New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neomoz

by neomoz

darrydonds wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:14 am
Yeah, those Course 1 are quite heavy. Those tyres account for almost all the weight difference between the TRC Adv Pro 0 and Pro 1/Pro Team (about 200g).

Some good news :beerchug: : looks like a new Conti Grand Prix model is just around the corner and it supports hookless tyres! The max pressure for hookless is 73PSI, so it should in theory be compatible with SLR-1 wheels of the new TCR.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/spotted ... t-roubaix/

(The tyre is also being discussed in the "Everything Wheels" section of this forum.)
Yes I just saw these tyres pop up in my youtube feed, very curious on SLR-1 compatibility. I'm assuming the 28mm ones will work around 70-75psi just fine. I would assume conti worked with Giant on these news tyres to ensure the bead doesn't stretch like the older ones did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neomoz

by neomoz

Peak torque posted a video on the recent issue I had with the garmin mount. I felt it was a safety issue and it was a noticable improvement in handlebar stiffness with the mount removed.

He actually had the handlebars slip on him though. It's a bit of a worry, safety risk is real imo.

shotgun1

by shotgun1

DCcyclist wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Thanks so much. Did they say anything about the price?
In comes out to a little under US$500
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

iamraymond

by iamraymond

neomoz wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:39 am
Peak torque posted a video on the recent issue I had with the garmin mount. I felt it was a safety issue and it was a noticable improvement in handlebar stiffness with the mount removed.

He actually had the handlebars slip on him though. It's a bit of a worry, safety risk is real imo.

Looks like Peak Torque, Youtube or Giant took down that video. I watched it before it was taken down and was a bit worried to be honest since I am using that same mount. I just saw your posts regarding the two rubber rings behind the stem. I actually still had those mounted on my bike and I just took them off as a precaution. I've been using the mount on my Kalloy Uno for several months now and never had any creaking or bars slipping, but it makes sense that they should not be installed. I wonder if Peak Torque had the rubber rings installed on his bike.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

iamraymond wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:50 pm
Looks like Peak Torque, Youtube or Giant took down that video. I watched it before it was taken down and was a bit worried to be honest since I am using that same mount. I just saw your posts regarding the two rubber rings behind the stem. I actually still had those mounted on my bike and I just took them off as a precaution. I've been using the mount on my Kalloy Uno for several months now and never had any creaking or bars slipping, but it makes sense that they should not be installed. I wonder if Peak Torque had the rubber rings installed on his bike.
If you get an assembled bike those O rings will be installed. Or at least they were on my bike. No slippage tho.

Giants' bars have short reach. If he's using something with longer reach (looks like he's big/heavy) torque might be just enough to have them slip under right circumstances.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Many years ago I tried a cheapo ebay sourced out front Garmin mount that came with plastic spacers to sit between the stem face plate and the mounting screw heads. The plastic spacers failed very quickly and visibily when 5-6nm of torque was applied to the screws to secure the Garmin mount to the face plate. I didn't even ride the bike.

I changed the plastic spacers for steel and no problems since.

Do yeah, I can believe an all plastic Garmin mount could have similar issues, unless it's very tough and/or selectively reinforced with metal.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Klein

by Klein

dexe wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:39 pm
The first thing I notice is an XS (so 6 frame sizes instead of 5!!). The S seems to be slightly bigger than the current S, while the XS seemingly takes the spot for riders @ 165, maybe to 170/172 instead of 175?
Sizes has been changed so much over the years..

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Maybe Peak Torque left the o'rings on there also, or undertorqued the assembly (pun intended) , i would imagine that if his perspective/video showed zero faults from his part, the video would still be online...

And the spacers/bolt sleeves on the Giant computer mount are made out of metal, as are the bonded inserts on the base of the mount... when mounted correctly there is no non-metallic material between the bolt head and the stem face plate to compress and give way to slippage.

koermer

by koermer

Anyone know where I could get the new seatpost clamp (the 4.5 Nm one) other than directly from Giant? Anyone come across any online retailers?
My bike shop where I bought my TCR is unable to source one for me :(

Raimundo

by Raimundo

koermer wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:13 pm
Anyone know where I could get the new seatpost clamp (the 4.5 Nm one) other than directly from Giant? Anyone come across any online retailers?
My bike shop where I bought my TCR is unable to source one for me :(
If you're in europe:

https://www.bike-onlineshop.de/Teile-Ko ... 00102&p=87

https://veloseine.fr/11600155-serrage-d ... -2021.html

The photos on both websites seem to be from the previous version, but the part number (150000102) looks like the correct one. I might be wrong, so it wouldn't hurt to give them a call, just to be sure...

darrydonds

by darrydonds

neomoz wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:54 am
Yes I just saw these tyres pop up in my youtube feed, very curious on SLR-1 compatibility. I'm assuming the 28mm ones will work around 70-75psi just fine. I would assume conti worked with Giant on these news tyres to ensure the bead doesn't stretch like the older ones did.
It should be implied that they are compatible unless Giant specifically lists them as incompatible because these tyres have max 73psi for hookless wheels written on the sidewalls, and Giant's website states:

"Please note that if the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall of a tire is below 72.5psi (5 bar), the tire is tubeless compatible, and is not indicated as being incompatible with hookless rims, it can be used with Giant hookless WheelSystems and does not have to appear on the chart below [...]"

darrydonds

by darrydonds

neomoz wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:39 am

I would be surprised if those rubber o-rings alone caused the sudden slippage. The recommended torque must have a safety margin included. So it's likely that he "undertorqued" his to begin with.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Raimundo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:00 pm
Maybe Peak Torque left the o'rings on there also, or undertorqued the assembly (pun intended) , i would imagine that if his perspective/video showed zero faults from his part, the video would still be online...

And the spacers/bolt sleeves on the Giant computer mount are made out of metal, as are the bonded inserts on the base of the mount... when mounted correctly there is no non-metallic material between the bolt head and the stem face plate to compress and give way to slippage.
You're probably right that the video was wrong and Peak Torque took it down himself.

I confirmed that the spacer and the base of the mount which interfaces with the bolt/spacer are metal. I've been really happy with this mount so I'm glad I can continue to use it without worrying about safety.
Attachments
IMG_3483.jpg
IMG_3484.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg

Raimundo

by Raimundo

iamraymond wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:34 pm
Raimundo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:00 pm

You're probably right that the video was wrong and Peak Torque took it down himself.

I confirmed that the spacer and the base of the mount which interfaces with the bolt/spacer are metal. I've been really happy with this mount so I'm glad I can continue to use it without worrying about safety.
Indeed, great piece of kit, even adjustable in depth to match bigger or smaller computers. And weights very little, could be made even lighter if you changed the OEM bolts to titanium and the metal plate on the underside to a carbon one. :mrgreen:

Only downside i can see is that it doesn't fit my Canyon's V13 stem, and therefore probably a couple of other stems where the bottom faceplate bolts are very far apart... measure twice, buy once.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

avalanche00

by avalanche00

darrydonds wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:06 am
neomoz wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:54 am
It should be implied that they are compatible unless Giant specifically lists them as incompatible because these tyres have max 73psi for hookless wheels written on the sidewalls, and Giant's website states:

"Please note that if the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall of a tire is below 72.5psi (5 bar), the tire is tubeless compatible, and is not indicated as being incompatible with hookless rims, it can be used with Giant hookless WheelSystems and does not have to appear on the chart below [...]"

Did you guys read the article? Basically what I took out of it is that Continental is forced to accept hookless compatibility BUT ONLY up to 73PSI. Giant test is above 73 PSI I believe. Also, Continental says they did not confirm claims of any performance benefit from using hookless. PLUS it blew out of the rim when you pump them up to 100PSI.
I think Giant RIMS are a bit better cause they have narrower internal width vs ZIPP tested.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/products/ ... -the-rules