end.

i think for such a long ride, backend reservation is more important than anything. for example, during practice runs (250-300km) i forced myself to get into the habbit of getting out of saddle at least once every 10 mins. even for a short 3-5 seconds, just to give the back end a bit of a rest. even after 19-hours, i rode 200km the following day without much pain/discomfort.
Shiet, you are my idol.... 19 hours... god dang :shock:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bernard34

by bernard34

I wanted to change my carbon saddle because of the same issue... a lot of friction on my legs !
I finally chose the Coco-Design. It is perfect for me, the saddle is very well done.
(picture from their fb account)
Capture.JPG

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:10 am
WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 am

Shiet, you are my idol.... 19 hours... god dang :shock:
thanks, lol. i had a baby on the way at the time, i thought last winter may be the last chance i get to do something crazy for a while. :mrgreen:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com