New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zirxo

by zirxo

So, DHL managed to send my frameset back to the shop instead of delivering it to me. But at least it's not gone missing.
The shop has said UPS has picked it up now so I'm hoping for a quick delivery of it by UPS so that I can finally build it up!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Austin

by Austin

I pulled the trigger and bought an Advanced Pro 1 disc. It'll be delivered in a month and a half.

As how excited as I am, one detail irks me: the wheels. The new 2021 SLR-1 42mm are hookless, tubeless only, 23mm wide externally, and officially support a very limited tire selection.
What are some feedback regarding those wheels?

I'm hesitating between selling them and buying a LightBicycle wheelset, or swapping the rims in favor of LightBicycle rims. What do you advise?

morganb

by morganb

Austin wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm
I pulled the trigger and bought an Advanced Pro 1 disc. It'll be delivered in a month and a half.

As how excited as I am, one detail irks me: the wheels. The new 2021 SLR-1 42mm are hookless, tubeless only, 23mm wide externally, and officially support a very limited tire selection.

I'm hesitating between selling them and buying a LightBicycle wheelset, or swapping the rims in favor of LightBicycle rims. What do you advise?
I'm planning LB wheels for mine. I'm not sure what hubs the SLR are using and if they are worth saving. Not a huge fan of hookless for road.

BBres

by BBres

morganb wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:53 pm
Austin wrote:

I'm planning LB wheels for mine. I'm not sure what hubs the SLR are using and if they are worth saving. Not a huge fan of hookless for road.
morganb wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:53 pm
Austin wrote:

The wheels spin properly, no issues with the hubs nor with the tires. When riding I cannot tell any difference between the standard clincher tires (with the hooked rim).

mamaphil

by mamaphil

Austin wrote:

What tires do you want to be running and what pressures? I am running IRC Formula Pro X-Guards on them even though they are not on the approved list, but I am running pressure of 80 PSI max.

The Formula Pros are on an approved Enve wheel list (which is also hookless) and I am kinda taking a risk but haven't had any issues yet after 300km on mediocre roads.
Giant TCR Pro 0 - 2020
Norco Optic XT - 2021

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My buddy just ordered a pair of Giant SLR 1 42mm disk hookeless wheels. Anyone know if Enve's new SES tubeless tires are compatible with these wheels? Enve lists their tires as compatible with hookeless wheels while Giant does not list Enve tires compatible with their hookless wheels.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

The Enve's will probably work but don't expect Giant to cover them in case of a crash. Giant Germany basically pointed me to the list of tested tires on their website and remarked 'If you use a tire not on that list with our wheels, you're on your own' when I inquired about Pirelli P Zeros.

Edit: Just noticed that Pirelli now marks the 24c and 26c P Zero TLR as not compatible with hookless rims. That wasn't the case when I wrote to Giant about those tires.

Austin

by Austin

mamaphil wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:15 am
Austin wrote:

What tires do you want to be running and what pressures? I am running IRC Formula Pro X-Guards on them even though they are not on the approved list, but I am running pressure of 80 PSI max.

The Formula Pros are on an approved Enve wheel list (which is also hookless) and I am kinda taking a risk but haven't had any issues yet after 300km on mediocre roads.
Well ideally I'd be running GP5000. I don't have an extensive experience in tires as I've have ridden Continental my whole life.

Width wise I would like to go 25mm and 28mm front/rear. With a 23mm external rim, I doubt it would be optimal.

neomoz

by neomoz

bedampft wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:03 pm
mistergoober wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:13 am
Variant Seatpost is a paint and makes noise. I have tried putting carbon paste on the interfacing parts and regular grease on the internal parts, seems to help for a week or two. Tightening alone doesn't fix it, need to loosen, move post around and tighten and the noise goes away again. Might try some loctite next on the bolt.
Got the exact same issue with my Pro Disc, and sadly haven't got a solution as of yet. Really annoying.
I recently got a TCR pro team and I'm going through this same problem too, I've noticed the creak occurs when my weight on the saddle moves side to side, your weight shifts left to right when you peddle at times and that's when I hear it, front to back movement makes no noise.

I took the seatpost clamp out and put grease between the moving parts, that kept things quiet for half a ride and the noise came back, I saw comments about the noise coming from the screw thread, so I'll try greasing the bolt better, but it's extremely annoying you'd think they'd get these wedge clamps right after all this time, besides that the bike is a dream to ride.

Cloudberrie

by Cloudberrie

]
Austin wrote:

I have the LightBicycle WR50 on my TCR and R88 on my Shiv. The TCR is set up tubeless with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TT, and the Shiv has tubes with 28mm Vittoria Corsas. Both measure up wide, between 31-32mm when inflated. I run them at 65psi tubeless and 75psi tube. Both they are comfortable over bumpy roads.
IMG_20210314_111248.jpg

mamaphil

by mamaphil

Austin wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:29 pm
mamaphil wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:15 am
Austin wrote:

Well ideally I'd be running GP5000. I don't have an extensive experience in tires as I've have ridden Continental my whole life.

Width wise I would like to go 25mm and 28mm front/rear. With a 23mm external rim, I doubt it would be optimal.

Don't run GP5000 on the 2021 SLR 1 wheels. I love those tires as well, but they stretch and balloon over time to the point where they will be unsafe for hookless rims. If that's a deal breaker, sell the SLR 1 wheels and go with Light Bicycle or Hunt
Giant TCR Pro 0 - 2020
Norco Optic XT - 2021

Austin

by Austin

mamaphil wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:57 pm
Don't run GP5000 on the 2021 SLR 1 wheels. I love those tires as well, but they stretch and balloon over time to the point where they will be unsafe for hookless rims. If that's a deal breaker, sell the SLR 1 wheels and go with Light Bicycle or Hunt
Both Giant and Continental advised against riding GP5000 on hookless rims. I do not have a death wish, so I will not.

I'm open to the idea of Schwalbe Pro One or TT. The biggest issue for me is the profile of the rim. 23mm wide externally doesn't nicely support the tires nor allows to have aero 25mm tires mounted on it.

morganb

by morganb

Cloudberrie wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:45 pm
]
Austin wrote:

I have the LightBicycle WR50 on my TCR and R88 on my Shiv. The TCR is set up tubeless with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TT, and the Shiv has tubes with 28mm Vittoria Corsas. Both measure up wide, between 31-32mm when inflated. I run them at 65psi tubeless and 75psi tube. Both they are comfortable over bumpy roads.
IMG_20210314_111248.jpg
Have you ridden this with a more conventional width wheel or only the WR50? I am very torn between these and the AR55. It's going to be a race bike for me but we also have very broken up roads for about 40% of my races plus my local roads are terrible surface. If the internal width was slightly narrower on the WR it would be an easy choice because I could still run 25mm tires for good surface races.

Cloudberrie

by Cloudberrie

morganb wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Have you ridden this with a more conventional width wheel or only the WR50? I am very torn between these and the AR55. It's going to be a race bike for me but we also have very broken up roads for about 40% of my races plus my local roads are terrible surface. If the internal width was slightly narrower on the WR it would be an easy choice because I could still run 25mm tires for good surface races.
For the current set tubeless set up, i have only ran this WR50 and the Schwalbe Pro 1 TT combi. However, i have ran the Schwalbe Pro 1 on other narrow OEM wheels both in 25mm and 28mm width previously, but they were all ran with tubes. No issues with them.

I think LB does list Schwalbe 25mm tyre for the WR50, which will inflate to 29.04mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neomoz

by neomoz

neomoz wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:07 am
bedampft wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:03 pm
mistergoober wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:13 am
Variant Seatpost is a paint and makes noise. I have tried putting carbon paste on the interfacing parts and regular grease on the internal parts, seems to help for a week or two. Tightening alone doesn't fix it, need to loosen, move post around and tighten and the noise goes away again. Might try some loctite next on the bolt.
Got the exact same issue with my Pro Disc, and sadly haven't got a solution as of yet. Really annoying.
I recently got a TCR pro team and I'm going through this same problem too, I've noticed the creak occurs when my weight on the saddle moves side to side, your weight shifts left to right when you peddle at times and that's when I hear it, front to back movement makes no noise.

I took the seatpost clamp out and put grease between the moving parts, that kept things quiet for half a ride and the noise came back, I saw comments about the noise coming from the screw thread, so I'll try greasing the bolt better, but it's extremely annoying you'd think they'd get these wedge clamps right after all this time, besides that the bike is a dream to ride.
Further experimentation with my saddle clamp creaking woes.

After trying grease/carbon paste, greasing the wedges, bolt. The creak will not go away if you torque to 7nm.

I found if you hand tighten lightly the creak disappears completely but at that light torque there is a little bit of post slip. I've settled on 4nm right now, this avoids any post slip and removes 95% of the creaking, I have heard it every now and then but for the most part it's quiet during normal pedalling.

I have no idea what's causing this, but it's related to the amount of torque. I have no idea if the wedge itself is defective or if where the wedge clamp sits in the frame is out of spec, the fact several people here have it says to me it's a design fault in the wedge design, everyone here seems to be torqing the bolt to the 7nm on the wedge which might be too high, not sure but it certainly feels that way.