New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

dadaist wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:54 pm
IMG_5484.jpeg

New bike day! 2022 TCR Adv 2 in "Gloss Cold Iron" color, a kind of blueish grey.

Race-ready, comes in at 8.6kg (with Assioma power meter pedals, cage, garmin mount, light mounts). Was hoping for a bit less (advertised naked weight is 7.9kg), however, I will get some new wheels and tires, that should already considerably reduce weight.
Sweet looking bike although it would better if you showed off the drive side. Lighter wheels, tyres and saddle and it will be below the weight than some of the bikes at the TDF including the brand new Madone!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Geometry aside, does anyone know how the TCR Advanced SL would compare to a Langma Advanced SL in terms of stiffness?

With the TCR, you're stuck with the ISP but the Langma gets a conventional 'Variant SLR' seatpost. Also worth pointing out that the 'Variant SLR' is different from the regular 'Variant' seatposts included with lower end TCRs and Langmas.

dadaist

by dadaist

bobones wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:30 am
dadaist wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:54 pm
IMG_5484.jpeg

New bike day! 2022 TCR Adv 2 in "Gloss Cold Iron" color, a kind of blueish grey.

Race-ready, comes in at 8.6kg (with Assioma power meter pedals, cage, garmin mount, light mounts). Was hoping for a bit less (advertised naked weight is 7.9kg), however, I will get some new wheels and tires, that should already considerably reduce weight.
Sweet looking bike although it would better if you showed off the drive side. Lighter wheels, tyres and saddle and it will be below the weight than some of the bikes at the TDF including the brand new Madone!
Thanks! Yeah, I just ordered Campa Zonda + Pirelli P Zero + light butyl tubes, this should drop the weight by about 600g. A new saddle is on my list as well.

I will take a drive-side photograph after my wheels arrive. Just getting into the bike-photography rules :D Also, need to figure out how to properly upload a photo here.

pmprego

by pmprego

StiffWeenies wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:07 pm
Geometry aside, does anyone know how the TCR Advanced SL would compare to a Langma Advanced SL in terms of stiffness?

With the TCR, you're stuck with the ISP but the Langma gets a conventional 'Variant SLR' seatpost. Also worth pointing out that the 'Variant SLR' is different from the regular 'Variant' seatposts included with lower end TCRs and Langmas.
Can you elaborate on what's different in the "variant slr" seatpost? I've been searching for this variant slr but there is zero info online. The TCR variant is online and I can see for instance that has a standard -15mm setback but if switched goes to +5mm. Do you happen to know if the langma's Variant SLR does the same?

On a different note, I'm not a TCR owner so I haven't followed this thread that carefully. I tried to search but couldn't find the exact info. I know the TCR is ok for 32mm tires but what was the maximum people have used? I would like to use 32C tires which is different from 32mm tires (for instance, I have a pair of 32c tires measuring 34.5mm). Could the TCR fit such a 32c tire (34.5mm measured)?

Thanks!

JOwenSmith

by JOwenSmith

pmprego wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:58 pm
On a different note, I'm not a TCR owner so I haven't followed this thread that carefully. I tried to search but couldn't find the exact info. I know the TCR is ok for 32mm tires but what was the maximum people have used? I would like to use 32C tires which is different from 32mm tires (for instance, I have a pair of 32c tires measuring 34.5mm). Could the TCR fit such a 32c tire (34.5mm measured)?
I run 32mm Gravel Kings during the winter months without issue. I would have to measure out what they are inflated.

pmprego

by pmprego

JOwenSmith wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 pm
pmprego wrote:
I run 32mm Gravel Kings during the winter months without issue. I would have to measure out what they are inflated.
32C then. Thanks!

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

pmprego wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:07 pm

Can you elaborate on what's different in the "variant slr" seatpost? I've been searching for this variant slr but there is zero info online. The TCR variant is online and I can see for instance that has a standard -15mm setback but if switched goes to +5mm. Do you happen to know if the langma's Variant SLR does the same?

Thanks!
Langma seatposts are 357mm long versus 375mm in the TCR. Variant SLR is just lighter at 141g, the saddle clamps should work the same.

McByker

by McByker

Long time lurker, thought I'd share my 2022 TCR Adv. SL.
Lots of info on this thread was very helpful in the build, thanks!
Still waiting for handlebar availability, but too eager to get on and ride :D Will trim fork steerer and brake hoses later.

Question for the forum: the upper headset bearing is very exposed through the gap in the back of the spacers - rain will almost certainly run in. Any suggestions for sealing against the weather?

moock

by moock

Hey TCR owners. Any chance to get some pics in size L ? :)

Hoven

by Hoven

moock wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:45 am
Mine in page 114 is a L :D

moock

by moock

Hoven wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:53 am
moock wrote:
nice!
I also have the exact same saddle height!:)

Can you tell me more about your weight / stiffness of the frame? I own an allez sprint which have good stiffness for sprinting and climbing out of the saddle. Then i bought a Factor O2 and its so soft. I really struggle finding a stiff frameset

Hoven

by Hoven

moock wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:30 pm
Hoven wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:53 am
moock wrote:
nice!
I also have the exact same saddle height!:)

Can you tell me more about your weight / stiffness of the frame? I own an allez sprint which have good stiffness for sprinting and climbing out of the saddle. Then i bought a Factor O2 and its so soft. I really struggle finding a stiff frameset
74kg, super stiff But still comfortable. Climbs like a goat and fast on the flat with high wheel. 32mm tires and it is a Rocket on gravel aswell!

MagicShite

by MagicShite

McByker wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:38 am
Question for the forum: the upper headset bearing is very exposed through the gap in the back of the spacers - rain will almost certainly run in. Any suggestions for sealing against the weather?
Good coat of grease. Personal preference, the shitmano premium green stuff or Finishline Teflon white grease.

Anyways, the gap is better than some of the headset caps where they retain water and actually makes the bearing significantly worn over time.

My TCR has 10,000km in a tropical rainy country and so far so good!

wtneo

by wtneo

Recently build up a TCR adv ML (non-pro) - SRAM AXS red/force mixed groupset, hunt ud44/GP5000STR 28mm, black inc stem-bar.

Pleasantly surprised when the final weigh-in shows 7.3kg with pedals, cages and Garmin mount!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rick222

by rick222

wtneo wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:42 am
Recently build up a TCR adv ML (non-pro) - SRAM AXS red/force mixed groupset, hunt ud44/GP5000STR 28mm, black inc stem-bar.

Pleasantly surprised when the final weigh-in shows 7.3kg with pedals, cages and Garmin mount!

Wow that is an impressive weight especially with pedals etc. what seat is that?