New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Weber

by Weber

shotgun1 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:07 am
Weber wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:40 am

Its that the older one.

Hello there,

I did think of cutting it to support it but I would like to buy another one so I have two versions, one cut and one unmodified.

Will you know if they sell it?

I think i need this
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/2021 ... spacer-od2
Yeah, good to have a backup just in case. Yes, your Giant LBS should have it available or by order. All the best.
Sorry to bother you again.

I was thinking and will the od2 conical spacer fit with space in my od1 fork of my giant advanced? They are different fork diameters.
The stem uses its corresponding adapter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

koermer

by koermer

Raimundo wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:19 am
koermer wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:13 pm
Anyone know where I could get the new seatpost clamp (the 4.5 Nm one) other than directly from Giant? Anyone come across any online retailers?
My bike shop where I bought my TCR is unable to source one for me :(
If you're in europe:

https://www.bike-onlineshop.de/Teile-Ko ... 00102&p=87

https://veloseine.fr/11600155-serrage-d ... -2021.html

The photos on both websites seem to be from the previous version, but the part number (150000102) looks like the correct one. I might be wrong, so it wouldn't hurt to give them a call, just to be sure...
Thank you very much!

shotgun1

by shotgun1

Weber wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:04 am

Sorry to bother you again.

I was thinking and will the od2 conical spacer fit with space in my od1 fork of my giant advanced? They are different fork diameters.
The stem uses its corresponding adapter.
Not sure, as there's a portion of the backside (facing the saddle) of the spacer has that protrusion. If you have it, worth a try.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

darrydonds

by darrydonds

avalanche00 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:21 pm
Did you guys read the article? Basically what I took out of it is that Continental is forced to accept hookless compatibility BUT ONLY up to 73PSI. Giant test is above 73 PSI I believe. Also, Continental says they did not confirm claims of any performance benefit from using hookless. PLUS it blew out of the rim when you pump them up to 100PSI.
I think Giant RIMS are a bit better cause they have narrower internal width vs ZIPP tested.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/products/ ... -the-rules
Not sure what your point is.

I read the article and I didn't learn anything interesting or new. So the author pumped the tyre on hookless rim to much higher pressure than recommended and it blew up. And? Is the point simply to remind newbies to read the instructions and the numbers on the sidewalls?

The standard is max pressure 73 (or 72.5, splitting hair) psi for hookless. Conti adhered to that standard. No one forced anything on anyone. Conti wants to capture the hookless market; so they did what they had to do. One of the main benefits of tubeless is being able to run at lower pressure. Some pros at Paris-Roubaix 2021 had their tubeless at 4.5bar. Giant tests above 73psi the tyres which have recommended max pressure above 73psi. If the tests pass, the tyre makes it on the list, which is *only* for tyres with max pressure above 73psi. So it does not apply to the new conti GP.

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

Hi,

I sold my old TCR a couple of years ago and have just been riding my cross bike on the road, but I really miss having a proper road bike. I was looking at the latest generation TCR Advanced. As I understand, this year it has a carbon steerer, just that it's OD, not OD2 (can't see that being an issue!).

I was looking at sizing. This would be my 4th TCR. I had the very first generation in size medium (as a teenager I could crouch over, and with an adjustable stem I put it up for road races, angled down for TT!!). My last two have been size large. My local dealer reckons I should consider an ML. Below is a picture of my large with a 120mm stem. To be honest, as I'm getting older it was feeling a bit of a stretch, but not much.

If I go M/L, I'd probably need a couple of spacers to bring the bar up, and probably swap the stem to a 120. If I go large, I'd stick with the 110 stem, and probably put an extra spacer in (assuming it's basically same geometry as my old one).

I can't decide which way to go. I normally ride 172.5 cranks, so it's nice that the M/l comes with them, but I'm a bit worried I'll look like I'm on a kids bike! I'm 'only' 6 foot, but I have very long limbs, hence the large bike.

https://imgur.com/a/JhqLqAk

naylor343

by naylor343

Deleted.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

darrydonds wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:33 am

One of the main benefits of tubeless is being able to run at lower pressure.
And also at higher pressures.

A bit OT, but Giant should be applauded for trying to move hookless tyres/rims out of 73psi ghetto, but the rest of the industry is not keeping up, so if you buy a TCR with hookless rims today and want to pump your tyres up over 73psi for a fast ride you're restricted to using Giant/Cadex tyres only.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Supersix56

by Supersix56

Hookless road sounds like a recall waiting to happen.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

neomoz

by neomoz

iamraymond wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:34 pm
Raimundo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:00 pm
Maybe Peak Torque left the o'rings on there also, or undertorqued the assembly (pun intended) , i would imagine that if his perspective/video showed zero faults from his part, the video would still be online...

And the spacers/bolt sleeves on the Giant computer mount are made out of metal, as are the bonded inserts on the base of the mount... when mounted correctly there is no non-metallic material between the bolt head and the stem face plate to compress and give way to slippage.
You're probably right that the video was wrong and Peak Torque took it down himself.

I confirmed that the spacer and the base of the mount which interfaces with the bolt/spacer are metal. I've been really happy with this mount so I'm glad I can continue to use it without worrying about safety.
Yep just had a better look at mine too and the inner piece where the bolts go through is indeed metal. So at the end of the day make sure you don't have those bloody rubber o-rings on.

pmprego

by pmprego

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:30 pm
darrydonds wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:33 am

One of the main benefits of tubeless is being able to run at lower pressure.
And also at higher pressures.

A bit OT, but Giant should be applauded for trying to move hookless tyres/rims out of 73psi ghetto, but the rest of the industry is not keeping up, so if you buy a TCR with hookless rims today and want to pump your tyres up over 73psi for a fast ride you're restricted to using Giant/Cadex tyres only.
The problem with their wheel is that the very high-end and expensive cadex36 have 22.5mm or 23mm internal and 26mm external. Thus, apart from giant wheels, no other tire manufacturer will recommend that. Additinally, the 25c giant tires seem to end up measuring cloase to 28mm in those rims. If they really wanted the 23mm internal they should at least have gone for 28mm externally. I think they missed a bullet there.

Aeo

by Aeo

To clear up the Peak Torque video situation, he commented on the video and mentioned the o-rings. It was his fault and thought about taking the video down. I assume that is what happened shortly thereafter
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Supersix56 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:11 am
Apparently, other vehicles, such as planes and cars, use hookless. But maybe you know better.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

darrydonds wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:45 pm
Supersix56 wrote:
Apparently, other vehicles, such as planes and cars, use hookless. But maybe you know better.
Not sure comparing aircraft tyres with bicycle tyres is an apples to apples comparison. More like apples to diamonds.

Anyway, there are a few threads on WW about why hookless is considered a compromise right now by many riders. Have a search.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Lina

by Lina

darrydonds wrote:
Supersix56 wrote:
I'll switch to road hookless as soon as I switch to tires that are as robust as car tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:44 pm
darrydonds wrote:
Supersix56 wrote:
Not sure comparing aircraft tyres with bicycle tyres is an apples to apples comparison. More like apples to diamonds.

Anyway, there are a few threads on WW about why hookless is considered a compromise right now by many riders. Have a search.
The biggest "compromise" I've seen being repeated was that the conti gp5000tl were not compatible. Now they are so I guess the discussion is over now. Not that hookless is best but that it's now on par with alternatives.