New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

darrydonds wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:25 pm
leonlikestrees wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:42 am
Cemmac wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:06 pm
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/si/tcr-a ... mpact-2022

Help, can I get down this bike under 7,5kg. Wheels 500g, then not really idea.
Thank you
I've got a TCR advanced 1 disc, size large. 8.35kg out of the box, now 7.7 including pedals, computer mount and bottle cages (nothing weight weenie here. Es600 SPD pedals, standard gramin out front mount, and cheap decathlon plastic bottle cages)

Main things I replaced was the bars (contact ones are heavy, maybe over 300g. I put on some zipp carbon bars at 185g), bar tape (deda zero. No idea what the giant stuff weighed but it disintegrated on removal) and saddle (also heavy at 315g I think, I had an Arione 00 so another 165g saved).

Wheels and tyres saved the rest.

If I took off all the bits not included in the weigh in, I'd be under 7.5 kg.

I think the di2 is heavier than my 11spd mechanical though? Although size large bike is always heavy, so maybe you'd get that back if you ride a smaller bike.

On my bike now not many places left to save significant weight without spending a lot of money. Stem is an obvious one but I like the way the stock one integrates. Cassette is another but a lot of money to save any big weight. The. It's thinks like ti bolts etc which to be honest I can't be bothered with (on the wrong forum!)

You serious?! The stock bar tape is usually Stratus Lite 2.0. The roll weights 70g. I doubt your replacement does significantly better.
I didn't replace the bar tape to save weight, however if the giant tape is 70g, it did save 41g. I replaced it with what I had in my drawer because the stuff it came with came off in tiny pieces when I swapped out the bars.

dadaist

by dadaist

Thinking of getting a TCR as well - one of the lower priced builds.

TCR Adv 2 (Full 105 group, alloy wheels) - 8.34kg - 2300 USD
TCR Adv 1 (Full Ultegra group, allow wheels) - 8.2kg - 2700 USD
TCR Adv 1+ (Ultegra with RS510 Crank, which is 250g heavier, weird gear ratios, Giant SLR2 carbon wheels) - 7.96kg - 3000 USD
TCR Adv Pro 2 (Full 105 group, Giant SLR2 carbon wheels) - 7.6 kg - 3400 USD

Which do you think are the best value propositions? Ultegra vs. 105 obviously does not result in much weight loss for these 400 bucks. Surely, it's a bit nicer. For 300 bucks on top however, one gets the SLR2 wheelset, but with a shite crank, which already eats up half the weight gain from those wheels. So one actually should replace the crank straight away, which then brings it to 3.2 to 3.3k and 7.7kg. The Adv Pro 2 feels like a very 'complete' build, put on new tires and saddle, fit the stem and one should be good to go.

However comparing Adv2 and AdvPro2, 1100 USD just for the wheelset and the slighly stiffer fork over the base model is also not that great value, a Fulcrum Wind 40 set should be about the same and doesn't restrict to hookless-ready tires.

In terms of colors, I'd see if I can have a look in person. They all come either some grey/black variant, the Adv2 also in the hemalite brown, the Adv 1 and 1+ in orange and the Adv Pro in the starry night color.

So from the builds, which one do you think is the best proposition?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

dadaist wrote:Thinking of getting a TCR as well - one of the lower priced builds.

TCR Adv 1+ (Ultegra with RS510 Crank, which is 250g heavier, weird gear ratios, Giant SLR2 carbon wheels) - 7.96kg - 3000 USD

Which do you think are the best value propositions? Ultegra vs. 105 obviously does not result in much weight loss for these 400 bucks. Surely, it's a bit nicer. For 300 bucks on top however, one gets the SLR2 wheelset, but with a shite crank, which already eats up half the weight gain from those wheels. So one actually should replace the crank straight away, which then brings it to 3.2 to 3.3k and 7.7kg. The Adv Pro 2 feels like a very 'complete' build, put on new tires and saddle, fit the stem and one should be good to go.

However comparing Adv2 and AdvPro2, 1100 USD just for the wheelset and the slighly stiffer fork over the base model is also not that great value, a Fulcrum Wind 40 set should be about the same and doesn't restrict to hookless-ready tires.

In terms of colors, I'd see if I can have a look in person. They all come either some grey/black variant, the Adv2 also in the hemalite brown, the Adv 1 and 1+ in orange and the Adv Pro in the starry night color.

I'd get a TCR ADV 2 and replace the wheels with my choice of carbon wheels. The SLR's are great, but I'd rather have a choice in it.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

Usernamealex wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:31 pm
dadaist wrote:Thinking of getting a TCR as well - one of the lower priced builds.

I'd get a TCR ADV 2 and replace the wheels with my choice of carbon wheels. The SLR's are great, but I'd rather have a choice in it.

Probably depends how much other stuff you'll change. The pro comes with better finishijg kit (stem, bars, saddle), and also with a computer mount and ride sense. I think pound for pound I've ended up with a better build over the advanced pro2 I could've got for the same money, but it's close

david38

by david38

dadaist wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:11 pm
Thinking of getting a TCR as well - one of the lower priced builds.

Hi,
Be careful with the weights given by Giant. I bought a TCR Adv 2 Disc size L a year ago, it weights ~8.8 kg "out of the shop" (without pedals, with 2 basic Giant bottle gages). Tyres and wheels are heavy. The stem (110 mm) is around 170 g.
David.

mamaphil

by mamaphil

leonlikestrees wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm
Usernamealex wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:31 pm

Probably depends how much other stuff you'll change. The pro comes with better finishijg kit (stem, bars, saddle), and also with a computer mount and ride sense. I think pound for pound I've ended up with a better build over the advanced pro2 I could've got for the same money, but it's close
ride sense did not come with my Pro. Just a heads up!
Giant TCR Pro 0 - 2020
Norco Optic XT - 2021

darrydonds

by darrydonds

mamaphil wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:57 pm
ride sense did not come with my Pro. Just a heads up!
I think models with a power meter don't come with RideSense, which is understandable.

dadaist

by dadaist

Thanks guys! I went ahead and ordered the TCR Adv 2 with 105 and rim brake, tho. Hopefully be able to pick it up in the next few days.

Aeo

by Aeo

Aeo wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:13 am
brearley wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:23 pm
Hylix seatposts are now readily available on ebay for the advanced pro frameset at 133g it's around 50g lighter.
The seller also has hardware upgrade for the seatpost which drops 47g changing the bolts and cradles :thumbup:
Thanks for info
Got this delivered a couple of weeks ago, went with the slightly beefier version for a total saving of 83.6 (original hardware) - 37.9 (J&L hardware) = 45.7 grams

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125287941052

Trying to be careful not to crush the Lupina saddle rails, it held for two weeks with maybe 5 or 6 Nm of torque.
After 9 or 10 hours total riding time, the saddle slipped back because the screws had loosened. You need to bring an 8mm socket to tighten it.
Now I have added some Loctite 243.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

pmprego

by pmprego

That's some 50gr giant can make the TCR lighter. Pinarello took some significant weight from the bike by looking at parts other than the frame.

dadaist

by dadaist

IMG_5484.jpeg
New bike day! 2022 TCR Adv 2 in "Gloss Cold Iron" color, a kind of blueish grey.

Race-ready, comes in at 8.6kg (with Assioma power meter pedals, cage, garmin mount, light mounts). Was hoping for a bit less (advertised naked weight is 7.9kg), however, I will get some new wheels and tires, that should already considerably reduce weight.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

I don't know if it has already been seen here....
Full internal cables

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ji4y1 ... pGdA7wQPmg

dadaist

by dadaist

Ritxis wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:19 am
Full internal cables

Is that supposed to be MY2025, or is that guy just building something himself?

Just saying I don't believe that's a real MY2025. This is literally 2 years away. I don't think they have that model 100% developed and just sitting in workshop like that. Either its completely fake, or it might be an internal study.

A completely frozen design 2 years before launch is not very likely I'd say.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

dadaist wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:49 pm
Ritxis wrote:
Full internal cables

Just saying I don't believe that's a real MY2025. This is literally 2 years away. I don't think they have that model 100% developed and just sitting in workshop like that. Either its completely fake, or it might be an internal study.

I think it goes without saying that it is something handmade ...... it could be from a TCR 2021 from back pages

bedampft

by bedampft

dadaist wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:49 pm
Ritxis wrote:
Full internal cables

That's just some idiot trying to kill himself. :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com