Sram Red/Force AXS compatible oval chainrings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

young wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:44 am

now have 44 ab gravel oval 5x110 10-33 on r5
Is this the chainring you have? I notice the AB website says "10, 11 and 12 speed compatible" but I thought the pitch of the 12 speed chain was different and therefore a chain and chainring couldnt fit BOTH 11spd and 12spd drivetrains?

https://absoluteblack.cc/gravel-1x-oval ... chainring/
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

DaveS

by DaveS

All bike chains have the same 1/2 inch pitch. What's missing is recommendation of the best chain for these rings. The wolftooth website explains why shimano 12 chains are different. 1x needs are different than 2x.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilbobogeins

by bilbobogeins

Does anyone make chainrings that will play nice with an Ultegra cassette and derailer when using a AXS crank with power meter

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I'm looking at a used bike with SRAM AXS but the cranks are too long, ideally I need 165mm. If I fit a shimano bb, ultegra cranks with AB oval rings, will this work with the SRAM flat top chain?
Only viable alternative is to fit SRAM cranks with round rings initially, and then wait on AB producing ovals for them, but the problem is stock of 165mm SRAM cranks seems almost non existent, hence me wanting to use my current Ultegra 🤔

DaveS

by DaveS

Shimano 11 speed rings will work with axs, as will grx rings. Ask AB about their ring compatibility with the axs chain. There's also the possibility of using a Campy 12 chain or a shimano 12 chain. The axs chain works with Campy chain rings.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

DaveS wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:58 pm
Shimano 11 speed rings will work with axs, as will grx rings. Ask AB about their ring compatibility with the axs chain. There's also the possibility of using a Campy 12 chain or a shimano 12 chain. The axs chain works with Campy chain rings.
Thanks for that, cheers

FreeZ

by FreeZ

Any long term experiences with AB oval?

andy4g63

by andy4g63

BianchiDave wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:27 am
I'm looking at a used bike with SRAM AXS but the cranks are too long, ideally I need 165mm. If I fit a shimano bb, ultegra cranks with AB oval rings, will this work with the SRAM flat top chain?
Only viable alternative is to fit SRAM cranks with round rings initially, and then wait on AB producing ovals for them, but the problem is stock of 165mm SRAM cranks seems almost non existent, hence me wanting to use my current Ultegra 🤔
As I mentioned in the previous page,
You can use Shimano cranks with Rotor AXS rings.

They have oval and round.
50-37; 48-35t.

I have on my bike 48/35 oval and the shifting is great.

Look at the photo too.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

andy4g63 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:34 pm

As I mentioned in the previous page,
You can use Shimano cranks with Rotor AXS rings.

They have oval and round.
50-37; 48-35t.

I have on my bike 48/35 oval and the shifting is great.

Look at the photo too.
Never bought the bike in the end, too much hassle and compromise, so bought a new Addict RC instead :D

Andy13

by Andy13

Andy4G63, or anyone else, have any advice for setting up AXS with 2X oval rings? I'm probably out of luck but was hoping to get 11s Rotor Rings, 34/46 to work. I'm currently using the SRAM flat top chain and having issues dialing it in. I've set up 11s SRAM 2x successfully in the past and know it's finicky. Current setup is shifting well when the chain is in the middle of the cogset, otherwise either not shifting or throwing the chain. I'm wondering if I'll get better shifting with the newer version of the KMC chain? Or am I going to have to go back to round chainrings. I really like the gearing with 34/46. Unfortunately I can't find oval rings combos that state compatibilty in lower chainring counts.