New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

tunaseng wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:24 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:02 pm
tunaseng wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 pm
Weber wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:39 pm
Hi all,

Adv tcr 2021, can someone tell me if the housing is missing or do they come like this? Left side of the bike.

hijacking your photo. Apologies on that.

I have that grommet at the side but it cant seem to fit in a di2 cable and brake hose. How do you guys run your cables?

My bike is taking shape now. Still a little on the heavy side at 7.4kg (pedals, computer/gopro mount, bottle cages included)

What should I upgrade to further reduce? My setup as below.

1. Giant TCR advance pro 2021 size XS
2. SLR1 hookless with schwalbe TLE
3. Ultegra di2 50-34/11-28T R8070
4. Spesh inspired power saddle 135g with carbon rails
5. lightweight thru axle from ebay, cant remember the brand
6. Pro vibe aero carbon bar 38mm
7. OG-evkin computer mount
8. 18grams bontrager cages X 2 piece
9. Sigeyi RD hanger
10. 105 pedals
11. Ciclovation bar tape with pro vibe gel pads underneath

Feel the next weak link is the od2 stock contact SL stem 80mm. Any equivalent of the lightweight UNO stem that is budget friendly yet fits OD2 to reccomend?
The 105 pedals have to go, you need something incredibly light with titanium spindles.

Lighter disks maybe?

You could get a glue in fork expander, not sure if Giant still sell them, and titanium screws everywhere. Everywhere.

If you want to go to more effort a Yeoleo H10 integrated bar/stem (OD2 compatible).
Thanks for the reply. Any reccomendations on the ti spindle pedals?

I am looking at the xtr disc so that might be a good way to lose some weight over the ultegra discs.

Fork expander by Giant? never heard of that though.. any picture?

The yeoleo H10 doesnt come in 80mm stem... my short arms arent gonna make it .
It's called an AirCap Expander:

https://bobs-bicycles.com/shop/componen ... er-system/

I have Look Blade pedals with titanium spindles, not cheap but at least they are light. Some people won't move away from Shimano cleats though.

Check the reach of the H10 bars, it might be shorter than the Shimano vibe pros, so you could have a 90mm stem.

Could also look at a lightweight KMC chain, every little helps.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raimundo

by Raimundo

tunaseng wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 pm
Weber wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:39 pm
Hi all,

Adv tcr 2021, can someone tell me if the housing is missing or do they come like this? Left side of the bike.

hijacking your photo. Apologies on that.

I have that grommet at the side but it cant seem to fit in a di2 cable and brake hose. How do you guys run your cables?
If you look closely that grommet has an oval shaped hole, both the brake hose and the Di2 cable go into the same hole, one next to the other.

You have to wrestle that MoFo into place, the edges of an old credit card and some soapy water can help you nudge the grommet in, as does wiggling the hose back and forth at the same time. Be prepared to sweat a bit if you want a good result...

Midstar

by Midstar

Ordered an TCR Advanced SL0 Dura ace, and wil be in production in week 48, delivery should be in januari.
Very curious about the 12sp.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:02 am
darrydonds wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:11 pm
My final point stands: either you trust that the industy did its due diligence and made sure the products are reasonably safe, or you believe there's a multi-company conspiracy to push for hookless when they don't know yet if it's safe enough for consumers.

"we will probably stay near the edge of what is safe for 99% of cases"

Practically nothing is totally safe for 100% of cases.
There's a lot of simplification and extrapolation going on bere, both about product design and whether I've considered the things you're saying.

There's no conspiracy to push unsafe product, obviously. Clearly what's happening though, is that there isn't yet enough conspiracy to make them safe and compatible (i.e. creating a singular standard that everyone adheres to).

Again something about scale. There is a huge gap between 99% and 100% in the land of safety management. Nothing is 100% safe (didn't imply it should be) but 99% is unacceptable in almost all industries, which usually aim for 3-6 sigma confidence intervals depending on how they're defined. You're giving the general consumer too much credit, by the way. My wife bought a Trek road bike from a local Trek dealer earlier this year. Tire label om her 32mm Bonti tires clearly say 80psi max. Noticed it was at 100psi when we got home, pumped by a trained mechanic. Companies have to assume a certain level of negligence or ignorance by general consumers. I'm not saying they should design for 150psi, but blowing off road tires at 100 psi while riding should not be acceptable when consumers are used to that pressure and will not all read/follow the 73psi disclaimer.
This horse has been beaten to death by now and we are going in circles so this will be my last reply to this.

"Clearly what's happening though, is that there isn't yet enough conspiracy to make them safe and compatible (i.e. creating a singular standard that everyone adheres to)."

Not sure where the "clearly" comes from. As far as I know, there is no incident forcing to conclude that the design was unsafe. Also, there IS a standard.

"There is a huge gap between 99% and 100% in the land of safety management. Nothing is 100% safe (didn't imply it should be) but 99% is unacceptable in almost all industries"

The "99%" was just a number you pulled somewhere. We don't what the real risk those companies determined and what limit they deemed acceptable. So your point there is moot.

"Noticed it was at 100psi when we got home, pumped by a trained mechanic. Companies have to assume a certain level of negligence or ignorance by general consumers."

There will always be someone somewhere who will display ignorance and negligence no matter what. Someone somewhere will pump their max 80psi tires to 110psi. Should those tires resist 110psi instead of 100psi then? What about the guys who used to pump theirs to 120psi? Someone somewhere blindly pumping their new tires to whatever pressure (because that's what they have always done) without looking at sidewall markings. You can't save all of them from their own stupidity.

Kafuu

by Kafuu

Hey everyone, my 2021 advanced pro disc 1 will be delivered within the next few weeks and I was wondering what size bolts the stem mount take. I'm looking to purchase an f3 form mount with ti bolts but don't know whether or not to buy 35mm or 40mm. Thank you.

Spacemedic

by Spacemedic

Midstar wrote:Ordered an TCR Advanced SL0 Dura ace, and wil be in production in week 48, delivery should be in januari.
Are you in the US? I can’t order 2021 or 2022 models.

Midstar

by Midstar

Spacemedic wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:41 pm
Midstar wrote:Ordered an TCR Advanced SL0 Dura ace, and wil be in production in week 48, delivery should be in januari.
No, i,m from Holland

Spacemedic

by Spacemedic

Midstar wrote:
Spacemedic wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:41 pm
No, i,m from Holland
Ah ok. Hope you enjoy the bike!

Samson

by Samson

CharlieDG wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:48 am
tcxuzuo wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:13 am
CharlieDG wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 am

Finally recieved and built up my new TCR frameset. Spec as follows-
Frame- TCR Advanced Pro Disc size L
Groupset- Ultegra 8070 Di2
Pedals- Ultegra 8000
Wheels- Giant SLR1 42mm
Tyres- Giant Gavia Race 25c (set up tubeless with Orange Endurance sealant)
Bars- Giant Contact SL 40mm
Stem- Giant Contact 100mm
Saddle- Fabric Line Pro
Cages- Canyon CF SL
Left crank power meter- 4iiii Shimano 105

Weight without pedals, cages and Giant Garmin mount- 7.55kg
Weight with- 7.88kg
Loving this bike. Feels super fast, stiff and responsive but also smooth and comfortable. All cycling cliches but they really do apply here. Bike is heavier than I'd like, which doesn't affect performance given the frame's stiffness and how good the wheels are but I'd like it lighter. I can certainly lose some grams in the cockpit area. I have the basic Giant Contact stem (not the SL version). I'd also like to change to Dura Ace rotors. Let me know what you guys think!
what is the saddle height please
78cm
Do you know the maximum saddle height please?

ColinB

by ColinB

Hey everyone, new here.

Been using this site for some time which has been a brilliant help.

Looking at picking up a new TCR. My LBS has the Advanced Pro 2 in stock which I'm going to look at. However I am able to get hold of the Advanced Pro 1 rim brake version. Just wondering if any of you have the rim brake version and how well the carbon wheels work from a braking point of view?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

just checking, anyone here who is using the DI2 FD without using the steel support plate that comes originally?

I'd assume since the FD braze on tab on the side is rather thick you may get away without using it by just resting the support bolt on the side tab instead?

IvanZg

by IvanZg

MagicShite wrote:just checking, anyone here who is using the DI2 FD without using the steel support plate that comes originally?

I'd assume since the FD braze on tab on the side is rather thick you may get away without using it by just resting the support bolt on the side tab instead?
Yep, it's not an issues. That small bolt contacts metal part of FD carrier so metal piece supplied by Shimano is redundant.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

wltz

by wltz

MagicShite wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:21 am
just checking, anyone here who is using the DI2 FD without using the steel support plate that comes originally?

Had the same question when I got a Revolt frame with no room for a backing plate. Built it at last: turns out the r8050 FD shifts just as fast without the plate.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

The steel support plate is just to protect the frame. If the support bolt rests on the tab then that is fine ;-)

I wouldn't want to have it rest against my carbon frame, but the braze on tab is no problem.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

thanks for the reply folks. appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com