New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CyclistFromQuebec

by CyclistFromQuebec

ftpdonuts wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:04 pm
Just got off the phone with the LBS here in CO and was quoted a mid-May delivery for an Advanced Pro 0 in medium....hmm I am very temped if that delivery estimate is realistic.

Surprisingly, he said his rep had no timeline for rim brake SL frameset availability. This is one of the other options I'm considering but figured availability would be better, not worse on those! Does this match what those who work in the industry / USA have been hearing?
Woa that's lucky! I went to my LBS here in Montreal to get an ETA on https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/tcr-a ... -disc-2021 in Medium and I got nothing before August and most likely end of september... At this point I'm willing to just get any climbing bike that's going to be available in my size but so far no luck with Giant, Trek, Specialized at all my LBSs. Unless I'm willing to wait until Fall of course...

rick222

by rick222

neomoz wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:42 am
Been riding my new TCR pro disc team for a few days now, this is my first disc road bike. TCR is a smooth ride compared to my S3 and older CR1, feels stiff though in the bottom bracket on hard efforts/climbs, fantastic riding bike very happy with the ride quality.

I have noticed though there is still some disc rub on out of saddle hard efforts, I have tightened my through axels as tight as they can go and centered my disc calipers. Is the flex in the hub of the wheel that causes that rub? The clearance for the disc and pad is like barely 1mm, it doesn't feel like my power is being sapped, you just hear this light scraping sound.

I know the disc brake thing is contentious, but just curious to hear from other TCR riders if this is kinda normal for the TCR with SLR1 wheels.
Get a disc brake feeler guage such as the one made by Hayes and use it when centering the pads. Disc brakes are generally a pain to deal with at times

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darrydonds

by darrydonds

CyclistFromQuebec wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:08 pm
ftpdonuts wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:04 pm
Just got off the phone with the LBS here in CO and was quoted a mid-May delivery for an Advanced Pro 0 in medium....hmm I am very temped if that delivery estimate is realistic.

Surprisingly, he said his rep had no timeline for rim brake SL frameset availability. This is one of the other options I'm considering but figured availability would be better, not worse on those! Does this match what those who work in the industry / USA have been hearing?
Woa that's lucky! I went to my LBS here in Montreal to get an ETA on https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/tcr-a ... -disc-2021 in Medium and I got nothing before August and most likely end of september... At this point I'm willing to just get any climbing bike that's going to be available in my size but so far no luck with Giant, Trek, Specialized at all my LBSs. Unless I'm willing to wait until Fall of course...
Bummer. Which LBS? Cycle Campus had a bunch of Adv Pro 1 (including Team edition) during the winter. All gone now.
It's the worst year for people looking for a new bike.

dton13

by dton13

Can anyone comment on whether the Advanced SL (ISP) framesets come with the necessary di2 battery hardware for storing in the ISP? I have one incoming next week and wondering if I need to purchase the extra part. Thanks

js

by js

Yes they do. Pretty much every Giant does - at least from the Adv Pro level and up.

dton13

by dton13

Thanks js - cheers

Cloudberrie

by Cloudberrie

dton13 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 pm
Can anyone comment on whether the Advanced SL (ISP) framesets come with the necessary di2 battery hardware for storing in the ISP? I have one incoming next week and wondering if I need to purchase the extra part. Thanks
yup, the di2 battery wedge comes with. i can confirm these was the parts i received when i got my SL frameset in Feb.

- seattube di2 battery wedge
- headset top cap, shims/washers & aero spacers
- stem cap & bolt
- steerer expander
- front & rear thru axle with 1 handle
- rubber groomets for brake hooses & Di2 & AXS
- RideSense sensor & magnet
- short & tall ISP clamps with bolts
- stem headunit mount with adapter for garmin/wahoo/giant

dton13

by dton13

Good to know. Thanks for the comprehensive list cloud!

CharlieDG

by CharlieDG

Hey all- I've got a Canyon CP10 cockpit I was debating putting onto my TCR '21 build. The cockpit has the white Canyon decals, so might look out of place on the Giant. Would you guys put this cockpit on your TCR? Also, I usually use 40cm bars and this cockpit is 39cm (not sure why Canyon does 39,41,43 etc- if anyone knows, let me know). Will I notice a big difference moving from 40cm to 39cm in terms of fit/ride feel?

dolophonic

by dolophonic

haha .. i used my canyon carbon bars on my TCR too. .. works fine. One thing to check when i comes to bar width is are the measurments center to center or outside to outside ?
as fo 39 to 40 .. no a big jump should be fine especially if you have the 39 bars already. run what you brung. :thumbup:

MeanDurphey

by MeanDurphey

I finally received my TCR on March 12th 2021. Ordered through my LBS on July 11th 2020. It is definitely worth the 8 month wait.

ImageGiant TCR 002 by Dean Murphey, on Flickr

ImageGiant TCR 003 by Dean Murphey, on Flickr

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

We should really have a sticky at the beginning of every bike thread with important information. Like weight. Aero Drag. Etc.

Took my 53 pages to find the weight for the TCR Advanced vs. Advanced Pro (it's 30 grams heavier due to fork). Search function doesn't really help.

But I did just pull the trigger on the Giant Advanced 2. Picking it up tomorrow. Coming from a Canyon Ultimate CF SL. Wanted a lighter bike frame and something to play with until they launch the new Ultimate some time in the next 2 years. Ha. Moving over my Red eTap groupset, and carbon wheels. Looking at a 200 grams savings moving from the Ultimate to the Giant Advanced (Lowest level!!). Crazy.

dton13

by dton13

Alright she’s built up and sparkles. Does anyone know of someone making custom ISP toppers? The stock one (even short) is HEAVY at 103g. My old darimo seatpost is only 63g!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shotgun1

by shotgun1

dton13 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:07 pm
Alright she’s built up and sparkles. Does anyone know of someone making custom ISP toppers? The stock one (even short) is HEAVY at 103g. My old darimo seatpost is only 63g!
Congratulations on the build! The current topper has actually gone on a diet already. It used to be around 150g. They now have carbon bits, which I'm assuming is where the savings are coming from. I recall an old post on WW, someone was planning to shave weight off the older toppers, but it'll hard to pull off more from the current one.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pacaalpaca

by pacaalpaca

My 2021 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0.

I actually saw on the giant website that my size (M/L) was in stock all the way in TN (I am in CA). I called one of those shops an they were willing to ship the bike to a Giant dealer here. They charged $100 to pack, shipping was another $180, and the shop in CA charged $160 for "assembly" (which was basically put the handlebars on and add sealant, not happy about that!). I also lose out on the "bought at an LBS" perks like free tunes.

I am coming from a Fuji SL and a Giant Defy. The TCR is a beast, so fast, although not as comfortable as the Defy on longer rides. Very well built. The wheels are very nice, tho the tires are meh - I switched out tires for Vittorias.

The power meter was reading high, so I re-installed the crank and the power meter started reading normal. No problems here - free PM!
PXL_20210326_224714832.jpg