New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rick222

by rick222

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:24 pm
avalanche00 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:43 pm
To me this shows how amateur the cycling industry is. How can rim manufacturers go ahead with hookless without having big tire manufacturers support it??? Anyway, I think what happens is that ETRTO limit for hookless is 73.5PSI regardless of width. I really doubt that Pzero 26 which is not recommended is made differently than 28. I guess the issue is that heavier riders need to go beyond that 73.5 limit on the 26, so Pirelli said dont use them. Probably they dont want a lawsuit on their hands.

Also, I checked the ZIPP website. Their approved tire list is not much better than Giant.

Zipp Tangente Course G40 XPLR gravel tire
Zipp Tangente Speed RT25 and RT28 (both discontinued)
Michelin
Schwalbe
Rene Herse
Pirelli
*353 NSW, 404 Firecrest, and 454 NSW hookless rims are not compatible with 26mm Pirelli TLR tires.
Goodyear
Panaracer
Specialized: SW Turbo RapidAir in sizes 700x26*, 700x28, and 700x30
*303 Firecrest and 353 NSW hookless rims are not compatible with the 26mm tire.
I don't think it's about being amateurish, I think it's about being arrogant and money grabbing.

Giant has been a hookless early adopter and sells a range of compatible tyres. In their corporate mind they are providing customers with a ready made solution: Giant/Cadex hookless rims and a range of compatible Giant/Cadex tyres. Why would the customer possibly need more choice? They don't want customers buying non Giant/Cadex branded tyres, as it reduces their profits. Locking the customer in is their goal.

The same has happened with proprietary stems/bars/seatposts in the past few years. Vendor lock in means more profit.
One issue is the supply chain which is horrible, you never know what is available or how long it will take to get as well as hookless tires being expensive. The Cadex wheels are excellent but the whole hookless mess is turning off riders

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:24 pm
I don't think it's about being amateurish, I think it's about being arrogant and money grabbing.

Giant has been a hookless early adopter and sells a range of compatible tyres. In their corporate mind they are providing customers with a ready made solution: Giant/Cadex hookless rims and a range of compatible Giant/Cadex tyres. Why would the customer possibly need more choice? They don't want customers buying non Giant/Cadex branded tyres, as it reduces their profits. Locking the customer in is their goal.

The same has happened with proprietary stems/bars/seatposts in the past few years. Vendor lock in means more profit.
Cooperation, coordination and integration of products between companies are hard. The Windows PC industry is probably the best example -- endless compatibility issues. When you push for new tech, it'll often break compatibility.

If Giant was only thinking about selling cadex/giant tyres, they wouldn't even bother to test and put the 3rd-party tyres on their list. (But of course, it would also be naive to think Giant wasn't interested in promoting their tyres and put priority of those.)

Proprietary components are indeed a serious danger to consumer choice (freedom) in the long run. Hope the cycling community at large see this (probably not, seeing the general fetish for integrated cockpit).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Weber

by Weber

:welcome:
Hello there,

I have a TCR advanced 2021 and a stem contact SL as you can see with the rear wrist and an adapter to be able to use it without it being the PRO version.

I'd like to push it all the way down by removing all the spacers.

How could I do it if I need the base to be flat?

Does Giant sell different spacers for our bikes?

:up:
Attachments
headset.jpeg

shotgun1

by shotgun1

You might have to get the newer stems that cradle the spacers properly. Most OD2 stems don't fit flush to the spacers. I had to get the exact model of stem that came with my TCR when I needed to lengthen it. I'm guessing you're using the older Contact SLR stem https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contact-slr-od2-stem you'll need to get the 2021 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/cont ... -stem-2021

Another option is just to shave down the back portion of the conical spacer to fit the stem that you have.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

Weber

by Weber

shotgun1 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:35 am
You might have to get the newer stems that cradle the spacers properly. Most OD2 stems don't fit flush to the spacers. I had to get the exact model of stem that came with my TCR when I needed to lengthen it. I'm guessing you're using the older Contact SLR stem https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contact-slr-od2-stem you'll need to get the 2021 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/cont ... -stem-2021

Another option is just to shave down the back portion of the conical spacer to fit the stem that you have.
Its that the older one.

Hello there,

I did think of cutting it to support it but I would like to buy another one so I have two versions, one cut and one unmodified.

Will you know if they sell it?

I think i need this
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/2021 ... spacer-od2

neomoz

by neomoz

darrydonds wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:31 pm
I have the exact sentiment about those wheels. I visit the Giant website from time to time, hoping that the list of compatible tyres got longer.

Due to reports of premature failure by punctures, I was anxious running with the stock cadex tyres. I inspect them after almost every ride and manually patch the cuts with sealant. In several occasions, I have found a shard of glass embedded into the exterior shell of the tyre but it didn't pierce all the way through. Anyway, I have so far done more than 2000km on those stock tyres. So they've done their job after all. I have a pair of Schwalbe Pro Ones ready to replace them but hopefully, those cadex will last until the end of the season.
My TCR pro team came with Course 1 tyres, these are heavy at 400g a tyre but I've found they roll ok and there appears to a be a lot of rubber on them so cuts/glass hasn't been an issue, probably why they're so heavy in the first place, I've done similar kms and the wear looks minimal, reckon I'll get around 5k kms out of them. I was a big fan/user of vittoria rubino pros, so sad to see no vittoria tyres on the list, my past experience with schwalbe tyres was mixed, I had a lot of cut/sidewall issues I hope the newer ones are better at that.

shotgun1

by shotgun1

Weber wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:40 am

Its that the older one.

Hello there,

I did think of cutting it to support it but I would like to buy another one so I have two versions, one cut and one unmodified.

Will you know if they sell it?

I think i need this
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/2021 ... spacer-od2
Yeah, good to have a backup just in case. Yes, your Giant LBS should have it available or by order. All the best.

GiantTCR01

by GiantTCR01

I've noticed some people reporting headset rocking issues. The headset of my TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc 2021 is also subject to rocking when hitting a pothole or large bump. I tried a couple of things to resolve this issue with only partial success.

When I first got the bike, the headset play/knocking would occur during heavy braking as well as bumps.
Took it to the LBS, they did the obvious thing of increasing the preload by tightening the topcap. This resolved most of the play, but in some situations it would still occur. The LBS told me they tightened the top cap as much as they could without the bearings binding.

I increased the pre load a little bit more (5Nm, for what it's worth) and I noticed the play didn't occur during braking anymore. However, when hitting a pothole or large bump I can still hear a loud knocking noise. I tightened up the top cap a lot more than I would typically do on my previous bike and I notice the wheel doesn't fall to one side when holding the bike up. So I don't think there's much room to further increase the preload. The gap between the top of the steerer tube and the edge of the stem is around 3-4 mm, which should be sufficient.

Did anyone manage to successfully resolve this issue? Would adding a micro shim on top of the upper bearing improve the distribution of the load on the upper bearing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

mamaphil

by mamaphil

GiantTCR01 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:49 pm
I've noticed some people reporting headset rocking issues. The headset of my TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc 2021 is also subject to rocking when hitting a pothole or large bump. I tried a couple of things to resolve this issue with only partial success.

When I first got the bike, the headset play/knocking would occur during heavy braking as well as bumps.
Took it to the LBS, they did the obvious thing of increasing the preload by tightening the topcap. This resolved most of the play, but in some situations it would still occur. The LBS told me they tightened the top cap as much as they could without the bearings binding.

I increased the pre load a little bit more (5Nm, for what it's worth) and I noticed the play didn't occur during braking anymore. However, when hitting a pothole or large bump I can still hear a loud knocking noise. I tightened up the top cap a lot more than I would typically do on my previous bike and I notice the wheel doesn't fall to one side when holding the bike up. So I don't think there's much room to further increase the preload. The gap between the top of the steerer tube and the edge of the stem is around 3-4 mm, which should be sufficient.

Did anyone manage to successfully resolve this issue? Would adding a micro shim on top of the upper bearing improve the distribution of the load on the upper bearing? Any help is greatly appreciated!
so make sure the lower wedge and the knurled sleeve are all the way pushed in before tightening the top wedge.

This video might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQe9TJJ ... Composites
Giant TCR Pro 0 - 2020
Norco Optic XT - 2021

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Are these handlebars on sale in the US or on sale anywhere?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/cont ... p-bar-2020
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

bedampft

by bedampft

GiantTCR01 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:49 pm

Get a new frame. Thats the only solution. The upper bearing has to much play in the frame, unless you find a bearing thats way bigger than the usual manufacturing tolerances of the bearing, thats the only solution.

brumbar

by brumbar

I have a MY17 Giant TCR advansed Sl and resently change the original headset bearings. I purchase a replacement set from Giant Spare parts site from UK - i believe this is a current OD2 headset because i have now the same problems with the knocking sound while hard breaking and on bumps. With the original MY17 headset bearings i never have such a problems. I dont know if this is the lower or upper bearing, but for me this is an evidence, that the new bearings are not correct size...

darrydonds

by darrydonds

neomoz wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:31 am
My TCR pro team came with Course 1 tyres, these are heavy at 400g a tyre but I've found they roll ok and there appears to a be a lot of rubber on them so cuts/glass hasn't been an issue, probably why they're so heavy in the first place, I've done similar kms and the wear looks minimal, reckon I'll get around 5k kms out of them. I was a big fan/user of vittoria rubino pros, so sad to see no vittoria tyres on the list, my past experience with schwalbe tyres was mixed, I had a lot of cut/sidewall issues I hope the newer ones are better at that.
Yeah, those Course 1 are quite heavy. Those tyres account for almost all the weight difference between the TRC Adv Pro 0 and Pro 1/Pro Team (about 200g).

Some good news :beerchug: : looks like a new Conti Grand Prix model is just around the corner and it supports hookless tyres! The max pressure for hookless is 73PSI, so it should in theory be compatible with SLR-1 wheels of the new TCR.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/spotted ... t-roubaix/

(The tyre is also being discussed in the "Everything Wheels" section of this forum.)

shotgun1

by shotgun1

DCcyclist wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:41 pm

I just was notified by my LBS that stocks just came in.

To add, the 40mm/110mm actual weight is 349g

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

shotgun1 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:54 am
DCcyclist wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:41 pm

I just was notified by my LBS that stocks just came in.

To add, the 40mm/110mm actual weight is 349g
Thanks so much. Did they say anything about the price?
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com